Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
There's a station in Joliet near Autobahn Country Club and Route 66 Raceway that sells 100 octane race gas...

Wonder if you can have two tunes, a 91 and 100, and switch between them. I remember in my VW days APR Tuning offered something like this so you could use a combination of buttons to switch between them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
There's a station in Joliet near Autobahn Country Club and Route 66 Raceway that sells 100 octane race gas...

Wonder if you can have two tunes, a 91 and 100, and switch between them. I remember in my VW days APR Tuning offered something like this so you could use a combination of buttons to switch between them.
You can have more than one. I will probably do an E85 tune later. I switched between E85 and 93 on my Mazdaspeed. The Mustang takes race fuel...

Since you use a laptop for this, you just load the map you want to use that way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Did you notice anything on the base tune, or was it more or less stock until you send back data logs?

Edit* I must have missed your post about how it was much smoother, although they stated they hadn't changed much yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yes, only slight changes according to Matt at OV. But enough to notice which makes me think that when the tune is finalized, it will be a major improvement.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I got tune #2 today. It's snowing here, so it will be a couple of days before I report.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Tune #2 feels great. Still more a change in torque than horsepower which is fine as I love torque. I know that he mentioned he might do 20% throttle change to start off. He did not say for sure when he sent me the tune, but regardless the throttle response is much improved. I would like to take it a little further, but not go overboard. I know the Mazda 3 guys tend to like 30% change, but the CX-3 is actually more responsive stock than a Mazda 3 2.0 from my experience. It feels more like a 2.5 Mazda 3 in that regard now.

Gonna do a datalog run this evening so I can get tune #3 started. Most people say it takes about 4-6 tunes to finalize things. Since I may be the first or one of the first CX-3s it may take longer, but then again he has been doing the Skayactiv since they came out so this may not take long.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tune #2 feels great. Still more a change in torque than horsepower which is fine as I love torque. I know that he mentioned he might do 20% throttle change to start off. He did not say for sure when he sent me the tune, but regardless the throttle response is much improved. I would like to take it a little further, but not go overboard. I know the Mazda 3 guys tend to like 30% change, but the CX-3 is actually more responsive stock than a Mazda 3 2.0 from my experience. It feels more like a 2.5 Mazda 3 in that regard now.

Gonna do a datalog run this evening so I can get tune #3 started. Most people say it takes about 4-6 tunes to finalize things. Since I may be the first or one of the first CX-3s it may take longer, but then again he has been doing the Skayactiv since they came out so this may not take long.
Good to hear! Is he making any changes to the transmission?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Good to hear! Is he making any changes to the transmission?
I am not sure he can make transmission changes through the ECU only. I believe that Mazda uses a separate TCM (transmission control module) on the Skyactiv drivetrain. Don't quote me, but that is what I have read somewhere.

I will ask him. The transmission control on these CX-3s is pretty good already, and of course changes to the engine dynamics will prompt the transmission to adapt shifting strategies.

To be honest it feels good all around.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am not sure he can make transmission changes through the ECU only. I believe that Mazda uses a separate TCM (transmission control module) on the Skyactiv drivetrain. Don't quote me, but that is what I have read somewhere.

I will ask him. The transmission control on these CX-3s is pretty good already, and of course changes to the engine dynamics will prompt the transmission to adapt shifting strategies.

To be honest it feels good all around.
Interesting... All around, the transmission IS very good already, one of the best in the cars that I have owned. But quicker shifts never hurt anybody, right?! :nerd: :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually, “quicker shifts” can increase shock loading to the transmission so yes, it may hurt. In the case of the CX-3 transmission I don’t know, but anything can be taken too far.

I’m really glad the OP is having a good experience with OV, the MazdaSpeed forums seem to hate him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually, “quicker shifts” can increase shock loading to the transmission so yes, it may hurt. In the case of the CX-3 transmission I don’t know, but anything can be taken too far.

I’m really glad the OP is having a good experience with OV, the MazdaSpeed forums seem to hate him.

I meant not hurting anyone as a figure of speech... Of course these aftermarket tunes can (most likely will) put more stress on the engine and transmission, and hurt reliability and longevity.

I had an interesting experience with a 2012 Ram truck with the 5.7 hemi, heavily modified and a badass custom tune (I won't name the tuner). This was a balls-to-the-wall, engine and trans tune, where even the electronic nannies were disabled including abs, and consequently the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree! :laugh:

Long story short, the stock transmission could not handle the tune AT ALL... It was so bad that a guy could take his truck out and have a little fun for a day, and before the end of the day the trans was toast.

