Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an audiophile and one of my passions is car audio... Don't confuse this with loud bass that you can hear from a mile away, that is NOT my cup of tea. I like an in-car listening experience that has the detail of a high-end pair of headphones, but can get as loud as a concert!

Just started getting the pieces together for the build:

-Audiofrog tweeters and midbass (active)

-JL Audio TW3 10" (2) subs in a sealed box

-Zapco amps 480watts to front, 1000watts to sub

-MiniDSP to tune, and Fiio X3 hi-res player as the source

With the Fiio as source, the factory audio will be completely bypassed and mostly left functional for phone calls, etc., except for the door speakers.

The entire vehicle will be fully sound deadened with KnuKoncetpz and Soundskinz products.
All wiring will be KnuKonceptz and RCAs will be Stinger 8000 series.

I will be building a sealed sub enclosure out of baltic birch plywood.
The amp rack will be made out of perforated aluminum with LED back lighting.

Amp rack and subwoofer(s) box:

Chopped up the cover to allow it to sit flat on the sub box, then added grills to it:

I made the tweeter pods using pvc fittings, aluminum and wrapped it in vinyl upholstery:

Sound deadened the doors:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Very impressive David.

like the tweeter angling for optimal imaging.

What holds the pod to the dash ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very impressive David.

like the tweeter angling for optimal imaging.

What holds the pod to the dash ?
Thank you very much!

Yes, getting the tweeters almost on axis and reducing the windshield reflections was high priority for me...

To secure them to the dash, I used a tiny bungee cord that hooks to a random point under the dash! LOL! It's very secure, but still gives me the ability to rotate their direction as needed (or if needed) while tuning...

Btw, I really like the Soundskins sound deadener... It's from your neck of the woods. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm an audiophile and one of my passions is car audio... Don't confuse this with loud bass that you can hear from a mile away, that is NOT my cup of tea. I like an in-car listening experience that has the detail of a high-end pair of headphones, but can get as loud as a concert!
OMG! You ARE from California! I am some jealous! That's VERY impressive!

Thank you for all the details ... I was thinking of living with the Bose setup, but now I'm inspired to steal at least some of your ideas. Unfortunately, here in short-summer, primitive Maine we cannot be as detailed as pristine California :--)

When you say "entire car will be fully sound deadened", all four doors ... or doors, plus floor, roof, trunk, etc.?

Again, great write-up, thank you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG! You ARE from California! I am some jealous! That's VERY impressive!

Thank you for all the details ... I was thinking of living with the Bose setup, but now I'm inspired to steal at least some of your ideas. Unfortunately, here in short-summer, primitive Maine we cannot be as detailed as pristine California :--)

When you say "entire car will be fully sound deadened", all four doors ... or doors, plus floor, roof, trunk, etc.?

Again, great write-up, thank you.
Thank you very much! I'll update this thread as I get more work done.

When it's done, the sound deadening will cover most areas of the car... As it sits now with just font doors deadened, it is already noticeably more quiet. Deadening the dash area to kill the engine noise will be the next big challenge...

·
Registered
745 Posts
You certainly did a thorough job on the front doors!
The dashboard, firewall, etc. ... please continue giving us lots of pictures :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You certainly did a thorough job on the front doors!
The dashboard, firewall, etc. ... please continue giving us lots of pictures :)

Thanks! I'm quite OCD about this stuff... :nerd:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm working on a faceplate that will hold the Fiio x3 audio player, MiniDSP remot, bass knob and an aux usb port. It will fit in the area in front of the shifter...
I have already removed the 12v outlet, and the cables will run through the opening. I'll rewire the 12v outlet to add a couple more usb ports to power my dash cam, etc.

I made a template and then cut and bent it out of stainless steel:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Someone has an engineering background ... plus a CNC machine, with a laser cutter, mill, and 3D printer?
He knows what he wants and then goes out and makes it! A maker?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone has an engineering background ... plus a CNC machine, with a laser cutter, mill, and 3D printer?
He knows what he wants and then goes out and makes it! A maker?
Not exactly... I have a couple Dremels, a bench grinder, a metal brake and a drill press (among other basic, crude tools)! Lol

But thanks for the vote of confidence! I enjoy metal fabrication immensely. :)

P.S. I do dream of a shop with the equipment you listed, plus a lathe, tig welder and much more...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not exactly... I have a couple Dremels, a bench grinder, a metal brake and a drill press (among other basic, crude tools)! Lol

But thanks for the vote of confidence! I enjoy metal fabrication immensely. :)

P.S. I do dream of a shop with the equipment you listed, plus a lathe, tig welder and much more...
All the more impressive, you did it "by hand"!

I've found a good drill press is a prerequisite to virtually any sort of even half-way precision project. I've an ex-student/otaku who has an extremely well-equipped basement wood and metal shop, incuding a CNC and 3D printer ... foolishly offered his services :--)

P.S. What kind of headphones are you trying to approach?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All the more impressive, you did it "by hand"!

I've found a good drill press is a prerequisite to virtually any sort of even half-way precision project. I've an ex-student/otaku who has an extremely well-equipped basement wood and metal shop, incuding a CNC and 3D printer ... foolishly offered his services :--)

P.S. What kind of headphones are you trying to approach?
Thanks!

I agree with the importance of a drill press...

My current, favorite set-up is Sennheiser HD650s and a Shiit Audio DAC and AMP.
That is my reference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mind me asking your dimensions on that sub box? It's not clear to me that you jettisoned the spare tire for space or not.

I love that metal mesh underneath the amps that you've fed the RCA cables and power cables through. That's a fantastic look.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mind me asking your dimensions on that sub box? It's not clear to me that you jettisoned the spare tire for space or not.

I love that metal mesh underneath the amps that you've fed the RCA cables and power cables through. That's a fantastic look.
Thank you! It's an 1/8" thick perforated aluminum backed with an 1/8" thick frosted polycarbonate. I had the idea to use it on an amp rack I built last year (pics below) and I've since wanted to use it on a larger scale... :)

The box is: 35w x 17d x 6h and 1.352 cf.

The spare is still on board... It's part of what holds the weight off the trunk and it's contents. My original concern was weight and the rear squatting, but adding the weight of the audio only move the rear down slightly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Take two on the faceplate... I made a mistake on the first one.

The Fiio's on/off switch has to be pressed when the screen goes to sleep. That switch is on the left side of the player, hence the cutout for my fat fingers to push the button.
It sucks, but I don't have the option of "waking" it with the buttons on the front.

Next issue: I didn't like the bulge that came from wrapping the vinyl around the corners around the player, so I cut the vinyl at the edges and I will be adding a cover over the cut outs (see aluminum sheet in the background) to hide the edges... I actually think it will look much better with the cover and it will have a more finished look.

This idea has been a real challenge and has been very tedious and time consuming, but I think I like how it's coming together. :)

Also, I removed the 12v outlet and wired it into a dual usb under the dash, to power the audio player and the dash cam. I'll need to access to the usb from the player and that is how I uplaod new music to it...

There is a lot going behind this thing...

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
While I do think that anybody who adds a single decibel to the sound of an exhaust should be shot at dawn, your modifications are very impressive. Nice work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While I do think that anybody who adds a single decibel to the sound of an exhaust should be shot at dawn, your modifications are very impressive. Nice work.
Thank you! I won't be adding any sound to this exhaust... I just put some 4" tips on for looks and that's it. If anything, I will do everything I can to make this car more quiet. :)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts