Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I put on the more aggressive A/T tires on the CX-3, my fender flare trim pieces has been popping out every time I hit a bump. This is rather annoying and I am afraid they will completely fall off on the highway one day. The trim pieces are held rather weakly by some clips. Anyone got ideas on how I could secure them better?

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you hit a bump are the tires rising up and catching on the plastic trim? It will be tough to keep them secure when the tires are working to rip them off, especially aggressive ones like that.

Otherwise, if the clips are just bad and the trim pieces are just popping off for no real reason I would think that would be covered under warranty.

Also what size/type are the tires? I've been considering some more aggressive tires as well but I'm currently running the stock tires/18" rims from the GT trim level.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you hit a bump are the tires rising up and catching on the plastic trim? It will be tough to keep them secure when the tires are working to rip them off, especially aggressive ones like that.

Otherwise, if the clips are just bad and the trim pieces are just popping off for no real reason I would think that would be covered under warranty.

Also what size/type are the tires? I've been considering some more aggressive tires as well but I'm currently running the stock tires/18" rims from the GT trim level.
They are 215/70/16s and 0 offset rims with 25mm spacers. So yea, they are super aggressive setup. And they are popping out because the wheels rub when I hit bumps/dips.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd take off the spacers and reduce the wear on the vehicle and potential for debris (fender molding) to strike a fellow motorist.
I need the spacers to run these rims, as they won't clear the brake calipers without. I may just have to go with different tire size, if I couldn't figure anything else out.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Ah I see. I'd just change the set up. I hate dealing with spacers, bumping fenders etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need the spacers to run these rims, as they won't clear the brake calipers without. I may just have to go with different tire size, if I couldn't figure anything else out.
Either a different tire size or perhaps some form of a lift so that the tires don't come in contact with the trim like that. It'd be a shame to lose those tires though, the car looks fantastic as it is.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The trims are quite tight when new but if they didn’t pop off you would destroy them eventually if they contact the tires. I think the point is that they simply don’t fit the car. You wouldn’t be allowed to change the wheel size (rolling radius) in Europe without having the car re tested for brake performance and speedo accuracy. You would also need to cover the exposed part with arch extenders. They will cover your car in mud and dirt in winter. BTW, is there a reason for using bold text? It would normally be used to emphasise a point.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I realized that neither the tires nor rims were "made" for our car. I was thinking outside the box and make the car "my own". I didn't factor in the extra high that I gained from thread depth of the A/T tires, hence I am having clearance issues. The tires are 215/70/16 which is only 10% more taller than the stock 215/60/16. As for bold text, no real reason.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I realized that neither the tires nor rims were "made" for our car. I was thinking outside the box and make the car "my own". I didn't factor in the extra high that I gained from thread depth of the A/T tires, hence I am having clearance issues. The tires are 215/70/16 which is only 10% more taller than the stock 215/60/16. As for bold text, no real reason.
One of the styling changes to the forthcoming Cx-5 is that it will adopt the snug round arches of the CX-3 to give it a more composed look. In your case it has caused you a problem but I think, and this is my personal opinion, that those wheels exceed what is needed to achieve the rugged look and appear a bit odd. Finding something just right might not be easy but before you buy, there are websites that have comparisons of rolling radius between tire sizes.

The new Cx-5 will appear at the LA show later this month;

·
Super Moderator
550 Posts
Yah, there's not a good way around this problem. If you attach the cladding well enough to survive contact with a rapidly spinning tire, something else will break. It's like a chain: strengthen the weakest link and then the 2nd weakest link will break. It's better to engineer the situation so that the forces applied are such that you aren't pushing parts to the breaking point.

The only long-term solution is going to be to stop the tires from contacting the body.

A few options:
  • Get a fabricator to build a custom, one-off lift kit for your car.
  • Cut your fenders back and/or get some flared fenders that will clear the wheels/tires (probably custom).
  • Buy a different wheel/tire package that will actually fit.
Going from +50mm to -25mm offset is a pretty drastic change and I'd be surprised if it handled and rode anywhere near as well as it used to. How much steering wheel kick back do you get when you hit a bump with just one side? You're putting extra strain on all of the joints by doing this (farther out = longer lever arm). Also, your scrub radius has got to be all kinds of wacky.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd look into getting something closer to offset (+38 mm wheels are readily available) and then experiment with spacers to see how far out you can push the wheels before they start rubbing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are those plastic arch trims available as a spare part?
Mine are scratched to pieces by country lane brambles already. Any ideas how much they'd be?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
They definitely are but no idea what they would cost. My experience so far is that parts are quite reasonable compared to other brands. I can probably find you some part numbers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
When I bought my first Forester, scratches and scrapes on the cladding pieces was considered a badge of distinction. It was like when I was in the navy, if your hat badge was glistening brass, you were considered a low on the totem pole. But if it was green with salt corrosion, you were considered one of the "in" guys.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't fit new arch trims to my motor yet, I'd just scratch them again!
I was just thinking it would be nice to know how much it costs for new ones when it comes to trading it in in a couple of years. Might be worth getting new ones for resale value, not sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe the trims are there to "protect" the fenders and wheel arches. I guess its cheaper to replace the trim pieces than fenders. I just wished they were secured better though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts