Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my CX3 to a dealer service center for its 1st oil change last week (2200 miles/6 months) using synthetic oil. I was surprised that the dealer recommended using an engine oil additive (BG MOA). I've read that these additives are useless since the synthetic oil already has the same additives. Is this correct? It's only $25 but I'm wondering if should I even trust this dealer - maybe they frequently try to sell unnecessary products and repairs. Or maybe selling engine oil additives is just a standard practice. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
303 Posts
So I took my CX3 to a dealer service center for its 1st oil change last week (2200 miles/6 months) using synthetic oil. I was surprised that the dealer recommended using an engine oil additive (BG MOA). I've read that these additives are useless since the synthetic oil already has the same additives. Is this correct? It's only $25 but I'm wondering if should I even trust this dealer - maybe they frequently try to sell unnecessary products and repairs. Or maybe selling engine oil additives is just a standard practice. Let me know what you think.
checked out their web site and found this gem

" It prevents engine oil oxidation and thickening under even the most intense driving conditions. When installed by a professional, it keeps engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce cost of operation."

If there is concern with oxidation or thickening after a massive 2200 miles, perhaps the oil they are using is the problem.
Of course, since it's being "installed" by a professional it must be good.;)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I cannon speak for that dealership on their reasons for using such a product but I will say this: Here in Madison we are under the "severe" maintenance schedule as we have bad weather and bad traffic so we do a 4 month/5000 mi oil change interval. I have never sold or suggested using any oil additives especially on these new skyactiv engines (some products I can see being used on older engines) nor have any reason to as like mentioned by OP its kind of useless as anti-*insert market blurb here* are already present in said oil (we use Castrol products). I personally would not agree to using these oil additives as to me its unnecessary. I am also skeptical of these kinds of products because how can one product work well with so many different variants of oil additives already present in different brands of oil using different additives.

In my professional opinion as long as you use quality oil and do proper oil change intervals your engine will last you for quiet a while.

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
I have never been offered any kind of engine oil additive before I started doing my own oil changes. Hell, even auto parts stores don't bother trying to offer me that.

It sounds like an upsell to me considering you can buy the product on Amazon.com for $15.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I never use oil additives. The dealers make a lot of money out of these products. I'm not saying they are harmful but I can't say they do any good and certainly dont justify the cost.

·
Registered
451 Posts
To me it sounds like another snake oil sales tactic. In a car that uses only synthetic oil it is probably about as useful as the electronic rust prevention gimmick that my dealer sells and will attach to the sheet metal (for a ridiculous price). It promises to prevent even one speck of rust showing up during the life of the car. Believe it and I can show you a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd love to sell you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Caveat Emptor

Thanks all for the info and opinions - very helpful. I guess I cannot just trust the dealer to only recommend what is actually needed. Caveat emptor:|

·
Registered
144 Posts
To me it sounds like another snake oil sales tactic. In a car that uses only synthetic oil it is probably about as useful as the electronic rust prevention gimmick that my dealer sells and will attach to the sheet metal (for a ridiculous price). It promises to prevent even one speck of rust showing up during the life of the car. Believe it and I can show you a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd love to sell you.
I bought my son a 9 year old Explorer with the rust prevention thing on it. It was in pretty decent condition. I don't recall why, but for some reason I disconnected it. Within a year it was horribly rusty. Of course it might have been just as rusty had I left it connected. We will never know.

No dealer has ever offered it to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts