Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How small is the cargo area behind the rear seats? Could two small suitcases (carry on type) be put back there plus some other stuff?

I haven't seen inside of the CX 3 yet. I saw two on the dealers lot on a Sunday (didn't want to deal with sales guys) but they were locked. Everything that I've read about these cars has been positive except maybe the cargo capacity.

Also, they are really cute, so is this going to turn into a 'chick' mobile? I had an '07 Scion Tc that I thought was a nice looking car. Turns out I was the only mid-fifies guy that thought is was a nice car. Everybody else driving one was female and about twenty. When I sold it, it was to an 18 year old girl.

Your input will be appreciated and in the meantime I will try to look at and maybe drive a CX 3 before too long. That could be dangerous ;)

Edited to add that I have nothing against women. I'm married to one. I just don't want to drive a car where I'm one of the few guys that have one and the rest are soccer moms or twenty somethings girls.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the space is tiny... tho i think it'd fit 2 carry on suitcase and/or 1 check in just fine tho. 2 check ins would prob mean some sacrifice on rear view and/or one of the back seats. watch the NYtimes video posted today. It should give you a decent idea with costco toilet papers.

I tried to fit a jogging stroller in there. in that case height wasn't as much of an issue as width.

·
Registered
21 Posts
one large suitcase or two carry-on sized bags are just what will fit in back with the cargo cover in-place. that was our minimum requirement and we tested it... Cargo cover does detach and there is also a floor panel you can lift out that gives you another 2 - 3 inches if you remove it. the NYT video shows you this panel as a way to hide items. Not a lot of space but just barely enough for our needs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From Frank's first picture there is actually more room than I thought there would be.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can most likely fit more if the cargo cover was removed as that restricts the height of the trunk.
It is pretty small, no doubt about it. And as for the rest of the rear, the seats will NOT lie completely flat because they have the rear seats angled 'up'...and the rear is kinda higher off the ground that some CUV's so it is a bit more difficult to get 'stuff' in, larger stuff in particular, than others.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've had mine for a week today and yes, it's small rear cargo area with the seats up . Having the Honda magic seat coupled with a fully reclining front passenger seat would make a world of difference. I can manage though.

The CX-5 is too big for my current garage and my current needs. Looking forward to seeing Mazda's Keuro concept unveiling at Frankfort Auto Show later this month.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If this is your only vehicule and you need cargo space, look for something else.
However, as a second vehicule or if you're single, it could be a really awesome car !

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have been mainly looking into the HRV and the CX3. The HRV has way more cargo space, but overall the Mazda seems like a better car, and it also just has a bit more soul to it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I went to Lowes today to buy lights for my Office. I did put the seats down of course, and I removed the cover just in case I needed the height (that hidden floor hides the cover perfectly) I bought 3 contracter packs of the 48" long bulbs. Looks like I could have done 2 rows of 4. Just a heads up that, Yes this car is smaller; but it will haul a fair amount too.

Attachments

Reactions: Fantzypantz

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been mainly looking into the HRV and the CX3. The HRV has way more cargo space, but overall the Mazda seems like a better car, and it also just has a bit more soul to it.
My next door neighbor bought a Juke. I asked is there was anything he did not like about it and immediately he said, 'the lack of space'.

I don't really know how to two compare with the seats down.

Space...it's something I wrestle with: how much is 'too much' and how much is likely to not be enough? I don't know the answer. I will say that if I'm interested in 'soul', I be happy to get enough with a little Patti LaBelle or something. Cars are about haulin' stuff, even it it is just yourself too an from work each day.

·
Registered
195 Posts
From the look of that Lowes trip the space should be sufficient for general daily use unless even for carrying longer packages. There's also additional external racks you can add if needed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
From the look of that Lowes trip the space should be sufficient for general daily use unless even for carrying longer packages. There's also additional external racks you can add if needed.
It's all in comparison to other cars in it's 'nich'. With the possible exception of the Juke (I haven't looked up the numbers) it has far and away the least amount of total usable space behind the driver of any 'CUV' as I think they are called. It's basically a small hatchback. If that's enough space, then it's enough space.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cargo space is great but I think people have to realize that a vehicle like this isn't for a bunch of cargo space. There are other options if that is a big priority for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work in animal rescue, and can get three 27-pound tubs of cat litter plus a couple of bags of food in the cargo area without removing the cover. That's all that I need :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.