Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I've been doing some research on the tires on the GT (Yokohama Avid 215/50/R18) and have found many less than stellar reviews. I have an AWD and am concerned about traction in rain/wet roads, as well as in the snow; I've also read that these tires don't wear well.
What have your experiences been with these tires? What are some replacement options? Just got my car, but am thinking about making a tire change.
Thanks!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Many people here said the stock Yokohama tires did very well over the past winter. I live in Seattle and they handle our rain slicked hills like a champ. Im in no rush to spend money on something thats not broke.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Interesting, ours came with Toyo Proxy tires... With 7K on them no appreciable wear and they handle very well. No snow but we hit some major rain storms on trip to Florida and they did fine!!!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
The UK 18 inch wheels come with Toyo tyres.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello all,
I've been doing some research on the tires on the GT (Yokohama Avid 215/50/R18) and have found many less than stellar reviews. I have an AWD and am concerned about traction in rain/wet roads, as well as in the snow; I've also read that these tires don't wear well.
What have your experiences been with these tires? What are some replacement options? Just got my car, but am thinking about making a tire change.
Thanks!
I find the tires are pretty good in all conditions including snow but when the temperatures drop far below freezing, we now have frozen rubber leading to poor performance

·
Registered
327 Posts
If dead-of-winter performance is your only concern, I'd just get a set of snow tires on a cheap set of 16" steel wheels. Keep the stock setup for the rest of the year and run them till they're bald.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Yokohamas on the GT trim were pretty good during the rainy/slick conditions. The only time that these tires let me down was around NOV during the early stages of snow fall (<1in) here in Madison where a fresh layer of snow managed to make me slide quite a bit. This is also during a rough 32ish degrees F. Get yourself some decent snow tires on 16 steelies and you'll feel much better in the snow. The stock tires are good enough for all other weather conditions from what I currently experienced.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My GT came with the Yokohama Avid S34 tires. In my honest opinion, they are excellent on dry pavement, they are acceptable in the wet and on snow. They are very noisy tires though. The second noisiest I have ever owned. The first being the yokohama avid TRZ.

No joke, the Dunlop Sportmaxx Summer 19 inch low profile performance tires are quieter than the yokohama.

I'm replacing my cx-3 tires next summer with Michelin primacy mxv4. These are serenely quiet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In sweden we get Toyo proxes tires from fabric. I can guarantee these tires, no matter how good they are during summer they cannot perform safely during winter. And that also includes every fabric tire, because they never put winter tires on them.
If you live in a place were it drops to below/near freezing point you gotta have winter tires. No doubts. And then you should have 16" rims that can handle winter conditions well.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I always run on winter tyres from November until April. It's not just about snow but the cold and wet performance is boosted too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great comments! I live in Canada and will have to face cold and snow eventually and I have read that these tires aren't great in those conditions, especially when it gets really cold. My current concern is traction in rainy/wet conditions, as I'm going on a summer road trip where I will certainly encounter this. I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but was surprised to see so many poor reviews online for tires on a new car!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for all the great comments! I live in Canada and will have to face cold and snow eventually and I have read that these tires aren't great in those conditions, especially when it gets really cold. My current concern is traction in rainy/wet conditions, as I'm going on a summer road trip where I will certainly encounter this. I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but was surprised to see so many poor reviews online for tires on a new car!
You shouldn't have been surprised. Unless you're buying a high performance vehicle, stock tires are universally crappy. At least the stock tires on our CX-3s are nowhere near as godawful as the RE92's that come stock on so many vehicles. My husband's Subaru came with them, and they were literally dangerous to drive in the rain. The Yokohama Avid's aren't very good, but they're not terrible. I plan on running mine to the ground and then replacing them with a good summer tire, as I run dedicated winters. I did run the Avid's during one late spring snowstorm we got this spring. They were fine. Nothing I'd want to drive in a bad storm, but they were OK.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+1 on RE92s being awful.

Truthfully - most OEM tires on all vehicles are generally poor performing. I am actually surprised with the Yokos so far on the CX3, they seem to grip fairly well and I havent had any issues in the rain yet.

Im not seeing any other options out there in the stock GT size (at least in USA), maybe by the time mine wear out there will be more options.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Im not seeing any other options out there in the stock GT size (at least in USA), maybe by the time mine wear out there will be more options.
I'd replace with 225/50/18 when the time comes. Only slightly larger rolling diameter and a whole other world of options for less money.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Winter tires perform really badly in rainy conditions.
I don't know if you've had a bad experience or if you've been using cheap tyres but they are designed to work better than summer tyres in the wet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always run on winter tyres from November until April. It's not just about snow but the cold and wet performance is boosted too.
I don't know if you've had a bad experience or if you've been using cheap tyres but they are designed to work better than summer tyres in the wet.
No, they are unlikely not. Winter tires are designed to work the best in snow or in low temp but only if it is dry for 0 and more degrees, because they keep lots of water in rows (less drainage channels), so you may start sliding on the road, during the breaking. It was measured, that breaking in rain may result in ~10m of difference when it comes to distance in favour of summer tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.