Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I’m cheap,

I buy “bling” for my baby on flea-bay. $500 for a nav.chip? No, $50 on flea bay, same with door sill strips, floor mats, and now, hood struts. The hood struts arrived quickly and look to be great, but-tum... uh.... how do I mount these things? There’s a zillion different mounting positions, but probably only one right one. Anyone have access to an exploded diagram or a decent picture for the “right” way?
Yes I have contacted the seller, but money has been exchanged, and while I would like to be pleasantly surprised with an answer, I’m hedging my bets a bit here...

Thanks,
Edward in Vancouver

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I’ve come to a few conclusions:

There are two types of hood struts available, those that are specifically designed for the cx3, and those that are “universal”, and will fit the cx3 in the same way size 34, 36, 38, and 40 pants will fit me— with some minor alterations of course... “my” struts costing all of cdn$ 48.00 are the universal type.

YouTube is a dangerous and crazy place.
Enough of videos of guys pop -riveting strut brackets to flimsy 18 guage fender walls or bolting them hood liners with a single washer to “ beef up” the connection, that’s just scary, the hood does weigh in excess of 30 kgs.

I will mount the moving end ( cylinder that encapsulates the rod) to the hood hinge bolts, I do have an included “l” bracket for this purpose, the factory hinge bolts and hood mounting area is designed for this kind of load, so it only makes sense to mount one end of the struts here.

I will make a bracket for the other end that will bolt on to a heavy guage bar, don’t know what this is called, looks like part of the suspension system, but the holes are there, and it looks strong enough to take the load.

Being cheap, I “ salvaged” the metal frame of a queen size bed for this bracket. The material is L shaped and aprox 11/2” x11/2, and made of some kind of high carbon steel, plenty strong for the purpose.

I’d like to upload some pictures, but and having difficulty with that...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made the brackets this morning, you see them installed on the lower left of your screen, this is the passenger side. I’m happy with this as it meets my criteria:

The mounting brackets are robust and anchored to a part of the vehicle that will take this kind of load

The brackets are unobtrusive.

Next project: a wood and fibreglass rooftop carrier, I have factory installed rails and crossbars

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi shift 74,

Are those oem Mazda struts? And they fit behind that little box that has the rubber hood bumper on it? My struts are too long for this application.

Thanks
Edward

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine were one of the cheapest on eBay. As my posts state, they came with no instructions whatsoever.

By using the hood hinge mounting screws as point “a”, and by lifting the hood aprox 2” higher than the original prop-stick, the ends of the struts gave me point”b” to mount the other bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts