Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a 2016 CX-3, and I really do miss not having a rear camera for parking. I've come across this site :

Rear Camera Plug & Play Kit

There's an installation video there also, but instructions aren't in English.

My local Mazda dealer in Ireland are charging approx 600 euros to add a camera, so I'm wondering if anyone here has installed one of these themselves, and was it an easy enough job? Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
What model do you have? I thought all CX-3's came with the backup camera, it certainly seems to be an option every manufacturer boasts about and includes in their advertising these days. My GT model has it and I have mixed feelings about it.

It is nice to be able to more accurately see how close your are to things behind you, or if there is anything on the ground behind you as you begin to reverse. However, I can't be the only one who just can't seem to be able to reverse straight into a parking space while using the display as a guide. Every time I try, I end up so crooked within the space it looks like I'm a first time driver. I've given up with it and have reverted to just using my mirrors like I have for the past 50 years.

Have you considered an aftermarket dash cam style for a backup camera. Some of those systems have a rear-facing camera in addition to the forward unit and come with a small display. It's not nearly as large, but should cost much less than the price quoted by your dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What model do you have? I thought all CX-3's came with the backup camera, it certainly seems to be an option every manufacturer boasts about and includes in their advertising these days. My GT model has it and I have mixed feelings about it.

It is nice to be able to more accurately see how close your are to things behind you, or if there is anything on the ground behind you as you begin to reverse. However, I can't be the only one who just can't seem to be able to reverse straight into a parking space while using the display as a guide. Every time I try, I end up so crooked within the space it looks like I'm a first time driver. I've given up with it and have reverted to just using my mirrors like I have for the past 50 years.

Have you considered an aftermarket dash cam style for a backup camera. Some of those systems have a rear-facing camera in addition to the forward unit and come with a small display. It's not nearly as large, but should cost much less than the price quoted by your dealer.
It's a 2016 1.5 TD 2WD SE Nav 5DR, so I'm guessing the base model. I bought it used a few months ago, and I'm surprised there's no camera as it does have sat-nav. Strange. I've thought about the dash cam idea, but with there being the screen already in the car, it feels a shame not to integrate that?

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's a 2016 1.5 TD 2WD SE Nav 5DR, so I'm guessing the base model. I bought it used a few months ago, and I'm surprised there's no camera as it does have sat-nav. Strange. I've thought about the dash cam idea, but with there being the screen already in the car, it feels a shame not to integrate that?
That is strange that the car came with the sat-nav, but not a backup camera. I agree it would be nicer to make use of the existing screen, but with the cost quoted to do that, it would be difficult to justify. Still seems like a lot of money for what should be a straightforward install.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The base SE model sold in 2016 in the UK didn't come with a reversing camera. There was an option on this model for sat-nav but not for the camera. Guess it depends on the market and competition in pricing with other manufacturer's models in the same category.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Depends on the tri level selected. If your car has satnav, then it would have the potential to connect the reverse cam. You just need the harness and the cam. Part numbers can be attained from dealers. But there have been other users that have done this successfully on the forum.
I opted for a separate screen Dashcam & reverse camera.
Search the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2015 CX3 SE Sat-nav version and no camera either. I've purchased a oem camera from ebay, but I'm assuming I can't just find the female plug in the boot area and plug it in? Will I have to buy the harness too? Any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts