Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Denmark you can buy an option that makes rearview mirrors to fold in or out automatically when you turn off or start the engine.
I hear that you have set a relay into the driver's door, someone who has tried to do it themselves and have a chart, job description or similar?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had my set installed before delivery, find it really useful plus you can see the vehicle is locked from a distance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm not certain if US-spec models have the required motors inside the mirror housing. If we're just missing the switches, relay(s), and related wiring, then I would guess it should be a relatively easy install once you have the parts needed. I suppose the easiest way to check would be to do a part number look-up and compare. If we have to swap out the entire mirror assemblies, then it likely becomes a lot less simple and probably a lot more costly.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I'm not certain if US-spec models have the required motors inside the mirror housing. If we're just missing the switches, relay(s), and related wiring, then I would guess it should be a relatively easy install once you have the parts needed. I suppose the easiest way to check would be to do a part number look-up and compare. If we have to swap out the entire mirror assemblies, then it likely becomes a lot less simple and probably a lot more costly.
This is a good point. If somebody is on the verge of investing in a folding mirror kit and wants me to check if the parts catalogue is listing motorised mirrors, PM me with a VIN number and I'll see if it will take a US rather than European model.

·
Registered
226 Posts
On the UK (and I think European) models the exterior mirrors have an electronic fold option that is built into the mirror adjustment switch as standard. If the switch is turned 180 degrees from the mid position - i.e. so the marker on the switch points to the rear - then the mirrors will fold in and when the switch is turned to point forward they will fold out. What the auto folding kit involves is some kind of relay being fitted inside the driver's door which will then activate this closing folding process when the car is locked and then open them when the car is started. I would have thought if the US or other market models have the ability for the driver to turn the mirror switch as described above and thus achieve either closing or opening of the mirrors, then the auto folding kit is all that would be required to get the auto fold ability working?

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is a good point. If somebody is on the verge of investing in a folding mirror kit and wants me to check if the parts catalogue is listing motorised mirrors, PM me with a VIN number and I'll see if it will take a US rather than European model.
If I had a CX-3 I would send you mine ...

Here's one off cars.com JM1DKFD73H0145938

2017 AWD GT i-ActiveSense Ceramic Metallic

Who knows ... it may be the one my dealer's supposed to be getting for me ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
i know the US models don't have motors in the mirrors. but it's a thing id use a lot where i'd live it would be worth $500 to me to get all the parts for it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i know the US models don't have motors in the mirrors. but it's a thing id use a lot where i'd live it would be worth $500 to me to get all the parts for it.
The mirrors in the housings are motorized, but the housing themselves are not, correct?

In other words the whole assembly that we (in the U.S.) normally manually push in, are not motorized ... unlike Japan where it seems as though eveyone has mirrors that fold automatically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts