Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get some more keys. Amazon has CX5 keys for $90 (up from $80 last week...). They look identical and have the same FCC number. Are they the same? They have no CX3 keys.

My local dealer has offered to program them in for free, but warned me that they have been unable to program a key purchased on Amazon, and they obviously are not responsible for that.
They also say that their cost on the key is $127, so he doubts an authentic key can be bought anywhere for $90.

I looked up a company that sells only to locksmiths, and they show the same key for both CX3 and Cx5, but the dealer tells me they are different part numbers. It is all so confusing.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I would take an educated guess that they are the same BUT for $37 bucks and the dealers time in programming, I would give them the business.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would take an educated guess that they are the same BUT for $37 bucks and the dealers time in programming, I would give them the business.
I agree with the above! Let dealer do it for the small price diff; then any problems they will have to deal with!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the extraordinary step of asking Mazda. They say a CX5 key is the same as a CX3 key.

When I said the dealer's cost was $127, I meant his cost to buy one; not my cost from him. Two days ago he was supposed to call my with his price, but hasn't.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
How do you know his price?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you know his price?
He told me the keys I could buy on ebay for $90 had to be fake because he has to pay $127 for them.

But he sold me a roof rack "at cost" for the same price I could buy one on ebay. I doubt anyone is making fake CX3 roof racks. Since he didn't charge for the labor it was still a good price, but it wasn't honest.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
If he's giving you that kind of info I doubt he'll rob you. You just need a firm price. I'd still rather have a genuine one unless it was 2 or 3 times as much.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree with the above! Let dealer do it for the small price diff; then any problems they will have to deal with!!!
I bought two keys from the dealer for $130 each. I could have bought them on ebay for $80 each, but then the dealer could have just said they didn't work (or perhaps they really didn't work) and I would have been screwed. I figured it was worth $100 to avoid that.

But it has all worked out.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I bought two keys from the dealer for $130 each. I could have bought them on ebay for $80 each, but then the dealer could have just said they didn't work (or perhaps they really didn't work) and I would have been screwed. I figured it was worth $100 to avoid that.

But it has all worked out.
It actually sounds quite reasonable for a modern car key.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonder how much such a key would cost from Mazda UK - bet it's a lot more than the £100 equivalent.
In addition to the key cost, you have to pay them to program it; figure an hour of labor.

I got my dealer to throw in two "valet" keys when I bought it. He gave me two keys that opened the door, but wouldn't start the car. I objected to that, and he agreed program for free if I provided/paid for the keys.
I don't know if $130 is his normal price or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts