Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the tuning kit and the add-on throttle upgrade to the tune (check out the details on their site). This is an extensive process, but I have all of the needed information to Orange Virus and I am waiting on my base tune. I will then datalog and we will go back and forth through a few tunes until it is just right.

I will keep you guys up to date as I go through the process.

The next update will come after I have installed the base tune and tried it out.

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/mazda-sky/products/mazda-skyactiv-tuning-kit?variant=6032770629659

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice!! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it. If you ever want to go further, their ND 2.0 miata cams will work in a CX-3, and they could tune for a header as well if we ever got one made.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do realize that the 2.0 comes with a tubular tri-Y header from the factory.

It does, but there have been significant gains showing with an aftermarket design. Of course a lot of that is probably from the removal of the catalytic converter or replacement with an aftermarket high flow cat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice!! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it. If you ever want to go further, their ND 2.0 miata cams will work in a CX-3, and they could tune for a header as well if we ever got one made.

Yea, many of the Miata parts are tempting, but besides the cams, most will not adapt. The thing I would like to see is Edelbrock market their Miata (ND) supercharger for front wheel drive/all wheel drive Skyactiv applications. The CX-3 would be amazing with the added horsepower and torque from a mild blower kit. Plus, the install is significantly easier than a turbo, and a supercharger would be well suited to the CX-3 CUV application.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You do realize that the 2.0 comes with a tubular tri-Y header from the factory.

Indeed it does, and that doesn't mean it's the most efficient from a HP perspective, in fact based on what the MX-5 is seeing with gains, it's far from it.

CX-3 stock HP: 146hp (crank)
ND MX-5 Stock HP: 158hp (crank)

ON the ND miata, they are getting 180whp (wheel horsepower) with just a header and tune. Baseline dyno on the same dyno was 139whp. So a gain of 40whp, and putting the car at well over 200hp at the crank. To put it in perspective, the good-win header equipped car is making the same horsepower at 4200rpm as a stock car is at 6500rpm. That's BIG.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=610631

Now odds are given the engine bay and transverse mount of the CX-3 engine, as efficient of a header design as the Good-Win header might be impossible, but I would still bet there are plenty of gains to be had with an aftermarket header and tune.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea, many of the Miata parts are tempting, but besides the cams, most will not adapt. The thing I would like to see is Edelbrock market their Miata (ND) supercharger for front wheel drive/all wheel drive Skyactiv applications. The CX-3 would be amazing with the added horsepower and torque from a mild blower kit. Plus, the install is significantly easier than a turbo, and a supercharger would be will suited to the CX-3 CUV application.
I'd love to see this too, although I'm guessing if the CX-3 gets one FI application it'll be a turbo as it's easier to plumb at put the turbo etc where you can fit it in the engine bay. A bit tougher with a belt driven blower, fewer options. SC would be my vote as well though. Honestly if the CX-3 could get to 180AWHP with a custom header (currently not made) + cams + tune, that'd be a pretty dang fun car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to see this too, although I'm guessing if the CX-3 gets one FI application it'll be a turbo as it's easier to plumb at put the turbo etc where you can fit it in the engine bay. A bit tougher with a belt driven blower, fewer options. SC would be my vote as well though. Honestly if the CX-3 could get to 180AWHP with a custom header (currently not made) + cams + tune, that'd be a pretty dang fun car.
Yea, cams and a header would be nice as that would be MUCH cheaper than the $5000 or so dollars a supercharger from Edelbrock would cost, or a decent turbo kit if there was one.

I have noticed that the cams are no longer listed on Orange Virus' website. If I remember correctly they had them for the ND Miata as well as the 2.5 Skyactiv.

Other vendors might have some or be developing them.

I am also going to look into upgrading the exhaust. Racing Beat is finally updating their axle-back to work with the AWD version of the CX-3. Of course that is mainly for sound as I doubt you would gain 2hp there, but I am going to also eventually replace the second cat with a straight pipe; that should uncork things a little. Actually a better designed header and a full 2.5" exhaust would be perfect. 3" would be overkill on the 2.0 unless you added a turbo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still waiting on my baseline tune. It takes a few days.

I am betting that the CX-3 has a lot on the table that a tune will recover compared to the Mazda 3 and MX-5. I know that there are 120hp versions of the 2.0 out there (the EU and other areas of the world) that is just a detuned version of the engine we have. Actually, OV can tune it to be the same as the 165hp version in other areas of the world with very little effort, not to mention what a full tune will get.

I know that most U.S. customers with 2.0 3's report that after just a tune the car feels comparable to a 2.5 or a little better due to the broadness of the power increase as well as smoothness and response. That makes me happy to hear as my fiancée just got a 2018 2.5 Touring 3 and I have to say that in that car the 2.5 is impressive. I was really surprised by it considering it is an NA 4cyl tuned more for economy than performance. I am currently trying to talk her into letting me tune it and add some bolt-ons...>:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
One issue comparing the Mazda3 engine tuning with a CX-3 is the exhaust. The smaller Mazda2 chassis has less room under the hood and Mazda had to use a more restrictive header to keep the cats close to the head. So don’t expect the same results between the two with a similar tune. Note that I’m certainly not saying to eschew a tune, I’m sure it will be worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One issue comparing the Mazda3 engine tuning with a CX-3 is the exhaust. The smaller Mazda2 chassis has less room under the hood and Mazda had to use a more restrictive header to keep the cats close to the head. So don’t expect the same results between the two with a similar tune. Note that I’m certainly not saying to eschew a tune, I’m sure it will be worth it.
We already covered that a while back, (as well as the engine being transversely mounted.) ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You are right about the exhaust. It is a restrictive mess under there. I can see that the second cat and even the resonator will be easy to eliminate. The header is something I believe we will be stuck with. The CX-3 performance market will be so small that I very seriously doubt anyone will take the time to design a specific header or even a full header back exhaust. If the 3 shared the same header, then we would be able to use that, but without taking the factory header out of both models and comparing, we won't know for sure other than what we read on the internet.

The CX-3 probably does have a more restrictive header though, I just never heard that from any official channels to be sure, but it makes sense it would be different due to the chassis. I am not going to worry about it enough to take the time to compare the two. I did hear when the CX-3 was first announced that it would be tuned for a broader torque curve than the 3 so that would affect horsepower numbers. I also think I remember a blurb about the intake being slightly different (intake manifold), but just looking at it, they look the same. Of course the air-box and associated tubing is different.

The tune will help and I think it will be enough to make the little CX-3 that much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read several restrictive exhaust references, I found this one easily. Of course no one can vouch for anything written by a “journalist.”

First Drive: 2016 Mazda CX-3 | Driving

Yea, I have been under mine to compare it to my fiancée's old 2014 2.0 3 and her new 2018 2.5 3. Much more restrictive exhaust on the CX-3. Kinked all to hell.

Like I said, absent a full custom exhaust or more aftermarket support, a muffler back exhaust and replacing the second cat with a straight pipe might be the best bet there.

I do remember hearing something about the tune and intake a couple of years ago, but like I said it was only a passing reference and it really isn't important enough for me to look up. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got my base tune. I will install it tomorrow. I am not sure how much driving I will do this week, but I will attempt to get the first datalogs done by Friday. It is snowing here, so I am not too keen on WOT pulls at the moment. Plus I would like to see temps go up a little.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's transversely mounted in the 3 too...
Obviously... ;)

But yeah, I doubt anyone will make a header unless someone just pays to have the first one made, then said shop would have a jig to make more. Even as tight as the CX-3 engine compartment is, given that they fit the whole skyactiv "loop" manifold in into said space, I think a decent flowing header could be fabbed up, it's not going to have as long of primaries as say the MX-5 long tube setups obviously, but it'd still improve flow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wasn't able to upload the tune yesterday. Apparently the tune file I was given was not compatible with the version of MazdaEdit I downloaded from the OV website. Matt, from OV, said he was going to get me the proper version. I'll update once it all gets figured out.:(

1 - 20 of 75 Posts