Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I just had a very frustrating experience, my car (cx3 2018 gs) had trouble starting, as if the battery stalled, but that stopped and then the engine itself sounded very strange. The battery light briefly came on, then disappeared, then the engine light. It did not flash. I called my dealership who advised me to have it towed. Towing guy first explains that it could be a poor batch of gas (..?) but when he heard how bad the engine sounded, he agreed something bigger was going on,
He checked the engine, and sure enough, some rodent had started chewing on one of the wires to the battery. But of course the fun doesn’t stop there.
He checked to the left side and pulled up a handful of crumbled soft plastic looking stuff, comparing it to styrofoam. He then showed me that the entire plastic piece or whatever it is, that sits in that place, was all in pieces and crumbles. He informed me that that had not happened overnight, it was something that could’ve been going on for months and months. Here’s the kicker and why I am so upset; I had my car in for service less than a month ago. Just regular oil change, but they always check everything. Or so I thought. The towing guy said that it was incredible they’d missed all that stuff. The wire thing probably happened after, but the rest of it...? Nope.
I call the dealership again and explained what I’ve been told. I was very upset, as I know this will cost me a lot of money. And obviously right now with COVID and shut downs, and being in a lock down zone, money is something I and so many others, do not have.
The service agent explained that it was probably just the wire, and that was an easy fix, but I explained to her that my concern was the plastic and since they’d missed that, what else couldn’t they have missed? And what else have those pesky rodents chewed through?!
it is of course not covered by warranty, and I don’t know yet if my insurance will cover this. I am yet to call them, I want to hear that the service agent says,
Sorry this was a longer rant, I’m just frustrated and devastated, I take such good care of my car and I am extremely disappointed that they didn’t see that. I know nothing about cars, but I’m not an idiot and even I know that all that crumbled plastic didn’t come to look like that overnight.
So, my question is: does anyone have an idea of the expensive of something like this?
What can I do in the future to prevent this? Does Mazda have a sort of rodent repellent?
What else should I have them check? I do not trust them at the moment, that has been severely breached.
Thank you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friendly neighborhood rodents. My solution when I was storing my autos over the winter months was to place moth balls in all the nooks ans crannies around the engine compartment. They are repulsed by the odor. You will have to replenish them time to time. Your mechanic might not like working on your car though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! Thank you for your reply. They fixed it today, turns out the mouse or whatever it was, certainly had some fun in there. It had chewed through three other wires and some damage to one of the wires to the battery.
they got rid of the crumbled plastic cover at the bottom, I was told it is only there to prevent road noise..?
I also learned that peppermint oil mixed with water and then sprayed in all the high risk areas is a good anti rodent option.
I have to go back to the dealership service on Monday though, I think I found the nest of the damn thing or definitely something that looks like it doesn’t belong in the engine bay....

·
Registered
561 Posts
just for future reference, it is very rare a shop will ever check all the stuff they say they do as a 'complimentary inspection'. Here we have all these fancy branded name x-number point inspections that dealers and other big name shops say they do and the only thing that checklist is used for is to upsell you something. 99.9% of the time theyll just check everything off during an oil change if theyre busy and just send in the paperwork. Some have inspections points like all lines/bushings/joints are checked etc and I know damn well noone is addressing those considering some of the cars I have taken in throughout the years. The real irony is when they magically 'find' something that they mark as bad and should be fixed preferably there asap, but it was something that was already done.

My biggest frustration was a firestone service center that I trusted hired new staff and the guy was trying to upsell me things I literally had done a month ago pushing urgency etc. Yea its unfortunate but this is why many of us become 'car folk' and do stuff ourselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts