Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woke up to this today. I do not live in high crime area but, according to the cop, this is getting to be more common. They target new cars and sell the tires/rims to people online looking for spares which totally makes sense since this is such a new model.

Locking lug nuts won't stop thieves but they will slow them down and, at least in my area, they aren't always sold with cars. I was a bit surprised they weren't sold with mine - when I lived on the East Coast every car I bought had them. Guess I should have spoken up.

If you don't have them maybe think about getting them next time you get your oil changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

This is painful to see. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Locking lugs are good advice. Unfortunate that they are needed but it seems they are. I'd be curious to see where they show up online for sale.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I don’t want to catch anybody trying to do that to my car. I would end up in prison.

I presume it is an insurance job?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. There was a GT-R in my area that had his wheels jacked the exact same way (the thieves left his car resting on cement blocks which really fucked up side skirts.

My car came pre-installed with wheel locks though I did have to pay an additional $CAD 55 for them at delivery which I was a little vexed. They couldn't give it to me for free?! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t want to catch anybody trying to do that to my car. I would end up in prison.

I presume it is an insurance job?
Yes, insurance will cover all of it. That includes the tow which was a little spendy since getting a car with no wheels on a tow truck quite a chore!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So sorry to see this! It's awful how some people have no respect for other people's property.
My car comes with locks, but as mentioned above, I have to pay for them too (why not just include them already?)
Hope this is all resolved for you very soon.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So sorry to see this! It's awful how some people have no respect for other people's property.
My car comes with locks, but as mentioned above, I have to pay for them too (why not just include them already?)
Hope this is all resolved for you very soon.
Ours came with the locks as well. Can't imagine what 4, 18 inch wheels and tires must cost :eek:

I believe we paid $69.00 USD for ours but glad now...

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
We don’t pay in the UK. Every car with alloy wheels comes with them fitted. In the case of Mazda, they come in a separate pack along with the stencils for window etching.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just to give a heads up: My daughter did not have her wheels jacked, but she did have all the nuts loosened on two wheels. She drove onto the highway and could hear a strange rattling/clunking sound and took the car to the nearest service station. They discovered the loosened nuts and said that if she had driven much farther, she was in danger of having one or both wheels fly off at highway speed! She is in a senior management position and it could be that someone did not appreciate her management style and took this way of getting back. The police are still investigating...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow Geezer, that could have easily been worse than just getting the wheels stolen. Glad your daughter is okay. Hope they figure out who did it.

A quick update on my situation: The bill for insurance now sits at $3,065. That doesn't include the wheel locks or the tow (I dropped insurance coverage for that and Mazda's Roadside Assistance didn't know what to do with a wheel-less car).

There was some body damage which may up the price. Should get the car back Monday at the latest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So sorry to see that. I saw segment on our local news that said wheel theft was on the rise big time in my area (Atlanta metro). My car came with locking lugs but I have not installed them. I will be this weekend!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow, that sucks... Feel bad for ya on that one. Insurance bills seems kinda high unless that already included the body work. Mazda charges $300 each list price for the wheel rims alone.with tires, mounting and balancing, probably close to $2000 list price for the parts. Was there any damage to the brakes or suspension parts?

I suppose the bright side, if there is one, is you get a new set of tires at a nice discount unless you have a pretty high deductible.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Wow Geezer, that could have easily been worse than just getting the wheels stolen. Glad your daughter is okay. Hope they figure out who did it.

A quick update on my situation: The bill for insurance now sits at $3,065. That doesn't include the wheel locks or the tow (I dropped insurance coverage for that and Mazda's Roadside Assistance didn't know what to do with a wheel-less car).

There was some body damage which may up the price. Should get the car back Monday at the latest.
Were these the 16 or 18 inch wheels on yours?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Anyone have experience with locking lug nuts from the auto parts store vs. Mazda OEM parts? My concern is readily available master key sets that would significantly reduce the effectiveness of having locks in the first place. Do the Mazda parts use a pattern not commonly found in typical master key sets auto parts stores sell?

Advance Auto Parts has a set of 4 chrome locking lugs with key for $29.29. O'Reilly Auto Parts has the exact same set for $23.99.

In case anyone is wondering they are M12-1.5 thread, so it's a pretty standard size.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Were these the 16 or 18 inch wheels on yours?
He's got GT trim, so I'd wager they were the stock 18" wheels.

Having said that, now I'm positive I've jinxed it and he'll come back and say they were aftermarket wheels. LOL

·
Registered
226 Posts
We don’t pay in the UK. Every car with alloy wheels comes with them fitted. In the case of Mazda, they come in a separate pack along with the stencils for window etching.
I had initially thought they were an accessory as they are on the Accessories web page - I was all geared up to negotiate for them as a freebe :) The locking wheel nuts and security etching of the windows must be part of the Thatcham 1 rating needed in UK for keeping down the insurance premium.

Shame the 4 replaced normal wheel nuts and special key aren't supplied in a nice kind of box, rather than the plastic bag pack with ripped opening lol

·
Registered
327 Posts
I haven't looked that closely in the CX-3, but my old WRX had a spot in the tray over the spare tire to store the key. I don't recall if there was a spot for the lug nuts or if I even had the lug nuts at all now that I think about it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts