Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably depends on which appliance hits the market first. Mazzer should be more fun though...

·
Registered
149 Posts
With how they have been showing up at shows, I would guess they are going to be coming out around the same time. Are you really that split in your decision? If they both came out at the same time, which would you choose?

·
Registered
83 Posts
With how much noise Mazda has been making with it's new vehicles and the CX-3, i have a feeling that it's good enough to have some people who initially had the HRV in mind to wait to see the CX-3. In the end... i have a feeling the CX-3 will be ahead.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unfortunately , it takes more than a superior product to become a sales success. The press almost universally picks the 3 over the Civic. How do the sales compare? Most folks are not so product savvy as the ones on this forum. They go by Honda's reputation based on its superiority years ago. They don"t even bother to go to a Mazda dealer for a test drive. They think "Mazda?, that's an off brand."

If Mazda can continue to introduce good products with their limited resources over a long period of time, Maybe they will begin to get enough converts before they go broke. Its going to be tough sledding for them. If they slip into Mitsu. mode, with nothing much going in R&D, they are dead meat.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately , it takes more than a superior product to become a sales success. The press almost universally picks the 3 over the Civic. How do the sales compare? Most folks are not so product savvy as the ones on this forum. They go by Honda's reputation based on its superiority years ago. They don"t even bother to go to a Mazda dealer for a test drive. They think "Mazda?, that's an off brand."

If Mazda can continue to introduce good products with their limited resources over a long period of time, Maybe they will begin to get enough converts before they go broke. Its going to be tough sledding for them. If they slip into Mitsu. mode, with nothing much going in R&D, they are dead meat.
I don't think they go full Misubishi, they have far too much going for them to chuck it all away on subprime sales. I believe the problem with Mazda is the marketing. First of all their commercials are awful, second of all they don't have the budget to compete with big red...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Never driven a Mazda in my life, so the test drives will obviously be a huge factor in my buying decision. At this stage, I'm leaning towards the Mazda however. The looks are growing on me, and it sounds like the car will have better performance than the Honda. And for now, I still prefer having a vehicle made in Japan instead of Mexico. Will be curious to see if Honda can get their quality issues worked out in the next year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Mazda however.
There are other advantages to the CX-3. It has forward alert and brake assist while it seems that the HR-V has only rear assist. The CX-3 electronic package, the same as the new package in the Mazda 3, has been getting excellent reviews. The HR-V's has drawn some criticism.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are other advantages to the CX-3. It has forward alert and brake assist while it seems that the HR-V has only rear assist. The CX-3 electronic package, the same as the new package in the Mazda 3, has been getting excellent reviews. The HR-V's has drawn some criticism.
The only concern I have that will render all the advantages irrelevant is road noise. If Mazda can't button up the CX3 to at least segment norm I don't think I can deal with it, theres only so much loud music one can listen too....

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only concern I have that will render all the advantages irrelevant is road noise. If Mazda can't button up the CX3 to at least segment norm I don't think I can deal with it, theres only so much loud music one can listen too....
I hear ya man. Love the look of those 18" wheels but given Mazda history with road noise the smaller wheels and higher profile tires, like the Honda will come equipped with, might be a smarter choice.

Have to wait on more reviews.

Or better yet, a test drive on a coarse textured road surface.
For me , a comparison with my CX-5 will tell the tale; less or same noise acceptable, more noise not.

Could not go with the Honda, though I admit it may be the more pragmatic choice. Styling is generic at best. Chassiswise, Honda is increasingly becoming Toyota. Yawn.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hear ya man. Love the look of those 18" wheels but given Mazda history with road noise the smaller wheels and higher profile tires, like the Honda will come equipped with, might be a smarter choice.

Have to wait on more reviews.

Or better yet, a test drive on a coarse textured road surface.
For me , a comparison with my CX-5 will tell the tale; less or same noise acceptable, more noise not.

Could not go with the Honda, though I admit it may be the more pragmatic choice. Styling is generic at best. Chassiswise, Honda is increasingly becoming Toyota. Yawn.
I like the little Renegade as well, although its about as near an antithesis to CX3 one can get

·
Registered
190 Posts
I like the little Renegade as well, although its about as near an antithesis to CX3 one can get
The Renegade looks fine, but its not the type of vehicle I'm looking for. I don't really care about off-roading or even a car that looks like it is meant to off-road. I'd be surprised if people are deciding between the Renegade and the CX3. They may be CUVs but they are very different vehicles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It seems like there aren't too many CUVs that tend towards the off-roading type though. I'm sure that the Renegade will do very well with those people. There isn't much direct competition that I can think of.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could mazda go with attractive lease rates to try and lure people away from Honda, Jeep et all?

·
Registered
275 Posts
could mazda go with attractive lease rates to try and lure people away from Honda, Jeep et all?
with how some of their new vehicles are, they may not need that.
there vehicles are nice enough for at least me to justify spending a bit more a month to get something i actually like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mazda does hold some premiumness within it's segment and among it's competition, this is even more clear when you compare say a .... CX-3 to Honda's upcoming HRV

·
Registered
277 Posts
I first dismissed the Honda because the Mazda is much better looking and probably offers better performance. But the Honda appears roomier, easier to see out of and may be quieter. If reviewers do not ding its acceleration or handling, I will give it a try along with the Mazda. Renegade? If I wanted a Fiat, and I don't, I would go with the better looking 500X. Chevy Trax? Too slow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the dark green exterior color choice on the HRV......I also noticed several out of the box color choices for HRV which, for me, is putting HRV as my top rank. Not sure what color choices CX-3 will have. Honda isn't the best offering large awesome wheels to entice us to think of them sporty and I must have it now.....on the other hand, Mazda has a more exciting exterior and I would bet some ultra rad wheels, 18" to start......but to finish this post off, it will all depend on price.....if HRV or CS3 even dare to charge over the $20k mark, I'll be a mad hatter and I will be very disappointed......... Even the top of line, loaded with leather and what not, it better not cost over 20k or I will yell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw a dark blue (locked) HRV at the Boston auto show. It was sitting on the floor looking incredibly bland - blue is definitely not its color. But I think it might look nice in other colors - somebody mentioned the moss green. Also, from what I could tell through the locked and closed windows, the interior was pretty nice - very airy.

In terms of utility, the HRV competes well. If you've never seen the magic seats in action, you really ought to go visit a Honda dealer. You can look at a Fit today and get a very clear picture of what the space will be like in an HRV.

Everyone ought to keep in mind when making a purchase that the CX3 joins the Juke way down at the bottom of the list for usable cargo space. They both traded space for looks. Nothing wrong with that (I put a big premium on looks), but there it is. The CX3 has 41 cubic feet with the seats down. The Soul has 61. That's 50% more space in back. You can do that when your car is basically a big square box.

This will be a shocker to a lot of people who haven't kept frequent with Honda. Two decades ago Honda was a synonym for quality. No more. They halted production at the Mexico plant this spring for quality issues, and just last week management announced a world wide refocus on slipping quality. To my knowledge, Mazda's been rock steady in quality dating back to my 1990 Miata. Well, my 1993 RX7 R1 did have some teething problems, but it was a hot car and you expect that a bit.

s

1 - 20 of 21 Posts