Mazda Unveils the CX3 in Los Angeles
2014 LA Auto Show Press Preview Event | Mazda USAMazda held a little press preview before the 2014 LA Auto Show gets off to its official start. The press preview saw the official North American reveal of the MX5, as well as an appearance by Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai (making this his first appearance at a North American auto show). The most exciting part of the preview was the reveal of the CX3 crossover.
The press event started off with discussing the new Kodo design language which Mazda is using across its entire lineup. Elements of the design language were explained through two sculptures sitting at either side of the stage. Kodo translates to "soul of motion," and from the way that Mazda execs speak of this new design language it is clear that they are honestly proud of the work that they have done.
The press event then went on to show off and explain the Mazda MX5 Miata. The new Miata also uses the Kodo design language, and as I'm sure you have seen already, it works great for the Miata.
The big reveal came when the Mazda CX3 rolled onto the stage. Kevin Rice, director of design for Mazda Europe, explained the design of the CX3. Being a brand new model, Mazda as able to start with a relative blank slate. The CX3 was made to be agile and nimble; capable of being an urban commuter, or taking you on a weekend adventure. Volume is placed at the back of the vehicle to give the idea of energy about to spring forward. There is also a "twist transition" placed in the center of the vehicle that unites the front and rear of the vehicle. All in all the presentation shows that Mazda puts a lot of emphasis on every detail of the CX3.
The Mazda CX3 reveal is nearer to the end of the video, but feel free to watch the whole thing to hear everything that Mazda has to show.
Mazda CX-3 Press Release
Following the Mazda CX-3 world debut, the press release below went live which includes a lot of key information on Mazda's all-new compact crossover.
____________________The All-new 2016 Mazda CX-3 Compact Crossover SUV
Nov 18, 2014
Mazda debuts the 2016 Mazda CX-3 at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show. The new compact crossover SUV is the fifth model in Mazda’s line-up of new-generation vehicles that feature the full range of SKYACTIV Technology and KODO—Soul of Motion design. The CX-3 offers all the essentials people look for in a vehicle; a design of overwhelming quality and style, packaging developed solely with the customer’s ease-of-use in mind, and the responsive driving feel that Mazda strives for in every model.
In pursuing a design of beauty and sophistication, the essence of KODO—the expression of life within a vehicle—has been evolved to produce a sharper form with an enhanced sense of speed. In the interior, meticulous attention to detail regarding the materials used has created a cabin environment of impressive sophistication and quality. In terms of driving performance, the CX-3 adopts the full suite of SKYACTIV technologies, carefully crafted to match human sensibilities. This realizes driving pleasure with faithful response as well as excellent environmental and safety performance.
read the full press release...
SKYACTIV-G 2.0L Engine
After much speculation leading up to the days of the world debut of what exact engine options would be available, Mazda confirms the North American market CX-3 will use the same SKYACTIV-G 2.0 gasoline engine currently in the all-new Mazda 3:
- For North America, the CX-3 will use the SKYACTIV-G 2.0 gasoline engine which delivers linear, powerful driving performance and excellent real-world fuel economy.
- The CX-3 features an automatic transmission as standard equipment on all trim levels. The SKYACTIV-DRIVE six-speed automatic transmission achieves excellent fuel economy, a direct feel similar to that of a manual transmission, and smooth and powerful acceleration.
- The new-generation AWD system employing an active torque control coupling first used on the Mazda CX-5 is available to achieve excellent drivability and vehicle stability. It employs a world’s first* front wheel slip warning detection system, which employs sensor signals to accurately monitor the driver’s intentions and constantly changing driving conditions. In addition, the CX-3 uses a newly developed power take-off and rear differential that is compact and light in weight.
More on Mazda's SKUACTIV-G 2.0L engine here...
CX-3 Exterior Picture Gallery & Description of Features
If you're like many of us and can't get enough of what the all-new CX-3 looks like, you'll want to visit this link to see official high quality photos of the CX-3, for now only in 2 colors. Also included, descriptions of specific features that give you a much clearer idea of what Mazda's design team intended to do and B-Roll Footage below!
All new 2016 Mazda CX-3 B-Roll Footage
- The front view of the CX-3 is designed to present a bold look that suits the model’s stylish proportions. The front grille stacks seven fins with silver-painted front edges to create an expression of concentrated energy that flows horizontally. The signature wing is stout and three-dimensional, as if machined from solid metal. It forms the starting point for a powerful sense of speed that flows across the entire body.
- The headlamp layout positions the turn signals outside the main headlamp unit to create a narrow, sharp design suggesting eyes gazing forward. The tips of the signature wing extend into the headlamps with an integrated LED illumination line. This connects seamlessly with the lighting signature that surrounds the low beams, accentuating the model’s taut expression.
- With the peak of the front fenders pushed rearward to lie beneath the base of the A-pillars, the side view of CX-3 conveys a sense of extended body size, far greater than the vehicle’s actual dimensions. Careful attention was devoted to creating the rich expression and subtle changes in each of the body surfaces for the following three sections. The front half of the body features a long nose with a flowing shape; the cabin section presents a sleek look achieved by blacking out the D-pillars; and the solid mass at the rear of the body conveys a look of strength and power.
CX-3's Amazing Interior & Key Points
The CX-3's interior does a great job at complementing how amazing it's exterior is, take notice of the great attention to detail, use of colors, and the overall layout in the photo gallery here.
- The interior gives a high-quality and sophisticated feel coordinated with the exterior design. Keen attention was paid to every detail, including the cohesiveness of the spatial designs and the quality of materials used.
- The surrounding character line and relatively high beltline, along with the deeply sculpted three-dimensional form of the door trim, create a comforting sense of snugness and openness for the front seat space.
- All information displays and control systems are positioned in accordance with a driver-oriented design based on Mazda’s Heads-up Cockpit concept.
- The soft material that covers the meter hood features a stitch-like finish on its front edge, producing an atmosphere of maturity.
- Each individual part has been refined to provide the interior with a polished, high-quality feel. Examples includes the dark red accent color used on the door trim armrests and floor console kneepads, and the sharp form of the inner door handle bezels which look as if they were sculpted from solid metal.
- Fine piping carefully added where the different coordinated seat materials meet, such as the Parchment leather and off-black Lux Suede offering, produces a sophisticated environment.