Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey Australia, shopping for a CX-3 and cross shopping its main rivals? By the numbers here is the CX-3 vs the HR-V vs the Trax vs the Captur. Subjectively none can hold a candle to the flowing lines of the CX-3, more tangible aspects need to be determined by the individual shopper with test drives. Numbers courtesy of Drive.au

Mazda CX-3 sTouring FWD petrol pricing and specifications

Price: $28,990
Engine: 2.0-litre 4-cylinder petrol
Power: 109kW at 6000rpm
Torque: 192Nm at 2800rpm
Transmission: 6-speed auto
0-100km/h: 8.9 seconds
Claimed fuel use: 6.1L/100km
Fuel use on test: 9.3L/100km

Honda HR-V VTi-S* pricing and specifications

Price: $27,990
Engine: 1.8-litre 4-cylinder petrol
Power: 105kW at 6500rpm
Torque: 172Nm at 4300rpm
Transmission: CVT auto
0-100km/h: 10.2 seconds
Claimed fuel use: 6.9L/100km
Fuel use on test: 9.9L/100km
* VTi-L model tested ($32,990) but VTi-S used for comparative purposes.

Holden Trax 1.4 LTZ pricing and specifications

Price: $29,990
Engine: 1.4-litre
Power: 103kW at 4900rpm
Torque: 200Nm at 1850rpm
0-100km/h: 9.3 seconds
Claimed fuel use: 6.9L/100km (premium unleaded recommended)
Fuel use on test: 11.1L/100km

Renault Captur Dynamique pricing and specifications

Price: $27,990
Engine: 1.2-litre 4-cylinder turbo petrol
Power: 88kW at 4900rpm
Torque: 190Nm at 2000rpm
0-100km/h: 11.1 seconds
Claimed fuel use: 5.4L/100km (premium unleaded recommended)
Fuel use on test: 8.8L/100km

The Holden is long in the tooth, the Captur is too quirky in my opinion and the HR-V seems boring...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not very interested in the Trax. Seems over priced and its design is boring to me. Honda also seems boring. I'd consider the captur, but they don't sell that in North America so that takes away those options :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not very interested in the Trax. Seems over priced and its design is boring to me. Honda also seems boring. I'd consider the captur, but they don't sell that in North America so that takes away those options :)
I agree.

To me the only department where the HRV wins is with better cargo capacity and loading/unloading.
Aside from that the CX-3 is the clear winner to me :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks Kanban. These are first acceleration figures I have seen for the CX-3.
Is there an article that goes with these stat tables that we might access for additional info?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think the CX3 designers had any intention of competing with the Soul or HRV or Encore or any of those. Mazda made major compromises to utility in order to get looks and economy.

Buyers who want real space - they're gonna take one look at the rear seats and hatch of a CX-3 and laugh. But that's cool, because the buyers eyeing the CX-3 are looking at the others and sticking a finger down their throat (I own a Soul, and even I think it's ugly).

I just don't think the CX-3 is even trying to compete with the HRV. Doesn't need to. It's competing with the Juke, maybe the Veloster. CX-3 is chasing a young buyer who values looks over everything, but who also doesn't have a whole lotta cash sitting around. The CX-3 delivers low upfront and recurring cost, and most importantly, hot looks. For the target market - home run.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would add that the CX-3 buyer and Mazda owners in general are more interested in driving enjoyment and vehicle dynamics than the average buyer and if some compromises need be made , so be it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Its definitely going after a younger buyer who cares a bit more about styling than some other more practical matters. I just find most of the other models in this segment to be ugly or boring, or too expensive. I think that's why the CX3 is going to do so well. Its offering something that the segment doesn't really have right now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's a good target.

Going after the older crowd won't help a long term strategy much.

They're coming out with great vehicles targeted towards younger folks with the potential for long term repeat buyers and brand loyalists... who wouldn't with what mazda is giving us here!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.