Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Please help me unlock my handsfree?
Recently bought a 2018 CX3 Active manual and when trying to make a call using the button on the steering wheel, it says the handsfree is locked.
It is so frustrating!
Tried holding radio power button, search down button and number 5 button together for several seconds. No luck.
PS. This radio does not have an Auto-M button which I often see mentioned.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Chanty, welcome to the forum.
The manual will be your best bet to explain this.
The only thing I can think of is that, the phone settings have to allow outgoing calls via bluetooth AND the car unit needs to be able to read the contacts for this to be done remotely.
Answering shouldn't be an issue regarding this.
Think of it as bluetooth headset - Easy to answer calls at the ouch of a button, not so easy to make calls, with out pre-selecting contact from address book, then pushing the call button.

As I'm sure you have noticed, the full MZD (from the dynamic and up) connect screen works as a remote display for the address book, therefore phones stay locked. Answering/making whatsapp calls aren't so easy, requires Android Auto upgrade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chanty, welcome to the forum.
The manual will be your best bet to explain this.
The only thing I can think of is that, the phone settings have to allow outgoing calls via bluetooth AND the car unit needs to be able to read the contacts for this to be done remotely.
Answering shouldn't be an issue regarding this.
Think of it as bluetooth headset - Easy to answer calls at the ouch of a button, not so easy to make calls, with out pre-selecting contact from address book, then pushing the call button.

As I'm sure you have noticed, the full MZD (from the dynamic and up) connect screen works as a remote display for the address book, therefore phones stay locked. Answering/making whatsapp calls aren't so easy, requires Android Auto upgrade.
Thank you. Unfortuantely that isn't the issue. The steering wheel functions for calling and radio volume, etc,can't be used at all (locked) . Manual is pretty useless. It doesn't deal with locked handsfee system. Bluetooth isn't a problem. Connects fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If none of the steering wheel functions operate I would suggest you visit your Mazda dealer because many features on the car are not accessible to the owner to make changes. If there is no description in the manual on how to reset the operation of the steering wheel controls then I would suspect this is one of the cases where a tech will need to do it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thank you. Unfortuantely that isn't the issue. The steering wheel functions for calling and radio volume, etc,can't be used at all (locked) . Manual is pretty useless. It doesn't deal with locked handsfee system. Bluetooth isn't a problem. Connects fine.
So it connects - thats a good sign. So that means 2 options:

A) Can you answer incoming calls via the steering wheel buttons?
If YES, then the issue may be on your pairing settings/handset side OR that the ability to make calls without unlocking the handset is not an option.
I say this because how are the contacts displayed on a basic single line digital display (that you posted above). I also need to point out that the MZD connect infotainment system is not the same at the above picture you uploaded. Infotainment contains all the features and abilities, where as the active (basic digital car radio) does not. So it may just be that you need to dial out from your phone and then the vehicle allows the call to be taken via bluetooth. Like the old school bluetooth that cars came with, working like a 'hands free kit'.

B) If no then the issues is that the vehicle cannot control the device so seems like a module (in car) issues.

Also for the purpose of thorough trouble shooting, try the above when your handset is both locked and unlocked.

Best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts