Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does the burglar alarm work?

Hello,

I own a CX3, which I purchased last June. I am very happy with my car.
This weekend, someone tried to rob the car by breaking the driver's window.
I understand the car has a built-in burglar alarm. How does it work? In what situation will it set off?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you had these vile creatures damage your car.

I’m struggling a bit with this one because the European spec might be quite different to the US but here the car does have an anti theft and alarm system which is linked to all the doors and also the immobiliser. There is an intruder sensor in the overhead console where the map lights are and the whole alarm obviously has a sounder (not the horn). If you want to check if yours has the intruder sensor, lock the car with the remote and the driver window lowered. Wait for 60 seconds until it arms then either lean in or pass a broom or piece of wood in to see if it activates.

Snoogie might know more about the US system.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will do what you suggest.
I live in Panama, so my car may have different specs that the US or European versions.
I got my car back today with a new window!
So happy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I called the Mazda dealer today. They explained that the car has a built-in alarm, as you mentioned. And that putting in another alarm locally may damage the car's computer. They recommended an alarm system based on pendulum, heat or vibration, independent from the computer, that would prevent these window damages - setting off before the damage occurs.
Do you have any knowledge on these kind of systems?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Also, I called the Mazda dealer today. They explained that the car has a built-in alarm, as you mentioned. And that putting in another alarm locally may damage the car's computer. They recommended an alarm system based on pendulum, heat or vibration, independent from the computer, that would prevent these window damages - setting off before the damage occurs.
Do you have any knowledge on these kind of systems?
Thanks!
No, I’ve never used any of the aftermarket alarms since cars came with quite good factory installed ones. Would it stop determined thieves and vandals or would it just make a noise after they have done it?

Any other members care to comment?

·
Registered
872 Posts
No alarm can prevent this kind of damage. Only activate once the damage has occurred.

I am against aftermarket alarms. I've heard too many horror stories of hacks into the electrical system.

Its almost impossible to steal a modern vehicle unless you tow it. Most break in's occur because people left valuables in the view of thieves. My best practice is to leave nothing of temptation in view of anyone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you had these vile creatures damage your car.

I’m struggling a bit with this one because the European spec might be quite different to the US but here the car does have an anti theft and alarm system which is linked to all the doors and also the immobiliser. There is an intruder sensor in the overhead console where the map lights are and the whole alarm obviously has a sounder (not the horn). If you want to check if yours has the intruder sensor, lock the car with the remote and the driver window lowered. Wait for 60 seconds until it arms then either lean in or pass a broom or piece of wood in to see if it activates.

Snoogie might know more about the US system.

Best wishes.

_________

across the pond difference, again!!

From my owner's manual

If the theft deterrent system detects an
inappropriate entry into the vehicle,
which could result in the vehicle or its
contents being stolen, the alarm alerts the
surrounding area of an abnormality by
sounding the horn and flashing the hazard
warning lights.

It saddens me when I see damage done by others.
Good thing it was only a window.
Nice to know it's fixed

·
Registered
138 Posts
In the St.Louis area there seem to be a lot of car break in at parks and others events where there are lots of cars.They say you should lock your car and not have any valuables showing.
I agree with the no valuables but for as locking your car they just bust your window which take seconds.
I have no valuables leave my car unlocked and my windows down weather permitting to at least stop having my car and window damaged.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
I don't think that the CX-3 alarms include a shock sensor for this kind of damage.

It's mostly for preventing the entire vehicle from being stolen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always wondered what' the point of a theft deterrent system when someone can just jump into your car and take off if it's running? Most cars with push button start will shut off as soon as the car is shifted out of park if the key is not in range. But not Mazda. As long as it's running, someone can take off with it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I always wondered what' the point of a theft deterrent system when someone can just jump into your car and take off if it's running? Most cars with push button start will shut off as soon as the car is shifted out of park if the key is not in range. But not Mazda. As long as it's running, someone can take off with it.
If you remote start , it will shut off when you open the door, even when the key is in range.
But , as you stated, you can drive away without the key.

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
I don't know about most cars but my old Infiniti G37x and the Honda HR-V that we test drove behave the same as our CX-3.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The CX-3 does not come with a built-in alarm, even in the GT series. This is true, at least here in the local market. Perhaps in other places around the globe it is different. I called and spoke to Mazda, after I checked my window sticker awhile back (which did not mention an alarm system). An alarm is not standard equipment (at least in these parts). The engine immobilizer is standard equipment. The rep at Mazda told me that the vehicle would have had to have been ordered with one from the factory or added on by the dealer. That is not a problem for me as I am now retired and thus no longer park downtown in an open lot as I did for many years. Back then, if the car did not automatically come with one (like my CR-V and Pilot), I'd have the dealer install it as first accessory. Where I go nowadays, an alarm is no longer a necessity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts