1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
On the European version, the fixings are easy to get at. If they are not visible on the US version, they must be underneath. Can you show me some photos? I might be able to work it out.

You will need the rear console trinket box if you are to run without it. I'll try to find you a part number if you need it. In fact I must have the one that came out if you want it?

·
Registered
272 Posts
can someone take a picture of what the arm rest looks like? here in canada we dont have any arm rests on any trim level

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I want to see down the back and underneath etc ;-)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are no visible screws, apparently everything is inside, making installation/removal much harder.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
You might have to start with the flippy top and work your way down. On the underside of the flippy part is 5 or 6 small screws. The screws hold the padded top on. The phone holder will have several hooks on the thin trim pieces that run to the rear of the arm rest on either side. Lift those up and then the cup should slide forward and out. Look around near the hinge and see if there's any internal screws visible and remove any that you see in there. There may not be any as my memory is a little fuzzy here.

On the exterior sides of the arm rest, right at the hinge are two round covers that will pry off, one on each side, that will let you access the pin. I've never removed this myself, so I don't know where to go from there, but I'd think it would be pretty self-explanatory once you get in there. My guess is that it's just a long screw, perhaps with a nut on one end. If you get to a point where you don't see any screws, try a gentle tug. Mazda uses a lot of snap fit parts on their center console assemblies, so it may just pop out with a little pull. Obviously, don't yank on it too hard if it doesn't come fairly easily.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Yeah, I reckon the pivot pin has to come out too.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the installation instructions, maybe I can work my way backwards from this, if I feel like it haha. It looks like too much work is involved and I'm too lazy.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Naw, it's easy.

Pivot bolt out, 4 screws, pop the support off, pull the back of the console out and then whip those brackets off.

10 minutes!

Reactions: greaseman85

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll try it this weekend. I feel like it would take me more like an hour to do it haha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow thats a lot of work for just removing the armrest! Well maybe not a lot of work but surprisingly tricky :p

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly, I looked at it and lost all interest in trying to remove it haha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies and information. I'm a paraplegic, so finding time and effort to attempt this is hard. Although, I guess I shouldn't blame my disability. Anyway. I'll check back in when I get a chance to attempt it. I really love the CX-3, but the armrest design flaw...is just terrible. By far the worst thing about the car. And it should be insignificant, but it bothers me almost every trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did it. Remove caps (small screw driver or knife) from swing up pivot point. Stove head bolt. Remove nut and bolt. Arm rest is off. Remove screws holding pedestol to braces. Remove bolts holding braces to tunnel (extension and universal needed for front brace). Lift consoul to recover any parts/tools droped while working (it will happen). Replace bolts and order tray from your dealer. Part #D09W-64-470-02 from Sport(base).(~$10). It uses the same snaps to click in. Regret not taking pictures to help others.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
This is the one from mine (already claimed);

I’ve got a slightly different part number. Maybe the carbon fibre effect???

Reactions: mainemanx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Removed mine. Covered drink holder--do not get between my wife and her coffee! Caps on pivot pin pop off-they are left and right hand-use small screw driver or dental type tool. Remove bolt from arm rest. Undo 4 small screws holding pedestol to brackets. Unbolt 3 bracket nuts from tunnel(extension required for front bracket). Replace nuts holding tunnel cover to car. Install tray from Sport--clips in.
Find someone that wants the arm rest and sell it to or give it to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Removed, it was sorta a pain. Is there a market for the thing?

Nice now. The carbon fibre fake change holder is good. But best, now the bump for the wrist, the controls, almost make sense. The armrest was evil when paired with the controls and the cup holder. Don't care, I drive with both hands.

But it was a PAIN to get off.

Pop the covers over the pivot stove bolt and unscrew and take off top, no problem.

Then there were 4 allen screws but 2 of them were blocked mostly! I ended up using the next-smaller size allen at an angle and a lot of force, got them out. Then pulling stuff off, and a couple _more_ allen screws, I think total 6.

But then, there are these brackets that go way down - and for the front one, I had to buy a universal-joint for the socket, the angle was too extreme. Way too many parts/bolts/screws. Done now.

Anyone buying these armrests? :)

I'll probably post a picture of the disassembled bits... In a min...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts