Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read, there are several ways for oil to be monitored.
How does the CX3 do it?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Fixed is based on Time and/or miles while Flexible is a calculated oil life based on a bunch of factors like driving conditions, engine temp, engine load, driving habits, etc. There will be a warning when using Flexible that you have to use 0w20 full synthetic as it uses that oil consistency to calculate oil life.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There will be a warning when using Flexible that you have to use 0w20 full synthetic as it uses that oil consistency to calculate oil life.
I knew I read that somewhere! Someone once asked me for proof that full synthetic was necessary for flexible plan and I couldn't recall where I read it. It's not in the owner's manual but you're right you get a warning when you choose that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew I read that somewhere! Someone once asked me for proof that full synthetic was necessary for flexible plan and I couldn't recall where I read it. It's not in the owner's manual but you're right you get a warning when you choose that.
Doesn't it require 0w-20 regardless?

So it doesn't actually test the oil; just how the oil should be based on how you have driven? An article said that GM did that in 1998; I thought they would actually test the oil by now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Testing the oil is a lot more complicated as it will need to take into account what random "additives" each brand of oil has which would mean complicated calculations which would be a nightmare on a programming standpoint and a nightmare on a diagnosis standpoint in saying that system fails. Also yes our cars do take 0w20 but it is also possible to run 5w20 but don't quote me on that. Stay safe and run 0w20. I could of sworn there was a thread about this from like a year ago but I dont remember.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Doesn't it require 0w-20 regardless?

So it doesn't actually test the oil; just how the oil should be based on how you have driven? An article said that GM did that in 1998; I thought they would actually test the oil by now.
yes but if you go with the flexible plan you must use full synthetic, which is more expensive. If you however just replace the oil every 5000 miles then you can use the cheaper synthetic blend.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes but if you go with the flexible plan you must use full synthetic, which is more expensive. If you however just replace the oil every 5000 miles then you can use the cheaper synthetic blend.
Is that in the manual? As I read it, 0w-20 is ALWAYS required. But it is a long and poorly documented manual, so I might have missed it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
No it is not in the manual, hence my first comment replying to Snoogie. However once you choose the flexible plan in your infotainment settings, it alerts you that you must use full synthetic oil. Yes 0w-20 is required, but you can go with full synthetic or conventional oil.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it is not in the manual, hence my first comment replying to Snoogie. However once you choose the flexible plan in your infotainment settings, it alerts you that you must use full synthetic oil. Yes 0w-20 is required, but you can go with full synthetic or conventional oil.
Okay, I thought 0w-20 was exclusively synthetic, but I see it comes as a blend also. I will have to be careful about my oil changes! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
I'm tempted to switch mine over to oil monitoring and send samples out to Blackstone Labs to do a UOA. It would be interesting to compare the two results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts