Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I am reading the forums and seems a lot of people have been getting roughly 700km per tank of gas? I'm barely getting 500km?

My CX3;
2015, FWD, 2.0L PETROL (AUTO), MAXX Australian model

I usually fill up with 91 ron when I am at one bar and always reset my trip A to see how many KM's a tank of gas travels for and it's usually around the 500km mark.

I don't drive it in sports mode, and to and from work it's pretty much 40% highway 60% city driving.

Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I usually get 400km (250 miles) or even a little less on a tank. That's with roughly 80% city driving.

FWD models have a little bit of a range advantage as they have a larger fuel tank than the AWD and get slightly better fuel economy. The FWD tank is approximately 0.8 US gallon bigger. 700 km seems impossible for a petrol version of this car. I'm not sure how the diesel models fare as those are not available in the USA. When the fuel gauge reads the last bar, it is my understanding that there's still around 2 US gallons of gas in the tank. When I run it down until the "range" indicated by the computer is in the single digit miles and then fill up, it takes around 9.6-9.7 US gallons to fill it. Specs sheet says the tank is 11.9 US gallons for AWD models, 12.7 US gallons for FWD models.

Running through the math here... Converting units to 'merican imperial units because it makes more sense to my stupid 'merican brain:

700 km = 435 miles.
If we assume you can operate the car at an average of 40 miles/gallon for the whole tank, then 435/40 = 10.875 gallons. That would leave you plenty of gas (1-2 gallons!) left in the tank to make it to the next petrol station unless you find yourself in the outback (the place, not the Subaru, lol). Could be feasible with FWD and favorable driving conditions or a very skilled hyper-mileage driver.

With a FWD model and you use every drop of gas in the tank... The minimum fuel econ needed to go 700km = 435/12.7 = 34.25 miles per gallon average on the whole tank. Seems reasonable without having to put in a ton of effort. For AWD, the min becomes 435/11.9 = 36.55 miles/gallon. Still possible, but it'll take some effort and conscientious driving to do it, I think.

Do this in either FWD or AWD model will require ignoring any low fuel indicator warnings and you'll be going off reservation without any way to know how much fuel you've actually got left once you're down to that last 2 gallons. It'll be like how soccer (er, football... futbol?) has the mysterious "stoppage time" that no one really knows or understands how much is remaining besides the referee. I'm not even sure you CAN use every drop in the tank. Depends on where the fuel pump is pulling in the gas and it's not good to let those run dry.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I usually get 400km (250 miles) or even a little less on a tank. That's with roughly 80% city driving.

FWD models have a little bit of a range advantage as they have a larger fuel tank than the AWD and get slightly better fuel economy. The FWD tank is approximately 0.8 US gallon bigger. 700 km seems impossible for a petrol version of this car. I'm not sure how the diesel models fare as those are not available in the USA. When the fuel gauge reads the last bar, it is my understanding that there's still around 2 US gallons of gas in the tank. When I run it down until the "range" indicated by the computer is in the single digit miles and then fill up, it takes around 9.6-9.7 US gallons to fill it. Specs sheet says the tank is 11.9 US gallons for AWD models, 12.7 US gallons for FWD models.

Running through the math here... Converting units to 'merican imperial units because it makes more sense to my stupid 'merican brain:

700 km = 435 miles.
If we assume you can operate the car at an average of 40 miles/gallon for the whole tank, then 435/40 = 10.875 gallons. That would leave you plenty of gas (1-2 gallons!) left in the tank to make it to the next petrol station unless you find yourself in the outback (the place, not the Subaru, lol). Could be feasible with FWD and favorable driving conditions or a very skilled hyper-mileage driver.

With a FWD model and you use every drop of gas in the tank... The minimum fuel econ needed to go 700km = 435/12.7 = 34.25 miles per gallon average on the whole tank. Seems reasonable without having to put in a ton of effort. For AWD, the min becomes 435/11.9 = 36.55 miles/gallon. Still possible, but it'll take some effort and conscientious driving to do it, I think.

Do this in either FWD or AWD model will require ignoring any low fuel indicator warnings and you'll be going off reservation without any way to know how much fuel you've actually got left once you're down to that last 2 gallons. It'll be like how soccer (er, football... futbol?) has the mysterious "stoppage time" that no one really knows or understands how much is remaining besides the referee. I'm not even sure you CAN use every drop in the tank. Depends on where the fuel pump is pulling in the gas and it's not good to let those run dry.
I drive a FWD automatic and my last fill-up looked like this:

Total milage of the car: 59,770 km (37,143 miles), total average: 15.97 km/l (37.6 mpg US, 45.1 mpg IMP).

Distance since last fill-up: 695 km (431.9 miles), so very nearly 700 km.
MPG (not from onboard computer): 16.97 km/l (5.89 L/100 km, 39.9 MPG US, 47.9 MPG IMP).
Amount filled in: 40.95 L (10.82 gallons US, 9.01 gallons IMP).
Theoretical amount left in tank: 7.05 L (emprty tank light had just about started to light up but there was still 2 dashes left on the graphic display).
Average speed on tank: 58 km/h
Since was done on about 70% country roads (flat with the occasional hill) and 30% city driving.

So yes it can be done, but as stated You need less hills, less city driving (that's what ruins it for me) and less highway (high speed driving kills the milage, but not as bad as city driving).
I mainly use the adaptive cruise control and stick to the speed limit (50 km/h in city, 80 km/h outside the city and 110-130 km/h on the highway).

·
Registered
893 Posts
Like Vipre77 I get about 250 miles per tank, mostly city driving during rush hour, and sometimes I drive a bit aggressively (hey it's fun lol). As Santa explained so thoroughly, it pretty mush depends on how/where you're driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was just going to make a thread on this, but I'll post here:

So I shouldn't be too worried about my 3000 mile 2017 CX3 getting no more than 25.2 average mpg since new? I've never reset the fuel monitor, I like to see what my average is over the life of the car...

We also have a 2016 with almost 9000 miles on it, and that one is getting 30.5...do I just need to put more miles on my CX3?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts