Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of note The Mazda 2 weighs in at 2250 lbs. I figure its safe to assume that even with AWD and the beefier overall vehicle the CX3 should come in well under 3000 lbs...

Which should make for a nimble and engaging ride, with great fuel economy as well!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
The CX3 looks great, now we just have to wait for some driving reviews. The low weight should signal good things for driving dynamics. I think with a car like this fuel economy is super important. I know I'd be upset if it wasn't pulling some pretty impressive fuel economy numbers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The CX3 looks great, now we just have to wait for some driving reviews. The low weight should signal good things for driving dynamics. I think with a car like this fuel economy is super important. I know I'd be upset if it wasn't pulling some pretty impressive fuel economy numbers.
whats the metric for pretty good? I mean you must have a benchmark or competitor you're expecting CX3 to at least meet or supersede??

·
Registered
30 Posts
The HR-V weights about 2850 lb. The CX-3 has the same dimensions, I would expect it to have similar weight.

The Mazda 3 Sport with the same engine weights 2910 lb.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing to look into is what they have done to save weight, what technologies they have used and where exactly they have cut down on weight which could very well be more effective than what Honda and the competition has done. Being a sporty vehicle, who knows, maybe they cut in area's that would immediately help with it feeling sportier.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember reading when the new MX-5 came out that Mazda takes a wholistic, total vehicle approach to saving weight. as in right down to the fasteners, lets make everything LIGHTER!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
going right down to the fasteners is crazy but come to think about it, it's easier to do that than it is to re-engineer some massively significant component that takes millions, might as well take advantage of easy wins.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
going right down to the fasteners is crazy but come to think about it, it's easier to do that than it is to re-engineer some massively significant component that takes millions, might as well take advantage of easy wins.
LOL thats not an easy win, there is less glamour and tons more work in bottom to top change in components and culture. To "re-engineer some massively significant component that takes millions" is easier and more visible than what Mazda is doing now.

Kudos for taking the hard road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts