Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Friday, my CX-3 was rear ended. No one hurt, but new car no more :( Still waiting on the damages from insurance but I got it towed as to not cause any further damage. The muffler/exhaust was pushed in and the bumper was tearing behind the hatch. I know some of the cross traffic sensors are somewhere there, hope they weren't damaged. Even when fixed, it will probably never be the same and likely to have issues down the road. :(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
That could be worse than it looks if it's pushed the frame forward of the bumper. I would empty the trunk and look at the floor for signs of rippling and it will need 4 wheel alignment.

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
That really looks pretty minor, so lets hope that is the case here. I would just make sure to find a GOOD body shop so you get the paint matched correctly!

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
What I don't like is the bumper fixings broken out like that. It suggests the trunk floor has been shunted forward leaving the bumper in mid air.

·
Super Moderator
108 Posts
What I don't like is the bumper fixings broken out like that. It suggests the trunk floor has been shunted forward leaving the bumper in mid air.
I see what you mean, especially in the first picture. However, it looks like a relatively low hit so I hope it is just the bumper and nothing structural.

OP, keep us updated on the repair!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A quick update, the car got to the body shop. They just took off the lights and bumper. In the pictures you can see what I think is the cross traffic sensors (much bigger than I figured) and of course the crumpled bumper. Looks like the right side of the bumper got more of a jolt. We are still waiting for the final report on total damages. Sorry, only had enough time to take these quick shots at that angle. More to come.

https://app.box.com/s/zrrug3c05oa16eogjq9br9yzl7bzek74

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
OK, so its bent the lower impact bar right under and the 2 upper restraints are bent too. Some of those brackets are welded so will need chopping off. Now you need to look inside the trunk and see if there is any evidence of rippling in the floor. The exhaust also needs examining right to the front and the engine mountings too. If it has damaged the engine mounts, other items like the radiator pack need examining.

Edit. Just noticed that far side is worse.

·
Registered
274 Posts
On Friday, my CX-3 was rear ended. No one hurt, but new car no more :( Still waiting on the damages from insurance but I got it towed as to not cause any further damage. The muffler/exhaust was pushed in and the bumper was tearing behind the hatch. I know some of the cross traffic sensors are somewhere there, hope they weren't damaged. Even when fixed, it will probably never be the same and likely to have issues down the road. :(
Not wanting to put the dampeners on your rear end bingle but, I think anchorman could have his finger on the pulse. Let me explain.

My daughter had a similar rear end accident. See pics for comparison.

At first we thought that au$1500 might cover it. (You can do the conversion to us$ for yourself)

First look by the repairer thought it might be closer to au$4000.

On the hoist they said it would probably be around the au$8000 mark.

In the end because the frame pulled back into spec easier than expected, it came to around au$7000.

What had happened was like anchorman had suggested.

The well that the spare tire sat in was "crunched up". This force was transmitted further into the car towards the front, causing quite extensive damage.

It took a bit over 3wks to get it repaired. All seems well now.

Maybe worth a mention:

My daughter immediately after the accident used her iPhone to take pics of his car, her car and the driver himself. (Lesson to be learned there). That certainly helped when going through her insurance. He was test driving the car he was in with the intent of buying it. he also was NOT insured.

It didn't cost my daughter a penny other than her time. She had a car supplied by the insurer while hers was being repaired.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope who ever hit you had insurance.
Here in Ontario, as long as you have coverage you will get it fixed. Only difference is paying the deductible. Since the distracted teen ACTUALLY admitted it, I won't be dinged a think, but making a claim may get your premiums to rise in the future.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here in Ontario, as long as you have coverage you will get it fixed. Only difference is paying the deductible. Since the distracted teen ACTUALLY admitted it, I won't be dinged a think, but making a claim may get your premiums to rise in the future.
Reading your reply riosx has prompted me to add a little more info for other members info.

As you rightly pointed out, her premiums may rise next time. The fact that the other driver was not insured didn't matter as my daughter "had proof" that it was his fault via her photos (funny though, the insurance was a little "miffed" that she didn't have witnesses). They however, didn't require her to pay the first part of her claim (deductible). I presume for most of you, your deductible ranges from au$500 to au$1000 (us$375 to us$750 approx).

The other thing that members should take note off is "she had insurance that supplied a loan car". If not for this fact she would have been in "more trouble than the earlier settlers". And, would have cost plenty to hire a car.

Bottom line: Have insurance and think of adding the use of a hire car to the policy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you can never have enough insurance. A pay a premium for extra coverage which I hope I NEVER need but it's there. One option I do have is full value replacement of the amount originally paid including options. I currently have that on 2 vehicles. Option only available for vehicles less than five years old. It's a a few hundred dollars more which is a lot but in this case I almost would have had to use it. So if my 3 year old kia valued now at $11,000 gets wrecked, I get back $ 26,000 of the original payment made for the car. (Not a cash thing just a replacement value).

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think you can never have enough insurance. A pay a premium for extra coverage which I hope I NEVER need but it's there. One option I do have is full value replacement of the amount originally paid including options. I currently have that on 2 vehicles. Option only available for vehicles less than five years old. It's a a few hundred dollars more which is a lot but in this case I almost would have had to use it. So if my 3 year old kia valued now at $11,000 gets wrecked, I get back $ 26,000 of the original payment made for the car. (Not a cash thing just a replacement value).
Like you riosx, I also have what we call here "agreed value" (full value). The other cover is "market value" (you get back what the car is valued at the time of the accident).

The only problem I have with "agreed value" is, (I'll use your example of the 3 year old Kia) when you car is damaged and you would receive $26,000, would the insurer elect to repair your car for say $15,000 even thought, if it was insured for "market value" it would have been a "write off".

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but ...

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of the inside of the rear bumper cover after it was removed from your CX-3. I haven't bought a CX-3 yet (it will probably happen in June), but I am working out how I am rework the cover to get the overall length below 14 feet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi , check if the back door close well and check near the subwoofer inside if there is any damage . There is the bumper enforcer that it need replacement aswell I think . Make sure that you take in the right place for repairs and Im 100% that the car is new again .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its not just about getting the damage fixed....make sure you also claim "diminished value" since now the car's title is blemished and is not worth the same as a vehicle that had never been damaged; regardless of the quality of repair. You should be able to get about 20% in cash offset to cover your diminished value due to the accident. Math as follows: Car was worth $20k USD before accident. Car is now worth $15k after repairs. You get $5k in diminished value from the insurance company.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill check my photos and see if I have ones that fit your needs Tipo158.

Might as well give an update;) . Insurance did cover the new differential (MAZDA installed). They will go after the towing company for the damages. Already passed 60k's on the odometer, not much snow in Toronto this year but with the new parts all is working well especially the AWD. Fuel economy still continues to surprise us, averaging 7.1 -7.3 km per litre. I like using Gumout Regane because it contains PEA additive.

Did I mention I hate the dealer networks? My dad ran a successful, honest garage for 35 years. He never applied pressure tactics or over selling of unneeded work yet these front line service guys at the dealer always try to push it on you trying to scare you with questionable warranty coverage in the future. NOT having my tires rotated at the dealer or my brakes inspected by Mazda does not hurt the warranty. They can put in bold block letters "REFUSED service" on the bill and I will always counter "with PLEASURE." Thats $600 worth of BS work the dealer wants to charge. If i want to change the brakes (which are like new still), ill do it myself and it wouldn't effect the warranty. They try that crap on my wife, not cool. I follow the manual maintenance guide not the dealer. I would do the oil change myself but even I can admit, the oil changes are reasonably priced at the dealer plus they do act on service bulletins and other minor stuff that is useful. Trust me, ill be changing the oil at 10+ not 8000kms after warranty.

Time to do a Blackstone oil test on the CX3 and a well over do throttle body cleaning (Maybe CRC or Seafoam) for these efficient but dirty as hell GDI engines. I will provide better updates when I do the work. Just got a inspection camera. Plan to take pics inside the throttle body, cylinder head soon. Peace out.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts