Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Yet again I come seeking wisdom.

2016 Model, last 6 months been at a location that is super dusty, that kind of dust that is so fine, that it forms layers and get everywhere, and then been to the coast for a few weeks, can see that the sea breeze makes things a bit greasy. I can see some parts of the engine bay that has a build up of dirty that has set.

Anybody done an engine wash on the CX-3? I'm looking for some do's and don't (what I need to cover from water exposure etc.) I'm aware that most modern day engines are decently well protected from light sprinkles of water.
But just want some advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: From December 2019

Took the plunge, after doing some research on how engine bay washes are done (some youtube videos done on the older generation mazda's), added in some common sense from personal knowledge.
Wash was done!
Steps:
1. Removed engine cover - surprised how much debris gets under there. Used on refuse bag to drape over it.
2. Cover the sensitive electronics (used foil and masking tape), covered the battery (not taking any chances here). Made sure there were no leaks or misaligned seals going to the mass airflow sensors. Covered fuse box (precaution).
3. Started with the underside of the bonnet - light mist like spray then used a general purpose cleaner (not solvent based, and was biodegradable), and a paint brush to work it all in.
Rinsed it - same spray function.
4. Followed the same process for the engine. Doing one half at a time. needed more that one size paint brush.
5. Rinsed and repeated - just to be extra sure.lol
6. Let it dry, then applied a rubber, plastic & vinyl protectant - using a clean paint brush and worked it in all over - This took the most time and patience. As when it dries to a shiny clean finish, it will easy to see where I missed a spot.
7. While waiting for it to dry, applied a quick spray wax to the underneath of the bonnet.
8. As for the cover, used the same cleaner on it, hosed it and let it dry. Then used the rubber, plastic & vinyl protectant on it., and put it back.

All in all, not something I'd do more than once a year (maybe ever 2 years). But Since getting my car I've done nothing in the engine regarding cleaning.

Tip: If you can Park the car at an angle so the water kind of drains as you rinse the engine - there's lots of little places that catch water, and it's not easy to rinse.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't add all the images on one post.

Here's the last 2.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts