Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know fog lights can be added...the question is in the Touring trim are they already wired behind the silver cover things?? I have access to a very good deal on factory set and wonder if the install would be as simple as plugging them in and adding the different light control stalk/Arm on the steering column?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
So I know fog lights can be added...the question is in the Touring trim are they already wired behind the silver cover things?? I have access to a very good deal on factory set and wonder if the install would be as simple as plugging them in and adding the different light control stalk/Arm on the steering column?
No idea but its not a huge job to take the bumper off and look.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The oem fog lights are completely useless if you have led headlights. You barely notice if they're on or off. Waste of money.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It may to true that if you are looking directly straight ahead up the road on a relatively clear night and switch on your fog lights not much of anything will be accomplished. But if you are driving slowly through a thick fog trying to pick your way along, the fog lights make a huge difference IMHO. They should light up the periphery corners of your visual field lower down enough to help you through anything other than a complete whiteout. I know, because up here in the Great White North we get sudden weather bombs that hit unexpectedly and I have had to drive through more of these than I care to remember. Decent Fogs are a must! In my experience, the fogs on the CX3 GT version are among the best that I have actually used so far.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A week ago i was driving in sleet/snow storm. Temperature was 0...+2 °C.
I had to stop every 15 kilometers to swipe off 1" thick layer of sleet that completely covered the headlights and the recesses where the fog lights and indicator lights are located.
Location and size of fog lights could be better. And led lights don't produce enough heat to keep them free of snow in certain temperatures/conditions.

I have not faced any conditions that I would have felt that the fog lights would help me see better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Agree with all of the above. However, while fog lights don't necessarily help you see better, they sure help you to BE seen.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is there an indicator that the fog lights are on?
If you are asking whether there is an indicator light in the instrument cluster when the fogs are turned on, the answer is no. Kind of odd, although I recall a Subaru Forrester we owned about 15 years ago had the same arrangement. As to the effectiveness of the CX-3 fog lamps, IMO there are about as effective as any others on cars I've had. No better or worse then those on my Honda CR-V, Pilot, Acura MDX, or Toyota RAV4.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
If you are asking whether there is an indicator light in the instrument cluster when the fogs are turned on, the answer is no. Kind of odd, although I recall a Subaru Forrester we owned about 15 years ago had the same arrangement. As to the effectiveness of the CX-3 fog lamps, IMO there are about as effective as any others on cars I've had. No better or worse then those on my Honda CR-V, Pilot, Acura MDX, or Toyota RAV4.
There most definitely is.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The oem fog lights are completely useless if you have led headlights. You barely notice if they're on or off. Waste of money.
I believe that the Touring model does NOT come with LED headlights. I think that is strictly a Grand Touring option.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There most definitely is.
Okay, now I am confused (a frequent event as I have gotten older). You lost me. There most definitely is . . . what???? All I stated is that there exists no foglight "on" indicator in the dash. And there definitely is NOT, at least here in the USA market for the GT models. Taking a quick look inside the OM, such an indicator is not even listed and does not even appear (unless I missed it) to be a "model" dependent feature, such as . . . .

The low washer fluid level warning light . . . .

On page 7-75 of the USA market OM, it states this light is model dependent. I have never seen this light illuminate even as a check before startup. Probably do not have this one either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm interested in learning more about this myself. Some of the bumper removal diagrams that have been posted on this forum suggest that non-GT models in the US come pre-wired for fog lights behind the bezel.

If it's as easy as slapping the OEM lamps, bezels, relay, and lever switch together without wiring a thing, then sign me up!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Okay, now I am confused (a frequent event as I have gotten older). You lost me. There most definitely is . . . what???? All I stated is that there exists no foglight "on" indicator in the dash. And there definitely is NOT, at least here in the USA market for the GT models. Taking a quick look inside the OM, such an indicator is not even listed and does not even appear (unless I missed it) to be a "model" dependent feature, such as . . . .

The low washer fluid level warning light . . . .

On page 7-75 of the USA market OM, it states this light is model dependent. I have never seen this light illuminate even as a check before startup. Probably do not have this one either.
SkyKing

Agreed no fog light indicator

Anchorman

North American models do not have rear fog light.

so many different specifications. Not even per continent more like per country and then within said country , dealership orders are area specific, so often unless you order a car, the specific combination you are looking for may not be available in your "area"

So in Your area/country, how do you spell

zoom zoom ?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Can we clarify? I’m talking about front fog lights.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Can we clarify? I’m talking about front fog lights.
Yes front fog lights, no indication they are on.
We have indicator light for headlights on but not for fog lights

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
These regional variations are unbelievable. The warning light appears in the instrument cluster so you would think it was easier to just configure the body control module to show it rather than ignore it. I suppose without knowing all the legislation for each US state its hard to understand why they omitted it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
These regional variations are unbelievable. The warning light appears in the instrument cluster so you would think it was easier to just configure the body control module to show it rather than ignore it. I suppose without knowing all the legislation for each US state its hard to understand why they omitted it.
2016 in Canada - no radar cruise control or smart brake support ( does have smart city brake support)

these features are available on the 2018

Yet more things that must have some twisted logic behind it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts