Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed their driver's seat? Within the next month or so I'm planning to change my seat and am looking for all the guidance I can find. I've found several Japanese sites, and with the help of google translate, I've a pretty good idea of the process.

Mechanically, I'm all set. I have the correct adapter, sliders, etc. ... my apprehension is over the wiring ... the side air bag, the seatbelt, the other sensors, etc.

Once again I would be much obliged if the Anchorman has access to the official info. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Has anyone removed their driver's seat? Within the next month or so I'm planning to change my seat and am looking for all the guidance I can find. I've found several Japanese sites, and with the help of google translate, I've a pretty good idea of the process.

Mechanically, I'm all set. I have the correct adapter, sliders, etc. ... my apprehension is over the wiring ... the side air bag, the seatbelt, the other sensors, etc.

Once again I would be much obliged if the Anchorman has access to the official info. :)
Just do it with the ignition off and you can disconnect the plug in safety. Leave it for a few minutes while the seat airbag capacitors discharge then undo the plug and remove the 4 bolts. Amazingly I don’t have the instructions for the front seats - maybe because its so straight forward but I’ve got a photo of mine removed from the CX-5 which is virtually the same;

Reactions: mainemanx

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew it ... I knew the Anchorman would explain it. Thank you.

My plan, so far:

• Discontinue the new seat's SAB and put the ubiquitous 2 ohm resistor across the airbag indicator lamp's lead.

• Use either the accessory socket circuit or the seat heater circuit to power the new seat's motors.

• The seat belt attachment and sensor may be a direct swap ... but at this point, for the "Occupant Classification Sensor", I have no clue.

Interestingly, I've also found useful info on some of the Subaru sites ... plus of course, the Japanese sites.

Wife doesn't understand, but I'm enjoying "messing about" with it :)

P.S. Anchorman, why did you take out your seat?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I hate bolstered seats so I had a seat trimmer reduce them,

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No nonsense solution ... send in the trimmers!

I actually like the boisters, but they don't like me ... rather, they don't like my cheek-to-cheek measurements ;-)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I got the pdf on my last visit.......

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the pdf on my last visit.......
Super Thanks Mr. Anchorman!

The instructions allay my apprehension about the electrics ... removal is super-simple.

Old school, I'm terrified of actuating the air bags ... battery disconected, or air bag fuse removed, and store the OEM seat.
-----
P.S. How are your Modified CX-5 seats?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Super Thanks Mr. Anchorman!

The instructions allay my apprehension about the electrics ... removal is super-simple.

Old school, I'm terrified of actuating the air bags ... battery disconected, or air bag fuse removed, and store the OEM seat.
-----
P.S. How are your Modified CX-5 seats?
They were just fine but after a recent tangle with a truck, I’m getting a new CX-5 this week so will no doubt have to do it all again.

BTW, don’t worry about the airbag. Just make sure the ignition is off and leave it a few minutes. By the time you’ve unbolted it, that will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
109 Posts
They were just fine but after a recent tangle with a truck, I’m getting a new CX-5 this week so will no doubt have to do it all again.
What happened? Was the Cx-5 totaled?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Between the trucks and the lorrys and driving on the wrong side of road, it's no wonder. Next they'll have everyone driving around in circles!

Seriously, per Titanium Grey, what happened? :(

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Apologies to the Anchorman!

Not what happened ... first we should have asked, are the Anchorman and Anchorlady OK? Hopefully no injuries! All will soon be well?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Thanks for the concern, nobody was harmed by this saga!

On the 26th of January, a truck changed lanes while I was alongside him. With only a narrow margin of mud (which I ended up in) and a barrier, I braked hard but he still got the front wing, door and mirror. No big deal you would think but the rest is complicated. The truck insurer accepted liability and the repair got underway but then things started to go wrong and that car is still at the repairer to this day. I’ll say that Mazda UK have been very good and supportive and I’m now the owner of a brand new silver but otherwise identical CX-5.

I’ve also fitted the smoked silver wheels that I’d had colour changed for summer so I’ll post photos soon.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the concern, nobody was harmed by this saga!

On the 26th of January, a truck changed lanes while I was alongside him. With only a narrow margin of mud (which I ended up in) and a barrier, I braked hard but he still got the front wing, door and mirror. No big deal you would think but the rest is complicated. The truck insurer accepted liability and the repair got underway but then things started to go wrong and that car is still at the repairer to this day. I’ll say that Mazda UK have been very good and supportive and I’m now the owner of a brand new silver but otherwise identical CX-5.

I’ve also fitted the smoked silver wheels that I’d had colour changed for summer so I’ll post photos soon.
Good to hear that there are no injuries.
For those of us counting, is that 4 new Mazdas in 3 years ?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The world is rife with complexities ... whether it be Britain, the U.S., or Japan. Wonderful that nobody was hurt.

Smoked silver wheels? Looking forward to seeing those :)

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Good to hear that there are no injuries.
For those of us counting, is that 4 new Mazdas in 3 years ?
Err, yes. One CX3, one 2016 that got stolen, the 2017 and now this Sonic Silver one which I can’t really call a 2018 as it is identical in every respect to the red one. I was very fond of the red one but as far as I know it is still in pieces at the vehicle repairers. It doesn’t belong to me any more. It’s a pity because I was very fond of it and had every intention of keeping it. The only car sitting at the European import centre was silver so that’s how I came to have it but I must say, with the skid plates and the black and chrome, it looks swell.

The world is rife with complexities ... whether it be Britain, the U.S., or Japan. Wonderful that nobody was hurt.

Smoked silver wheels? Looking forward to seeing those :)
Yes, the current CX5 comes with gunmetal black and diamond cut wheels which are often referred to as pizza wheels. The black doesn’t show the outer diameter so while the wheels were off for winter, I had them refurbished in smoked silver. It was originally intended to go with the red but I think it goes OK with the silver.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhh ... Silver Wraith! Certainly more elegant and distinctive than the ubiquitous Soul Red, IMO.

Greedy ... can we get a close-up and details on the process for your wheels? Powder coat?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
It seems that I’m hijacking your thread.

The wheels are acid dipped then shot blasted to remove all the previous coating. This 21 inch wheel was off a Range Rover.

Then they get powder coated and sent into the oven.

After that, they apply the lacquer and build up gloss. The wheels go back in the oven.

The finished wheels were then treated with Jetseal 109.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How do I find a seat trimmer?
A thousand puns could be made with your question ... but seriously, a good car upholstery shop shoud be able to modify your seat for you.

I believe it's simply a matter of re-shaping the foam and re-stretching, and possibly modifying, the covering.

For me, it's my seat that needs to be trimmed, not the car's ;-)

Reactions: st3v3cx-3
1 - 19 of 19 Posts