I sold my truck and shortly thereafter the trans went out while driven by it's new owner (12k mile on the truck). He took it to the dealer to test his luck and shockingly FCA approve a new transmission, despite all the visible performance mods and knowledge of numerous pcm flashes, indicative of tune modifications...

Edit: op apologies for the thread jack...

·
Registered
33 Posts

Typically with a transmission "tune" the main thing done is speeding up or removing the delay between receiving the input (you clicking the paddle) and the transmission starting the shift. Sometimes you have the ability to boost line pressure etc, which can further speed it up. You have to get pretty aggressive with tuning/shift kit before you get into shock loading issues. Often times as power increases the slower "more slipping" stock shifts are exaggerated by the increase in power and actually harder on a stock trans. In this scenario speeding up shifting can help the longevity of the trans. All of that said the CX-3 is pretty quick to respond, so there may not be much room their to improve.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
The Mazdaspeed community is pretty much in the tank with tuners who use the Cobb Accessport. I have used both Cobb/Stratified and Hypertech with my Mazdaspeed with good results (Hypertech is best mostly stock, the Accessport and a custom tune from someone like Stratified with full on mods). Anything new they hate. They absolutely rip people who use Hypertech even though they were first to market with a decent tuner. I do not know why they hate OV. I have really never seen anything on them, but of course I kind of stay away from pissing matches.

I do know that OV kind of has the market cornered on Skyactiv tuning. My experience has been very good so far.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Very interested in seeing what kind of gains you get. Thinking about putting it on a dyno once you get through?

I might run the datalogs through Virtual Dyno when all is said and done. See what that comes up with. It is usually pretty accurate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Actually the best, and most reliable way, to get quicker and more solid shifting with an automatic is to modify/change the valvebody and, in the case of an electronically controlled transmission, just use tuning for shift points (rpm), etc. Trying to make the transmission shift more solid and quickly just using electronics requires the computer to up the line pressure significantly in a way that is not conducive to reliability. On my old Lightning the trick way was to replace the valvebody and then tune the shift points electronically.

It is actually the same with a shift kit verses a valvebody in an old non-electronic transmission. The shift kit is okay as long as it does not go overboard, but it is not the "right" way to change the characteristics of your transmission. The manual valvebody in my Mustang is the bomb, but not for everyone.

So electronic transmission tuning is fine as long as it does not try to emulate what a valvebody replacement can do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So I got tune #3 today. Can't wait to try it. I am away from my laptop and Tactrix right now, so I may not be able to load it until tomorrow evening or Thursday. I am excited because I have felt a huge improvement in response, etc. and come to find out he hadn't even messed with the throttle tables yet! This new tune is 20% on the throttle table in both regular and sport modes. It may actually be plenty for the CX-3. I know a lot of Mazda 3 guys swear by 25% and even 30%, but I have driven the CX-3 and both 2.0 and 2.5 3's and the CX-3 already has better throttle response. Mazda programmed it that way to make it more fun to drive. Now the 2.5 has torque that helps make its overall responsiveness better stock, but as far as tip in response, there is less lag with the CX-3.

I will report back once I load the tune and have some miles with it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So I just ran the third tune and did some data logs and sent those in. I have seen a big improvement already even on tune 3. 20% throttle makes it actually more responsive than my fiance's 2018 2.5 Mazda 3 sedan. Power-wise it is on par with the 2.5 in most driving situations. Since I drove them back to back I can really do a good comparison. Another nice thing is that they are both similar in weight so in that regard a power comparison works pretty well too. Of course the Mazda3 is front-wheel drive and the CX-3 is all wheel drive but it's as close as I can get. Truly, the only area where the 2.5 is superior is from 3/4 to Full Throttle. In that regard the big lungs of the 2.5 are just superior, but of course I am just on my third tune so who knows what might happen in the future.

I told the tuner to bump the throttle to the next level because I think it actually could use even more. I'm surprised to hear myself saying that because it felt so good already. I'm anxious to see what tune number four is like.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Any dyno numbers?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Not yet. I will have to datalog a single WOT run and see if Virtual Dyno will take the MazdaEdit CSV file as well as it does a Cobb, etc. Busy right now finalizing the tune.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts