Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The mini Mazda is nearing arrival, however with so many new options in segment the choice has never been more difficult.

Chief rivals to the CX-3 include the Jeep Renegade, Nissan Juke, Chevrolet Trax and Honda's also new HR-V.

While we know the CX-3 will make use of a 2.0L inline 4, power figures are still MIA. We also know that AWD will be extra cost, we just don't know what kind of costs were working with yet.

Renegade

Renegade pricing starts at $18,990 for a truck without air conditioning, 2 engine choices are available a 1.4L Turbo and a 2.4L natural 4 cylinder. AWD is a $2000 option.

Juke

At $21,075 for the base model the Juke still remains the godfather of the segment, propelling it to relevant status just a few years ago. a 188 hp 1.6L Turbo provides the motivation, routed through a CVT and no charge AWD. The Juke is the racier of the options for sure.

Trax

One of the better equipped vehicles in class, Onstar, 4G LTE, Navigation, backup camera and Siri Eyes free all attempt to buy your love with fancy tech gizmos, as a car it sounds average at best.

HRV

The other segment mystery, aside from fuel economy (28 city/35 highway) Honda is playing this one close to the chest. 138 hp from a 1.8L I4 routed through a CVT doesn't exactly scream urgency.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No mention of the 500X? If one is willing to go Italian with the Renegade, why not the prettier of the 2 Fiats? Oops, I'm sorry, the Renegade is a Jeep. Right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No mention of the 500X? If one is willing to go Italian with the Renegade, why not the prettier of the 2 Fiats? Oops, I'm sorry, the Renegade is a Jeep. Right.
Good point, Fiat is after all part of Chrysler, which Jeep is also part of, all under the same umbrella.

It would be wrong to not include the 500X as the purposes it serves are very similar to all listed here, I even notice many folks considering these, also have the 500X on their list.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, and my broader point is they are made in the same Italian factory and share drive trains along with other major mechanical bits. I was being a bit of a wiseguy as there is reason to pick the specially prepared and expensive Jeep Trailhawk over the 500x if indeed you go off road occasionally. If you are going to use them in an urban setting, its mostly just a styling preference choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me I vote a big thumbs down and then some to the notion of a small Jeep crossover as well as the Chevy Trax. I think this possible future little Jeep suv will be unattractive and unreliable.....currently there are tons of complaints on the new Jeep Cherokee...cute as heck but so many say what a hunk of junk......now back to the Chevrolet Trax....what a waste...first it is basically a Buick Encore but it really is just a cheap awful tin can that is really designed for the rental car market. So just my vote, only the CS3 and HRV are going to be worth a darn.....no thanks Jeep and Chevy...and Fiat? Oh my God, the 500 freaks me out it's so small and those who drive it are nuts....but a mini SUV from Fiat, ok maybe but probably not......just the Mazda and Honda, please, sirs....where did I park my Range Rover Evoque, by the way? Yikes, have no idea, Hon

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was looking into the HRV, but the rest of the vehicles you listed here I just don't like the look of. The Renegade looks alright but I don't want to spend the extra money for off-road capability that I am not going to use.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was looking into the HRV, but the rest of the vehicles you listed here I just don't like the look of. The Renegade looks alright but I don't want to spend the extra money for off-road capability that I am not going to use.
Once you look at the CX-3, it hard to consider anything else in it's segment if how it looks is something on top of your checklist.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Once you look at the CX-3, it hard to consider anything else in it's segment if how it looks is something on top of your checklist.
I think that Mazda wins hands down for looks. I also think that Mazda has done a goo d job with performance too though. That is an area where the CX3 is on more equal footing with other models, although there are differences depending on what you are looking for from your car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
you dont have to spend the extra money, AWD is optional on all models except the top trim TH...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd add the Kia Soul to the list. The Soul gets little respect, but this longtime Mazda fan (2 Miatas, 1 RX7-R1, 1 Tribute) also owns a Soul+ with 85,000 rock solid miles. The Soul has the most cargo capacity of every vehicle in the B-Segment CUV class (61.3). It's the current best seller (150,000 sold last year). It has the best horsepower to weight ratio (17.3 - but we don't know the CX-3 number yet). It has a very usable interior (the HRV looks better, the Renegade kind of garish). I've seen all but the CX3 in person at auto shows (Boston, Providence). Rumors say a 201 HP engine will be announced at Chicago, giving the Soul a blow-your-mind horsepower to weight ratio of 14. And all of this - around $18,000 for a Soul+ well equipped, much less after significant discounts. The only negatives about my Soul are a harsh, choppy ride and high noise level. Well - I should add the very polarizing looks. We like it, but lots of people call it a clown car.

I think the CX3 is hot, and I definitely plan on test driving it this spring when I replace my Soul at the 100,000 mile mark. But I'll also drive the HRV, the Renegade, the new generation Soul+, and the 500X. Let the most car for the money win!

My expectations of the CX3 - the only area it loses to the other cars is cargo space, but it really loses big. It wins hands down on looks. It's a Mazda, so I expect it will be bullet proof reliable. It's a Mazda, so I expect it will be the best handling. It's a Mazda, so I expect it'll have great fuel economy. And I expect the interior will be awesome.

Scott

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, we forgot about the Soul which certainly fits the category. I understand the latest generation is quieter, faster,better.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I want to like the Soul but I just don't think that the styling appeals to me. It is too boxy. I do hear that it is a good vehicle though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would also add the Subaru Crosstrek XV, a bit bigger, more off-road geared like the Renegade, but also fuel efficient with it's CVT

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would also add the Subaru Crosstrek XV, a bit bigger, more off-road geared like the Renegade, but also fuel efficient with it's CVT
That is indeed a good option.
Have been noticing a good number of them on the road, people are digging them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
They'll have plans to increase power, it's only early in it's production cycle, they don't want to let out all they have for it at once. It's quite possible that at the end of it's production cycle it could end up with 20-30 more HP than it entered with.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They'll have plans to increase power, it's only early in it's production cycle, they don't want to let out all they have for it at once. It's quite possible that at the end of it's production cycle it could end up with 20-30 more HP than it entered with.
So you think they are going to offer a performance or sport version?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Lots of people are hoping for a performance model, so they know the demand is there, but I'm not sure about about which engine they would use or if the CX-3 performance model would be profitable while staying in an acceptable price range.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts