Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do people go to the trouble of removing the badging info from the back of the car? It takes some of the fun out of showing off your beast (IMHO). When I don't recognize a car from behind I usually try and read the badges to find out what kind of animal it is. The CX3 is not a car that is instantly recognizable to the majority of people driving the highways and it is a nice gesture to let them satisfy their curiosity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do people go to the trouble of removing the badging info from the back of the car? It takes some of the fun out of showing off your beast (IMHO). When I don't recognize a car from behind I usually try and read the badges to find out what kind of animal it is. The CX3 is not a car that is instantly recognizable to the majority of people driving the highways and it is a nice gesture to let them satisfy their curiosity.
Personally, I like the look of a debadged car, gives the vehicle a more symmetrical look especially in our case with the dual exhaust tips. Also makes detailing a little easier since you don't have to worry about dirt and grim getting stuck between the letters on the badges.

The only reason I will probably not debadge mine though is because I'm not sure how long I will own my CX-3. Waiting to see how the Honda Civic Type R turns out price wise, also holding out hope that Mazda will release a more performance oriented Mazda3.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why do people go to the trouble of removing the badging info from the back of the car?
Because it makes waxing the car easier.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used to be a regular on one of the Mazdaspeed sites and it was quite a big deal (along with the evil Mazda logo). I never quite understood the point of it.

Now, I did have an employer that liked his Mercedes. He drove a CL550 (and later a CL65) and his wife had a S550. I asked him why he de-badged his cars (BTW, this guy went to school with H.R Giger - not that this has anything to do with it; I just thought is was cool) and he said he did not want to "advertise" how much he paid for his cars...

·
Registered
451 Posts
LOL I guess I like to keep the badging because I advertise how little I pay - compared to the Mercedes I used to drive around when I actually worked for a living ;) But you have the most compelling reason to debadge, namely because it is easier to clean and polish the hatch without all the chrome crap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thats got

To be the best response ever, love your way of thinking.

I removed my Badges because here in Australia, we have the opportunity to search for Number Plates and if available to Order them, hence my Plates CX-300, how many times do I really have to tell others what car it is, as we are all different, do what you like, thats why I too put a Bumper Protector on my Car, just trying to change it up as a personal thing.

Plus I changed the Exhaust Tips to Remus Carbon Fibre Style, do nothing except fill the Bumper better than the standard ones, and I know that people would probably also wonder as to why I lowered my car and fitted Simmons wheels.

Remember its all about person preferences.:)

Darren

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's no trouble to debadge at all, 20 second blast with her-dryer to soften the glue and they come off easy, no residue at all. I can stick em back on when I get rid of the car.
I couldn't give a monkeys if people know what car I've got. I've had three people ask if it was a Lexus and one ask if it's a Hyundai!
I was actually gonna leave the AWD badge on, but I thought that would be a bit sad, it's the same as sticking an AWD sticker on it to me.

i don't like having badges or logos on anything really, it's like wearing a tshirt with a logo on it as far I'm concerned- you should be paid for advertising.
Even worse than leaving badges on a car is when people leave the sticker from garage they bought it from on there! Why???

·
Registered
893 Posts
I used to be a regular on one of the Mazdaspeed sites and it was quite a big deal (along with the evil Mazda logo). I never quite understood the point of it.

Now, I did have an employer that liked his Mercedes. He drove a CL550 (and later a CL65) and his wife had a S550. I asked him why he de-badged his cars (BTW, this guy went to school with H.R Giger - not that this has anything to do with it; I just thought is was cool) and he said he did not want to "advertise" how much he paid for his cars...
That I can understand, although it is still a bit weird because I would want to show that I have an expensive car. After all it's a status symbol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why do you want to show off that you have an expensive car?
Why not just print out your bank statement and stick that to the back of your motor?

An expensive car is not a status symbol. It just shows that someone spent a lot of money on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I can afford a car like that, why wouldn't I show it off? What else is the point of buying it? LOL
Er.. because you like the car and would enjoy driving it.
if the pleasure you get from owning something nice is derived from thinking you're making other people jealous, that's pretty sad I think.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Its not about making people jealous, you're taking this too far. I'm simply saying if I could afford a car like that, I would show it off instead of try to hid how expensive it is. That's all. Expensive cars turn heads, and the people buying them know this. There are plenty of affordable cars I like too, so it's obviously not just about liking it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I'm suppose I'm just a bit old fashioned as I dislike ostentatious displays of wealth.
Some people are impressed by supercars and would love to be seen in gold wrapped Ferrari. I would be too embarrassed to even stand near one!
I always find it cringeworthy when blokes stand and stare at, or even worse photograph supercars. I'm more impressed with old motors, and stuff that's well made and engineered.
To me, an Aston is okay as they're beautiful but not too showy, but a Ferrari or Lamborghini is ridiculous. ( I still wouldn't want to been seen driving an Aston though!)
If I found a spare quarter million down the back of the sofa and wanted to drop it on a motor, I'd probably get something like an icon 4x4, or some kinda rust rod pickup.
But anyway, well off topic here!

If I had some badman m-series beemer, I'd still pull the badges off it, subtlety is much cooler, and I bet they sell 10x as many M badges as they do M cars.

... not that I'd ever drive a BMW either! Haha

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if you ask me, it looks awesome without the extra wording!

The issue is that cars these days have so many extra words on the back its annoying. Driving on the highway, you see "3.5L V6" or "xdrive325i" etc etc. I'm just like who da F cares about all the specs your car has!

Imo cars should just have the model if anything so people can look at that. The only time I would want to keep the badge on would be if it was a sports car like a Mustang 5.0.

I'm a simple guy. If a thief broke into my apt, he'd be like wtf there's nothing to steal here! I want my car to be minimal as well. No one else has to know I have an AWD..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah exactly, the only people who are gonna care about the specs of your car, are people who know the specs of your car. (and will probably tell YOU them given half a chance)
I've always wondered why they wrote certain specs on the outside of cars, but I suspect it's probably a proven method of marketing to blokes and upselling them.

·
Super Moderator
547 Posts
For some people, conspicuous displays of wealth are considered gauche.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you've got it you neither need nor care about displaying it.

:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts