Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I swapped in the JDM Astar brand JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light bulbs (use code JDMASTAR for %5 off befo re shipping).
Link
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

The bulbs are their current latest and brightest 8th gen model. These are very high lumens ratings but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

The install is VERY easy and I'll post a video about it with bright day light for better visuals. All I had to supply was two black zip ties.

I've had their 6th Gen bulbs in my E90 BMW 3 series (halogen) and my 2013 NC series Mazda MX-5 Miata Club. They worked liked a champ and never had issues over 15k miles I've had them, and I drive A LOT day and night with lights on to make sure others notice my car. 6th Gen bulbs with flexible ribbon heat sinks was necessary to fit behind tight confines of those two cars.
CX-3 had plenty of space behind headlights thanks to Kodo design which made the hood longer.

Anyways here are the pictures taken with Sony Alpha camera. You will notice the new light by their whiter color. The patter covers more with very little to say about hot spots, they just don't exist.
These bulbs are made to act like halogens when it comes to light spread. Some pictures were taken in HDR to see the fainter lights that most digital cameras won't show but you can see with naked eye.

Unboxing

The Drivers, they run cool, most of the heat comes out of bulb's heat sink.
All connections are water tight and OE direct fit to H-11. Nothing to mess around with.

Compared next to the H11 Halogen bulbs.

Dim OE Halogens, just not as bad as Honda HR-V lights.

Side by side with JDM Astar 8th Gen

In HDR Mode (Triple Shot, not Photoshopped)
You may notice the JDM Astar LED has a shadow or unlit area right at 6 O'Clock position. This is due to their bi directional placement of LED and the reflector housing. But it is not a big issue since we won't be looking at too close in front of our cars on the road, but much further.
I will try to see if reflective tape on black plastic pieces of bulb will help the issue.

Both lights JDM Astar

HDR. You can see more lights on side spreads vs OE while keeping same pattern.

The car.

When my PayPal transaction failed due to some sort of server error, I emailed them and they responded quickly, in very good native English. So that's a plus vs many vendors that don't have decent customer service.

Stay tuned for install video and engine bay shots.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I swapped in the JDM Astar brand JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light bulbs (use code JDMASTAR for %5 off befo re shipping).
Link
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

The bulbs are their current latest and brightest 8th gen model. These are very high lumens ratings but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

The install is VERY easy and I'll post a video about it with bright day light for better visuals. All I had to supply was two black zip ties.

I've had their 6th Gen bulbs in my E90 BMW 3 series (halogen) and my 2013 NC series Mazda MX-5 Miata Club. They worked liked a champ and never had issues over 15k miles I've had them, and I drive A LOT day and night with lights on to make sure others notice my car. 6th Gen bulbs with flexible ribbon heat sinks was necessary to fit behind tight confines of those two cars.
CX-3 had plenty of space behind headlights thanks to Kodo design which made the hood longer.

Anyways here are the pictures taken with Sony Alpha camera. You will notice the new light by their whiter color. The patter covers more with very little to say about hot spots, they just don't exist.
These bulbs are made to act like halogens when it comes to light spread. Some pictures were taken in HDR to see the fainter lights that most digital cameras won't show but you can see with naked eye.

Unboxing

The Drivers, they run cool, most of the heat comes out of bulb's heat sink.
All connections are water tight and OE direct fit to H-11. Nothing to mess around with.

Compared next to the H11 Halogen bulbs.

Dim OE Halogens, just not as bad as Honda HR-V lights.

Side by side with JDM Astar 8th Gen

In HDR Mode (Triple Shot, not Photoshopped)
You may notice the JDM Astar LED has a shadow or unlit area right at 6 O'Clock position. This is due to their bi directional placement of LED and the reflector housing. But it is not a big issue since we won't be looking at too close in front of our cars on the road, but much further.
I will try to see if reflective tape on black plastic pieces of bulb will help the issue.

Both lights JDM Astar

HDR. You can see more lights on side spreads vs OE while keeping same pattern.

The car.

When my PayPal transaction failed due to some sort of server error, I emailed them and they responded quickly, in very good native English. So that's a plus vs many vendors that don't have decent customer service.

Stay tuned for install video and engine bay shots.
These look nice, excellent job!! Any flicker? And did you have to install a relay harness at all??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far no flickers after a few months. Nothing needed. Just plug in and go. Can be done in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice write up!

Quick question, I've tried searching everywhere but no luck. How do these lights interact with the DRLs?

Did you have to disable them or do they work the same as the halogen bulbs (turned on but lower voltage and no flickering)? Seems like it's hit or miss between vehicle manufacturers. Some require a harness others work just fine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Question for the OE poster, what model CX-3 do you have? Are these bulbs for the hdlts on the sport and touring models or are they for the Grand Touring which has LED hdlts?

Tony

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question for the OE poster, what model CX-3 do you have? Are these bulbs for the hdlts on the sport and touring models or are they for the Grand Touring which has LED hdlts?

Tony
Not OP but these LEDs are for the Sport/Touring headlights that come with halogen bulbs. :)

I'm fairly certain that the LEDs on the Grand Touring are not accessible without cracking open the housing...this is true for most if not all cars that come from the factory with LEDs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok thanks that does look good. I was a little bummed that HID hdlts on this car on the lower models don't show a whiter light so these bulbs are definitely the ticket to get better lighting.

On my Vette and Shelby with HID hdlts when I drive them at night it's like daytime when those lights are on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've tried them in our Honda Civic (8th Gen. H7 version), and they did not work particularly well there, at low beam dazzled the oncoming clearly so optics was not okay.
They looked very impressive on the car, but they gave actually worse light seen from the cabin because of the strange spread of the beam.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had them on my previous Forester and hated being "Hi beam blinked" by cars approaching me. My lights were perfectly aligned, but there is just something about the blueish glare of HID lights that angers many drivers.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok thanks that does look good. I was a little bummed that HID hdlts on this car on the lower models don't show a whiter light so these bulbs are definitely the ticket to get better lighting.

On my Vette and Shelby with HID hdlts when I drive them at night it's like daytime when those lights are on.
CX-3 doesn't have HID on any trim level in any markets that I'm aware of. Lower spec models get halogens and only the top-trim models get adaptive LED lights, but not in every market. For example, apparently in Mexico they only get the halogens at all trim levels.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The lower models of CX-3 have halogen hdlts but they are Xenon projector style HID hdlts. Take a look in your hdlts if you have the lower model you will see that round magnifying glass type thing in your hdlts those are what HID lights have.

This is a good read if you haven't read it before:

Battle of the Headlights: Halogen vs. Xenon vs. LED vs. Laser vs. Conversion Kits - autoevolution

The adaptive LED lights on the top model are neat (the lighting part only IMO), don't really care about the feature of turning the beam left or right based on your steering wheel input that's just another thing that'll screw up with time along with all the other iactive stuff the top model gets.

Basic is good sometimes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info!

Thinking of doing this same upgrade, to both low bean and high beam.

I would like to know, which direction are the LED modules orientated - pointing horizontally or vertically?
I ask as I've noticed that not all cars have the same reflective path for the lights (espicially for projectors), and this wouldn't make a difference with the normal halogen globes as it's 360 light radiation. But as we see LED kits are not 360.

This question would apply to both the H11 and HB3 fitting within each headlight.
I've looked at the HB3 reflector, and i would say the LED would have to be facing horizontal.
But as for the H11 (low beam) I have no clue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey there everyone

Here are the different OEM halogen bulbs on our CX3 2.0l Skyactive from France. It's a Elegance version, the base model.

Our model of lights is a little bit different from yours:

My DayLight Running lights, always on when the car is turned on even if lights are off, they are common W5W bulbs.

My LOW BEAMS bulbs, H11 just like you guys

Here are the HIGH BEAMS bulbs, it's a H15 bulb

Could you please help me out with the best upgrade solution in my case thanks ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts