Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, everybody. And Happy New Year. I’m a happy owner of 2019 CX-3 Sport since 12/10/19. This is my first Mazda after a long line of Toyota’s and Lexuses. Most recent was 2007 RAV4 V6. Switched 270 ponies to 148 and pleasantly surprised by agility and even more - by efficiency. Looking forward to learn a lot from you, guys.

I know it’s a bit premature since I have just a bit over 1200 miles on a clock - but my normal mileage is about 25K a year - I’d like to know how often I should change:
1. Engine oil & filter (I usually do it every 5K) and if Mobil 1 0W20 is good for skyactiv
2. ATF, transfer case and rear diff (I usually do it once in 2 years - about 50K)
3. Air and cabin filter (once a year in spring)
4. Spark plugs (on my RAV I did it once in a 4 years - 100K - because it was a hard enough procedure and iridium worked fine)

This is just for beginning. And BTW, I’m in US, Connecticut.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, everybody. And Happy New Year. I’m a happy owner of 2019 CX-3 Sport since 12/10/19. This is my first Mazda after a long line of Toyota’s and Lexuses. Most recent was 2007 RAV4 V6. Switched 270 ponies to 148 and pleasantly surprised by agility and even more - by efficiency. Looking forward to learn a lot from you, guys.

I know it’s a bit premature since I have just a bit over 1200 miles on a clock - but my normal mileage is about 25K a year - I’d like to know how often I should change:
1. Engine oil & filter (I usually do it every 5K) and if Mobil 1 0W20 is good for skyactiv
2. ATF, transfer case and rear diff (I usually do it once in 2 years - about 50K)
3. Air and cabin filter (once a year in spring)
4. Spark plugs (on my RAV I did it once in a 4 years - 100K - because it was a hard enough procedure and iridium worked fine)

This is just for beginning. And BTW, I’m in US, Connecticut.
Congrats on your new ride! I’ve just had mine for 9mos now and I simply follow the schedule based from owner’s manual...here in Cda it is recommended to change oil every 6mos or 8K km whichever comes first - my 1st oil change I used Castrol Syntec 0W20...I would assume Mobil is fine as well

Air and cabin filter - again I will just follow the scheduled recommended interval same with the ATF, transfer case & diff fluid

Spark plugs...too far away for me to worry about that as I might not even reach that mileage on my CX3 as it is just a leased vehicle.

Just curious, didn’t you consider the CX30 prior to getting the CX3?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome another CT resident!

My process has been oil change twice a year, spring/fall(I also put less than 8k miles a year so thats another factor) but full synthetic can take easily 6k+ and 6 months of usage. Theres a big debate about how often oil should be changed and some even push it to 10k but personally I go by time. Unless you have gasket leaks where you are burning out oil causing levels to drop, then thats another story which I doubt any of us will arrive at that anytime soon.

Car is still new to see any benefit to dif/trans fluid changes and I doubt many have ventured to diy this yet.

Cabin I would suggest twice a year. Idk why but CT has horrible air quality along the coast and my cabin filter is usually pretty bad in 6 months probably due to our lovely highway and city traffic situation.

Sparks are probably good to do around 80-100k.

If anything I would be looking into a replacement for the oem tires. Not sure what mazda uses now but the oem tires for 16-17 were pretty bad and quite a few of us reported cracking with less than 20k miles and within 2 years. Some of us went with all terrain tires while others just switched brands for something cheaper which ironically work better.

*Also remote starter install is ideal for warming up car in winter but also getting fluids running so we dont over-wear the engine/trans with cold start driving. Go aftermarket for sure since mazda dealer will just contract a local place and upcharge you a profit margin. Places like starlander beck in Milford are backed up warranty and are insured and will give you a much better unit/remote for the price which is also better than dealer pricing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To tekbis

Tekbis, thank you for your recommendations. As for CX-30 - my idea was to get something I like and economical. I can imagine CX-30 is much faster having almost 190 ponies but I already had relatively small car with 270 (RAV4) and with my free spirited driving never made more than 20 mpg. Assuming CX-30 will give me around 24-25. CX-3 gives 30 and with my mileage (25-30K annually) it is a big difference. As for maintenance - my RAV4 was given to my grandson with 207K miles on it and nobody believes that mileage is high. I’m kind of maintenance freak, sorry...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SlyCoopers, thank you very much. I’m thinking about having remote start installed - it is a really very convenient feature. The only thing - I don’t like the idea of using the phone as a remote since cell signal in my area is hit or miss - prefer separate remote even if it makes my key ring a bit bulky. But will do it in a nearest future.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just follow the Service Schedule or wait for the reminder on the Infotainment panel. Either way you will be changing the oil more often than is really needed.

The recommended 0-20W full synthetic oil is good for about twice the distance / time as the old dino oil. For all of my vehicles I have changed my oil in spring and fall. Since retiring I'm not driving as far, so this schedule is even more frequent that the recommended service interval. I checked with my dealer and they are charging over $100 for this service. Since I bought my CX-3 used I am doing my own oil changes for less than half the cost.

Sprak plugs, do you still need to replace these? I would only consider spark plug replacement if they were faulty. My 2009 Tribute had the original ones in it when I traded it in last April. They were ten years old and the vehicle had 250K kilometres on it. There was no change in performance or fuel mileage over the entire life of the vehicle.

Enjoy your CX-3. They are so much fun to drive and up here in the snow they are amazing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
SlyCoopers, thank you very much. I’m thinking about having remote start installed - it is a really very convenient feature. The only thing - I don’t like the idea of using the phone as a remote since cell signal in my area is hit or miss - prefer separate remote even if it makes my key ring a bit bulky. But will do it in a nearest future.
I had a remote starter installed in my CX3 and very handy in really cold mornings! Mine is a 2-way remote with LED lights and sound confirmation. I never trust those mobile app based remote starters as usually they are not as reliable, takes a while to transmit and receive commands and they may have yearly subscription fees. Plus you are out of luck when there is no cell signal or you are out of coverage area...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts