Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

Fog Lights

17K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Kevincredible 
#1 ·
So I know fog lights can be added...the question is in the Touring trim are they already wired behind the silver cover things?? I have access to a very good deal on factory set and wonder if the install would be as simple as plugging them in and adding the different light control stalk/Arm on the steering column?

#2 ·
No idea but its not a huge job to take the bumper off and look.

#8 ·
If you are asking whether there is an indicator light in the instrument cluster when the fogs are turned on, the answer is no. Kind of odd, although I recall a Subaru Forrester we owned about 15 years ago had the same arrangement. As to the effectiveness of the CX-3 fog lamps, IMO there are about as effective as any others on cars I've had. No better or worse then those on my Honda CR-V, Pilot, Acura MDX, or Toyota RAV4.

#5 · (Edited)
It may to true that if you are looking directly straight ahead up the road on a relatively clear night and switch on your fog lights not much of anything will be accomplished. But if you are driving slowly through a thick fog trying to pick your way along, the fog lights make a huge difference IMHO. They should light up the periphery corners of your visual field lower down enough to help you through anything other than a complete whiteout. I know, because up here in the Great White North we get sudden weather bombs that hit unexpectedly and I have had to drive through more of these than I care to remember. Decent Fogs are a must! In my experience, the fogs on the CX3 GT version are among the best that I have actually used so far.

#6 ·
A week ago i was driving in sleet/snow storm. Temperature was 0...+2 °C.
I had to stop every 15 kilometers to swipe off 1" thick layer of sleet that completely covered the headlights and the recesses where the fog lights and indicator lights are located.
Location and size of fog lights could be better. And led lights don't produce enough heat to keep them free of snow in certain temperatures/conditions.

I have not faced any conditions that I would have felt that the fog lights would help me see better.

#13 ·
I'm interested in learning more about this myself. Some of the bumper removal diagrams that have been posted on this forum suggest that non-GT models in the US come pre-wired for fog lights behind the bezel.

If it's as easy as slapping the OEM lamps, bezels, relay, and lever switch together without wiring a thing, then sign me up!

#15 ·
Can we clarify? I’m talking about front fog lights.

#16 ·
Yes front fog lights, no indication they are on.
We have indicator light for headlights on but not for fog lights

Reactions: skyking
#17 · (Edited)
#19 ·
These regional variations are unbelievable. The warning light appears in the instrument cluster so you would think it was easier to just configure the body control module to show it rather than ignore it. I suppose without knowing all the legislation for each US state its hard to understand why they omitted it.

#20 ·
2016 in Canada - no radar cruise control or smart brake support ( does have smart city brake support)

these features are available on the 2018

Yet more things that must have some twisted logic behind it

#21 · (Edited)
I was able to take photos of both the driver's and passenger's side of the bumper from the inside while my hood was open. Our suspicions were correct; they are pre-wired! I'm guessing the wires are attached to the lower cover to keep the contacts from corroding and so they don't move around. Now it's just a matter of trying it out. I guess I'll be installing an OEM set this Spring.

I believe you will need to source the following parts for it to work:
- left and right fog lights
- left and right fog light bezels
- the proper steering column lever switch (fog lights and no auto headlights for Touring)
- fog light relay for the fuse box
- screws/fasteners

Any help with finding part numbers and good deals would be appreciated!

Attachments

#22 ·
Here are all the OEM part numbers I could find. Please let me know if something is incorrect or missing, as I will be using this post for future reference when I order the parts. This list applies to fog light installation on a US Touring model, which may or may not apply for other trims.

Fog Lamp Screw: 9986-50-516 (not sure how many to get, 6 total might be safe)
Left Fog Lamp: GHP9-51-690A
Right Fog Lamp: GHP9-51-680A
Headlamp Switch (with Fog Lamps, without Auto Headlamps): DA8G-66-122B
Relay: D09W-67-730
Left Bezel: D10J-50-C21
Right Bezel: D10J-50-C11
Left Bezel Cover: D10J-50-C22
Right Bezel Cover: D10J-50-C12

#23 ·
I'm not sure if the part numbers are the same but we can order fog lights from Mazda directly as an after market kit:
Fog lights (set of 2): DB2W-V4-600
New lamp switch:
with auto lights: DA6D-66-122B
without auto lights: DA6C-66-122B

I won't put in our prize as that is most likelt way off the prize in the US.

#24 ·
I'm not sure if the part numbers are the same but we can or

der fog lights from Mazda directly as an after market kit:
Fog lights (set of 2): DB2W-V4-600
New lamp switch:
with auto lights: DA6D-66-122B
without auto lights: DA6C-66-122B

I won't put in our prize as that is most likelt way off the prize in the US.
Great find! I'm contemplating, however, saving money and going with the TYC direct replacement fog lamps and buying the OEM covers and bezels separately. Some of the TYCs are going for around $220 a pair on eBay.

Also, I don't know if it's already in the fuse box, but just in case, you'll need a 15 amp fuse for the fog light slot (part number 9970-51-315).

#26 ·
Yeah searches for those part numbers keep returning European sites, so the numbers might be specific to European markets.

I just checked the site you posted and couldn't find fog lamps on the CX-3 list. I'll keep looking around. I know some of the newer CX-5s (before the 2017 model) and some Mazda 6s use the same exact fog lamps.

#28 ·
Hey, why not go all-out and attach professional grade rally foglights like those made by Hella?

#29 ·
I'd like to go the OEM route only because it bothers me when there are obvious covers to missing features. I know it's a dumb reason lol. Plus I like the seamless look of the OEM ones and the fact that I would be able to control it with a switch alongside the other headlight switches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.