Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been poking around mazda's main site (mazdausa) and also asked dealers around and its looking like the cx-3 era has come to an end. Some of us foresaw this when the cx-30 was announced and we appear to have gone the way of the nissan juke -> nissan kicks. Not sure how much dealers can be trusted since sales people like acting like they know what theyre talking about but the 2 places around here said they have not heard any news on a 2020 cx-3 model and are just keeping 2019 inventory to sell off and focus on the cx-30 now. I have not seen any mention of a 2020 cx-3 which further confirms this theory. 2020 models are already shown on the mazdausa site and the cx-3 is not listed (then again neither is the mazda miata yet for a 2020 model so idk how accurate this is).

Its been a blast regardless and I would still get a cx-3 over modern cars since I dont believe in cars having potentially faulty sensors which you cant turn off fully and can cause defective hard braking randomly (as I have learned the hard way in a girlfriend's 2018 nissan rouge).

If anyone works for a mazda dealer and can comment on this feel free to pitch in.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The link on the New Cars section on the Mazda UK site brings up a link saying :-

"Production of the Mazda CX-3 has ceased and remaining stock has almost sold out. We would therefore encourage you to contact your local dealer if you are interested in purchasing one of the remaining CX-3 models."

So despite some in Europe thinking it was just a temporary pause in production, it does now look like they've brought out the CX-30 as its replacement with presumably the higher profit margin that goes with the significant price increase compared to the CX-3 in Europe at least.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah tis indeed a sad day for the cx-3. Was looking at a mazda 3 sedan on the road today with awd driving in front of me as I was going grocery shopping. I thought it was only for the 3 hatchback models (for 2019 anyways) but now with more and more cars getting awd included in their lineup it sort of defeats the purpose the cx3 initially fit.

Seemingly the cx-3 fit a strange crossover niche when it first came out in 2016 for the mazda lineup, a tightly handling, fuel efficient, awd 'car' at a very reasonable stating price. Now with the goal of becoming a luxury brand I feel like mazda is going to lose its already little economical value and is competing in a very questionable market. Its no audi/mercedes/bmw for sure, its also no subaru competitor anymore either. Idk maybe Im undervaluing the brand fanbase but the cx-30 doesnt seem to fit any market that isnt already over saturated or occupied by another model such as the cx-5 etc. Then again I also just think the cx-30 is plain ugly but thats just my opinion lol.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
It seems a pretty dumb move to me. Cease production of the smallest, most practical and affordable model and substitute a much more pricey and slightly larger replacement. Dumb, dumb, dumb! They just effectively killed a market for a very large segment of the population. For me, if I need a new car and I didn't mind a higher price, I would opt for the CX5 over the CX30, although to follow Mazda's logic, the CX5 will probably cease as well and become a more upscale CX50.

Reactions: SlyCoopers

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is the possibility of the CX-3 Sport model trim staying in some markets at least. I don't think this includes the UK / Europe unless the CX-30 doesn't meet their planned sales targets.. Check out these reports :-

https://www.motor1.com/news/388634/2020-mazda-cx-3-trims/

https://www.carsdirect.com/automotive-news/2020-mazda-cx-3-set-to-drop-all-but-one-trim
I believe it, they even sold the mazda 2 for a few years after it was discontinued in the us/eu so it figures that mazda would try to milk their inventory to clearout overseas in smaller markets where the car is still in demand.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems a pretty dumb move to me. Cease production of the smallest, most practical and affordable model and substitute a much more pricey and slightly larger replacement. Dumb, dumb, dumb! They just effectively killed a market for a very large segment of the population. For me, if I need a new car and I didn't mind a higher price, I would opt for the CX5 over the CX30, although to follow Mazda's logic, the CX5 will probably cease as well and become a more upscale CX50.
I fully believe the cx-5 is gonna be cut off at this current design's run. Cx-50 makes sense to push it forward to mazdas imaginary dream of being a luxury brand. Wouldnt be surprised in the miata got a rename if anything on the official terminology ie. no more mx-5 naming maybe even going as far as they do something completely barbaric like make the mazda 3/6 a mx-30, mx-60 or something haha.

The name thing might backfire on them if they decide to go full into it. Usually its difficult for cars to be renamed and build the same following. Like if toyota renamed the corolla, or honda renamed the civic. To the average car shopper everyone has a opinion of certain car brands/models based on past experiences or even word of mouth. Older corollas and civics would 'last forever' because super underpowered compared to competition, low torque/hp causing minimal wear on a powertrain components compared to other vehicles made during that time period. Previous owners might assume newer corolas/civics might have same 'reliability' even though ironically its nowhere near the same car but the name plays a huge role in the car's fanbase and market success.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Mazda are bringing out an electric version of the CX-30, called MX-30. Why not use EX-30 - with E representing Electric - is beyond me. Means the existing MX prefix for the MX-5 will then be somewhat confusing. I think their model naming system has gone to pot in recent years, they should have called the CX-3 a CX-2 as it's size is so closely related to the Mazda 2. That would have left the CX-3 name free to be used for the current CX-5 which I think is more closely related to that car's floorpan size.

Spurious note: The MX-30 is apparently going to have the rear hinged rear door set-up like the old RX-8.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's looking like the CX-3 is certainly being phased out, as many of us have already guessed. It is a great sub-compact CUV, and won me over to the Mazda brand. I still, in some ways, miss my CX-3, but I absolutely love my CX-5. I do have difficulty though, seeing Mazda drop the model altogether worldwide since it is, or was, the number two seller in Canada and parts of Europe for a good while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts