Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you expect the 2014 Mazda CX3 to come with - front wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD) ?

I'm really hoping for AWD - even if its an extra-cost option. But I read that its likely to only offer FWD.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I as well would be into an AWD option but I think there may be packaging options. Not to mention from what I hear MAzda doesnt do AWD particularly well?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't care for AWD

As nice as it would be to have it, my needs are minimal and FWD will serve me well, AWD will just be overkill

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like to have AWD to make sure I can get through winter conditions. I think they will offer both. I'll pay the extra for it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would opt for a an awd. But like Kanban mentioned I am also not too familiar with how Mazda's awd systems goe. I mean the best we can do is look at the other vehicles in the past like the CXs. Everything else they had was front wheel driven.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like to have AWD to make sure I can get through winter conditions. I think they will offer both. I'll pay the extra for it.
A lot of people get through winter just fine with FWD vehicles that have snow tires, AWD in winter isn't a must.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A lot of people get through winter just fine with FWD vehicles that have snow tires, AWD in winter isn't a must.
I'm aware its not a must, but I'd prefer it. We get quite a bit of snow up here and I'd rather be on the safe side. My only accident ever happened when I was in a snow storm, so I like to be extra cautious.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm aware its not a must, but I'd prefer it. We get quite a bit of snow up here and I'd rather be on the safe side. My only accident ever happened when I was in a snow storm, so I like to be extra cautious.
The only thing AWD does for you is aid traction to get you going, if you're going to hit something because of a loss in traction AWD is not going to save you.

Same with snow tires, if you're driving too fast for the conditions you will certainly have an accident regardless of AWD and snow tires. In fact AWD and snowtires are the leading equipment in winter accidents, you know why, false sense of security...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Most are incompetent winter drivers, knowing how to drive and control a vehicle in winter driving conditions should be a priority, a priority over AWD.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Awd drive can keep you out of an accident by allowing you to accelerate out of someones way. It can prevent the dreaded backwards slide when you find yourself out of traction on the way up a hill. It can make getting stuck less likely and that is no small consideration. Once stuck someone can slide into you. I will admit driver skill is the most important thing for safety , But awd is a definite advantage if used with some common sense. Where people get in trouble is thinking they can get away with driving faster because of it.

There are usually only 1/2 dozen or so icy road days around here a year (central Okla.) so I think I will pass on the heavier and more expensive awd. Any further north I would consider it.
If I lived North of Kansas or in the Mountain West I would want it..

My only experience with Awd was in a company provided Astrovan service vehicle.

Made it lot easier to get around in the slick stuff. The rear drive only versions gave miserable traction but the awd also got significantly better traction than my Mazda 3 sedan I had at the time.

·
Registered
265 Posts
getting unstuck and just having that extra capability in specific situations are the perks i see from it.

accidents, you can prevent at least when it comes to something where you could potentially be at fault.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts