Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just received tune #4 . Still at 20% throttle to make sure that the throttle tables do not affect other changes he has made. Gonna try it tonight and turn in datalogs.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Just drove tune #4 . More top end power. Pulls really hard to 6800rpm redline.

I sent two logs. One with a warm start and idle and a long log with a full cold start and some driving with WOT pulls sprinkled in. We are discussing helping smooth out the cold start and idle.

On another front, I have been a long-time customer of Corksport and I have been talking to them about an exhaust for the CX-3. They are currently working on an axle back, but I encouraged them to offer the full catback option like on the 3. I explained the gains I am seeing with a tune and know that opening up the exhaust over the lousy 2.125 inch exhaust and doing away with the second cat would work wonders just like the 3. They appreciated my insight and are passing it on to their engineers and fabricators. If they offer the option, you could do the full catback, or just axleback. If they do it like the Mazdaspeed, you could add the midsection later on if you only get the axleback first.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
You could always go to an exhaust shop and have one specially made.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You could always go to an exhaust shop and have one specially made.
I would just buy the mandrel bends, straight pipe, muffler, etc. and do it myself. A nice 2.5" or 2.25" system. I have the equipment and it is usually what I do. If I have time... My life is busy nowadays and a plug and play system would be nice. Much more costly, yes, but nice to not have to mess with.

I guess I am getting old...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I got tune number 5 yesterday. I will report back when I get a chance to try it out. The weather is not supposed to be good tomorrow to do any logs and WOT runs, so probably Tuesday or Wednesday.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Turned in datalogs for tune #5 . Passing power pretty much on par with a stock 2.5 Mazda 3.

Most people usually say that it takes about 7 tunes to finalize, so I am very close.

No complaints here. I will report back when I get tune #6 .

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Okay, so I just heard back from Matt at Orange Virus and tune #5 is my final tune. He said that the datalogs look really good and the tune seems to be optimal for my CX-3.

Soooo, thoughts/review:

1. Power: My fiancée has a new 2018 Mazda 3 Touring Sedan with the 2.5, so I will be using it for comparison/reference. The OV tuned CX-3 is, at least for 90% of driving situations, as powerful, and in some situations, more powerful (torquey), than the 2018 2.5 3. I say 90% because stoplight to stoplight, it would be a driver's race, but I do believe that in an actual 1/4 mile drag race, the 2.5 3 would pull ahead. The 2.5 just breathes better up top. Now, in most situations though, the OV tuned 2.0 feels just as good and actually better on quick transitions and pulls up hills, etc. It seems to have a broader torque curve which suits the CX-3. My throttle upgrade ended up being set at 20% which is perfect for me, but maybe not you. We did not try higher, because it was not playing nice for a couple of tunes with extreme cold starts after sitting for a while. It wasn't anything horrible, just some bumps (two to be precise) right at initial start that you could feel, but otherwise did not do a thing. We did not want cold start to get wonky, so we left it at that. It seems the CX-3 programming is a little different than the 3. 20% is nothing to sneeze at though, since that is level 2 on his 3 level throttle upgrade scale.

2. How much power? MazdaEdit has a dyno function just like VirtualDyno (I have both programs). In order to get a proper reading I will have to use the transmission in manual in 4th gear (or 3rd) from about 2500/3000rpm and run to redline (and try to push the log button quickly, lol). The biggest issue is that there is no template for the CX-3 in either database, so I will have to compile and enter the car info manually. I will do this as soon as I can, but it might be a week or so as life is busy right now.

3. Ease of use: If you can work a simple Windows program and click some boxes, you can do this.

4. Experience with Orange Virus: Excellent. I know he is super busy, but after we started the process, I got a tune about 3-4 days after each datalog session sent to him. He answered questions and was never hard to deal with. He is short and sweet in his communications, so don't expect long conversations. If you get an email and you want a question answered soon, email him right back and he will converse with you right there. If you wait a few hours, he is probably busy and will get back to you in a day or so.

5. Cost: With the tune upgrade added, the cost for the program, the adapter for the OBD port, and the tunes/support was a little over $600 with shipping. You also have support as long as you own the car and even updates for simple mods or if the dealer wipes your tune. This cost is on par with many tuning alternatives for other cars and is actually more in line with a device+off the shelf tunes. This is a remote custom tune. They usually cost more than this, so it is a deal. I will say this... Get the throttle upgrade after the fact if you are willing to pay $60 later vs. $50 when tacked on to the standard tune. The reason I say this is that many of you might be just fine with the throttle response that just the tune gives. It is on par with my fiancée's 2.5 3. I was still on stock throttle at around tunes #2- #3 and it felt just as good as her 3. So it might be enough for most of you. I am glad with where mine ended up at 20%, but I would not have been disappointed if it hadn't been an option at all. The tune itself is just that good.

6. Anything I wish OV had done differently? I wish I could have had a higher idle at about 800rpm as I think this would help with the 2.0 Skyactiv's naturally bumpy idle (though the idle now is smoother than stock). I mentioned this, but did not get exactly that. It got bumped a little from what I can tell, but not much (I forgot to read the stock idle with MazdaEdit before loading the first tune). I do think there is a reason for this though. The Skyactiv has very specific warm-up and idle procedures to light off the cats with the long header and to keep the intake valves clean, etc. I think that messing with the idle and start-up too much would screw all of this up, so it is best left alone. I am theorizing, but I think that is why Matt does not mess with it much.

7. Do I recommend it? YES! If you think that around 20whp and 20whtq is not that great for $600, then you know nothing about engines. I am a long-time hot-rodder and I remember being excited when a new set of $1000-1500 aluminum heads would net 50-75 horsepower on a small block V8 engine at the flywheel. This is 20 horsepower at the WHEELS. For just a tune, on a tiny 4cyl, and without having to turn a wrench. Yes, it is worth it if you have the money. But it isn't just the power. The car feels so much better in every situation. It should come like this from the factory. You touch the gas and it responds.

8. Fuel mileage: For the tree-huggers and frugal amongst you, the fuel mileage is just as good or better than stock. I am seeing better than stock and that is even with some WOT runs sprinkled in for datalogging. No drawbacks as far as fuel mileage goes.

I hope my tuning journey helps you...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Point of reference: This whole process just took exactly 1 month to complete from my baseline tune... Not bad for a remote custom tune.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Thanks for all the info... Sounds like a worthwhile deal. I might do this as well
I think it is worth it. It compares well to other tuning methods and this is pretty much it for Skyactiv's. Now that he has tuned the CX-3, he might finally offer the hand-held tuner which is under $500. It has OTS tunes, but they offer similar gains according to the Mazda 3 guys and his site. You have to have the Mitsu ECU though. If he does offer that for the CX-3, he shows you how to identify your ECU on the site (which is down today for maintenance). So you might ask him about the handheld.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How is the upgrade? Any issues or changes in the last few months? Looking at doing this, and just wondered how things are going.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Great so far. No issues. Since my tune was done in cold weather, and OV allows you to get updates of newer tunes they have worked on, I am going to contact them and send some new datalogs to see if any of his newer tuning experience can be use to further tweak mine.

How is the upgrade? Any issues or changes in the last few months? Looking at doing this, and just wondered how things are going.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Torquerules,

Are you driving a MT CX3? What year?

I'm interested in getting an OV Tune, $600 for +20 WHP sounds amazing, was that $600 CAD all-in or did you need to buy anything additional?

Also, would a Tune affect Mazda's factory warranty?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts