Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Excellent! I guess I need to actually read the owners manual before I waste folks time here...LOL.

If you have a moment, add your location to your profile.
We have found numerous differences based on location.

I've read my owner's manual and waste lots of time here ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
SO spent the week with my new Touring AWD. Pulling out from the Dealer with 9 miles on the ODO, MPG average was at 20. After 200 miles of mixed city driving, this AM the average had increaseed to 26.1. Is there a way to reset the average MPG so it starts recalcuating from a new baseline? I see I don't have a trip ODO function (unless its hidden in the settings software that I haven't explored as of yet). Also, we run an ethanol blend here (up to 10% ethanol) so that in and of itself will lower MPG. I can get non-ethanol blend at about $.60 a gal more. I might try a tank or two of that to see if I get the 8-10% better gas mileage than the ethanol blend. So far, much better than commuting in my 10 MPG Dodge truck!!

I have always used the highest premium in my cars and particular this one (2016 sTouring CX3) and it loves it! Great mileage. Yeah it isnt as cost effective as such but better performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Remember, CAFE fuel economy numbers are calculated using DOT standardized 100 octane test fuel..to ensure 100% repeatablility across all makes, models, and manufacturers. When you use 'real world' 87 octane 10% ethanol blend, you mileage WILL BE much less (as many have experienced). Best mileage you will get is by using non-ethanol 100% gas. Try that (if you can find it) and report back.
I finally tried 87 octane with no ethanol, very minor difference. I get close to 1 mpg higher than with 10% ethanol. E10 is around $2.19/gal and E0 is around $2.60/gal. At that price difference vs. increase of mileage, it is not worth it to use E0 for me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have always used the highest premium in my cars and particular this one (2016 sTouring CX3) and it loves it! Great mileage. Yeah it isnt as cost effective as such but better performance.
I highly doubt you're getting any better performance or fuel economy by using premium fuel. It must be a placebo effect. The car is simply not designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I finally tried 87 octane with no ethanol, very minor difference. I get close to 1 mpg higher than with 10% ethanol. E10 is around $2.19/gal and E0 is around $2.60/gal. At that price difference vs. increase of mileage, it is not worth it to use E0 for me.
I probably also get 1 or 2 hp extra also if any improvement at all. It is barely even noticeable and not worth while to switch away from E10.

·
Registered
451 Posts
The use of Ethanol is an issue only if the car is going to be left in a garage with gas in the tank for an extended period of time. Gasoline/ethanol blends will decrease in octane levels the longer it is stored. I once had a lawn mower that sat all winter with a full tank of gas and adamantly refused to start until I dumped the gas and put fresh fuel in the tank. Otherwise anything other than regular gas is money down the drain. I now make sure that if I am going to store a piece of equipment with gas in the tank for a while, I will fill up with premium gas and add a few ounces of stabilizer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Im getting 8.9 km per litre on my Mazda s computer , what do you think please ? Im actually driving really carfully because my mazda have only 200 kms on the clock but always with my ac on . What do you think on consumption ?
On

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally Posted by blundar View Post

I probably also get 1 or 2 hp extra also if any improvement at all. It is barely even noticeable and not worth while to switch away from E10.
I just recently also tried out E15. It is still rated as safe to use and does not require flex fuel capability. E15 is slightly better at 88 octane and even cheaper still than E10.

With E15 I get the best of all combinations (more performance approximately 1 or 2 hp, better fuel economy approx 2 mpg, at the best price at around $2.00/gal)!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Im getting 8.9 km per litre on my Mazda s computer , what do you think please ? Im actually driving really carfully because my mazda have only 200 kms on the clock but always with my ac on . What do you think on consumption ?
On
That is a bit low but not unreasonable for city driving. Considering that you have such a low number of km's on the clock, your motor will loosen up and you will see much improved economy by 10,000 km's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes I think so aswell , tomorrow Im going to top up the fuel and tell you exactly the mileage and the litres . Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today I went to the petrol station , 180 kms = 16 litres , what do you think ? Always with the ac on
That is much better at around 26.5 mpg. that is not unreasonable at all. The a/c on this car is very efficient so the mileage numbers will change very little if even noticeable. Use of cruise control and highway driving makes a much bigger difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes it s very good and as you told me the car have only 300km on the clock . So next time it would be slightly better

·
Registered
59 Posts
Filled up yesterday and on a brim to brim test I returned 49mpg, not bad for a gasoline engine, 22000 miles done now, best ever figure on a tankful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On
I started off getting about 9L/100kms (31 MPG IMP) around town when the cars was new but the mileage got progressively better and better. I think it was about 5,000 kms or so before it stopped improving, and I now average 7.8L/100kms (31 MPG IMP).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I highly doubt you're getting any better performance or fuel economy by using premium fuel. It must be a placebo effect. The car is simply not designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel.
Exactly right. There's an investigative journalism program on one of our Canadian networks that did a major report on this very topic a few years ago. It turned out that about 90% of the people they talked to at the pumps who used premium fuel knew that premium wasn't required in their car, but they used it anyway assuming that their car would either run better, get better mileage, get more power or that it was better for the environment. But engineers, mechanics and even the auto manufacturers themselves say that there is absolutely zero benefit to using premium in a car that was designed to run regular. And in fact, they were even able to show that in some cases the use of premium is actually worse for the environment if the car wasn't designed for it.

Reactions: greaseman85

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone use a fuel injector cleaner? Recommendations or brands? And how often do you use them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone use a fuel injector cleaner? Recommendations or brands? And how often do you use them?
I simply use E-15 fuel (highest ethanol mix). E-15 is 88 octane and has a bit more than normal alcohol (ethanol) to keep everything clean. Most fuel injector cleaner is made with ethanol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use in mine once a year, at most twice a year, but in both instances, I use 1 - 2 of fuel for a single trip ( 680km - 1200km).
Rislone Petrol Fuel System Treatment.
Both a cleaner and octane booster. Also works best when engine is warm, so hence I only use it on long trips. So as not to let it stand in the tank etc. Not that it will cause damage.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts