1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
893 Posts
Haha yeah Mazda has a deal with Toyota, designing the interior of their new Scions. Or should I say just copy/pasting the interior of the Mazda 2/CX3.

From the video:
"We review the 2016 Scion iA which is the Mazda 2 and Yaris R elsewhere"

Well damn, I thought they were just designing the interior but it's all built by Mazda lol.

·
Registered
272 Posts
i find the exterior of this looks very much like the ford focus

·
Registered
119 Posts
Made in Mazdas Mexico plant. In Canada it's Toyota Yaris Sedan. They have some agreement- Mazda won't sell the Mazda2 in North America. Interior is almost the same as CX-3

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they used the Focus face to deliberately divert it away from the Mazda?

·
Registered
872 Posts
The whole thing is a Mazda2 design and powertrain. Exception being the front facia designed to mesh with Toyota's product line. They are selling very well in the Seattle area for some reason.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Made in Mazdas Mexico plant. In Canada it's Toyota Yaris Sedan. They have some agreement- Mazda won't sell the Mazda2 in North America. Interior is almost the same as CX-3
This proves that you can slap the Toyota/Scion logo on anything and it'll sell. Unfortunately people are far far more likely to buy this car rebranded as Toyota/Scion than they would if it was the Mazda 2. This is why Mazda made this deal, it was beneficial for both companies. Toyota doesn't want to spend the money making their own subcompact, and Mazda doesn't want to release a car that will sell 50 units a month lol

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the Mazda brand is more regarded by the motoring press than it was when in bed with Ford. I'm not knocking Ford, I just think they can now be essentially Japanese who are in my opinion, the masters of mass production whether it be cameras, TVs or cars.

·
Registered
872 Posts
didnt toyota get rid of scion?
They are "getting" rid of Scion, they still have their presence. Some Scion models will be rebadged as Toyotas while some will be dropped as they phase down the brand.

iA, iM and FRS will be badged as Toyota for MY17. Rest are gone...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was interested mainly in the praise given to the auto. I appreciate the interior was Mazda's but, some how it looked cheap (but, for the price). As for the look of the car, not to my taste at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts