Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I'm thinking of changing my factory halogen head lamps to LED or HID (whichever one is easier to install). Anything white and brighter. I'm wanting a plug and play kind of deal. Has anyone tried this out yet and can suggest some products?? Thank you!!!!:D:):D
Hi, remorej.

I have a base 2018 CX-3 GX in Canada which have crappy halogen low beams (H11) and high beams (9005). I tried my hardest to live with them but I bit the bullet and purchased a set of LED's from Amazon.ca for around $50 Cdn for a pair. Total cost was around $100.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076DT3QNS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076DSCBLN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

They come with inline decoders to prevent vehicles with advanced circuitry from showing error codes.

Thankfully, the CX-3 doesn't use advanced circuitry for its headlights, so I connected the bulbs directly to the vehicle. It took me just a few minutes to install (but it took me 20 minutes to troubleshoot why the low beams didn't turn on--the connector polarity is reversed). Since the low beam bulb connectors are reversed, I used electrical tape to ensure that the connection doesn't pop off.

I don't have pictures to show you, but I can assure you that the difference is literally night and day. The LED bulbs are at least twice as bright and are very white (possibly just a hint of blue). The dispersion pattern for the low beam is very close to the original halogens and do not blind oncoming traffic.

One thing I was worried about was the fact that Canadian vehicles need DRL's. These LED bulbs have no problem with the lower voltage setting of the CX-3 in DRL mode. They don't flicker, either, as happens in some other vehicles with other LED bulbs. The intensity of the low beam bulbs just dims a bit, just like the original halogens.

I'm super happy with this purchase and I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering upgrading their crappy halogens to LED or HID. The advantage of LED over HID is the ease of installation and no need for extra hardware such as a decoder.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you guys know how to change the side lights or parking lights? I have changed the headlights to Led ones and I want to replace the parking lights to LED too but I dont know how to replace them, I can see the socket, I tried to turn it to right and left but it is very hard, does anyone know how to replace them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey there everyone

Here are the different OEM halogen bulbs on our CX3 2.0l Skyactive from France. It's a Elegance version, the base model.

Our model of lights is a little bit different from yours:

My DayLight Running lights, always on when the car is turned on even if lights are off, they are common W5W bulbs.

My LOW BEAMS bulbs, H11 just like you guys

Here are the HIGH BEAMS bulbs, it's a H15 bulb

Could you please help me out with the best upgrade solution in my case thanks ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi All,

I've done this - replaced both Hi and Low beam halogen bulbs with LED. Results were great, until I noticed that, other drivers didnt like it very much. Also the reflective nature of the light colour in rain wasn't very nice.
Needless to say I didnt like the factory fitted halogens, as they are that yellow tinge colour.
Changed to Osram night Breakers 2.0 for the low main driving light (Projector housing & no issues with other drivers), also the colour is nicer, with blue/white tinge. It's worth noting that very few non OEM spec bulb will have the same life span.
Osrams will have about 70% -80% life span vs the Factory fitted halogens. I'm fine with that.
I kept the LED bulbs in the Hi Beam though, has awesome spread and range. No issues as I don't drive with these on, with oncoming traffic.

Also worth noting that, the Stock low beam halogen bulbs were phillips brand, and the stock Hi beam were Osrams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Technically, LED upgrade bulbs are not road legal. LED upgrade bulbs can’t be classed as road legal because they cannot be E marked or have the British Standard mark.
MOT history is one of the most important data required to evaluate a car's working condition, it helps us identify the problems that the car has faced and its advisories help us in maintaining the car to a premium quality.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts