Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

H.I.D. Conversion Questions

10K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  demicrown 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Gang!

Been under a rock hiding for a while, hope you are all doing awesome :)

Just a question to those that have done your HID conversions from the Halogen Headlights, I did mine today but I have noticed that they do not turn on with the auto headlight feature. Did I do something wrong? Am I missing something?

I attached 2 pictures, still pretty light out. Can't wait to see them in the dark!

Appreciate all replies!

D

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: DJ9999
#3 ·
@demicrown I actually took them all out and re-did the install and they work great now! I got them local here at uniway computer (odd to me too) they sold me a kit for $105 made by HID Lamp,Energy Saving Lamp,China HID Lamp Manufacturer

Chinese company, doubt they are super high end, but I am happy with them. I haven't seen much for light scatter or cut-off yet. You are correct I used the Halogen Projectors. I think I will do the High beams next.

Here are two more pictures I took today in the underground garage.

Attachments

#5 ·
The halogen headlights consists of the lowbeam projector and the high beam reflector.

If you are installing an hid kit for the lowbeam halogen capsules, it is best to use a HID wiring harness.

The harness will connect to the battery, the frame of the car and also to the lowbeam bulb socket. This will help it to know when to trigger the HID ballasts so that your auto on headlight feature will function normally.

If you install HID ballasts directly to the lowbeam bulb socket, you can will run into electrical issues and potentially cause fire to your headlight wiring. Those wires were not designed to pull in the amount of amperes it takes to start up an hid ballast

Reactions: 1362
#6 ·
Appreciate all the help everyone :) I have got them all buttoned up and working great! I will be putting LED bulbs into the high beams soon. Just for that extra when needed driving through the mountains at night.

#7 ·
Hey Rampant. Just wanted to see how things have been going a few months out.

I would love brighter headlights, but swapping out the halogen projector is beyond my ability. But I am, of course, worried about how HIDs work with a halogen projector. Have you had issues with people flashing you (for blinding them)? Have you found that you are getting a lot of usable light despite not having proper HID projectors?

Thanks!

#8 ·
If your a light freak like me, I suggest you to get a proper retro. Drove for 2 hours on a pitch black highway and crossed countless cars, none of them flashed me, I read somewhere that power is nothing without control.

In my case I've tried from better halogen bulbs, LED, lens swap, nothing beats a proper retrofit.

#13 ·
That's really nice of you. I appreciate it. If possible, I'd love to see how they work down the road. I keep reading that the extra light from the HIDs tends to be right in front of the car, giving a (false?) sense of better illumination while not actually lighting up things far ahead.

Again, your help and input is great.

#14 ·
@demicrown, these are 2 that I was able to grab quick the other night. When I am able to get out late again I will take one while on an unlit road. I could see how they would say it gives the false sense of better illumination, I have noticed that street signs do light up further in the distance with them. I think my only true main reason for wanting them is I do like the light it gives off so much more than the Stock Halogen. I also don't like the cost of high end replacement halogens, I find these last so much longer. I hope this helps :)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.