Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any significant differences between the cx-3 and cx-5 (besides the dimensions and therefore the available space, obviously)?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The drive train - engine, gearbox and drive axle are very similar (albeit slightly scaled up) but the biggest difference is in the suspension and running gear which is very much beefier. My CX-3 was on its knees with four adults in but a CX-5 doesn't know five adults are there. It's horses for courses and for my use, the CX-3 is just what I was expecting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drive train - engine, gearbox and drive axle are very similar (albeit slightly scaled up) but the biggest difference is in the suspension and running gear which is very much beefier. My CX-3 was on its knees with four adults in but a CX-5 doesn't know five adults are there. It's horses for courses and for my use, the CX-3 is just what I was expecting.
thank you very much for the explanation!
I thought that the cx-3 could handle pretty easily 4 adults... :(
perhaps some stiffer suspension could solve this problem

·
Registered
65 Posts
thank you very much for the explanation!
I thought that the cx-3 could handle pretty easily 4 adults... :(
perhaps some stiffer suspension could solve this problem
I test drove the CX5 against the CX3 and I liked the higher height and spacious back seats and cargo area but I thought the FWD engine was a bit underpowered. + the CX3 gave more tech inclusions where the CX5 you have to option upgrade on many things.

I think you would have to have 4 very small adults to fit into the CX3 :laugh:

Essentially the CX3 is really a single person or couple without children's car. I think if you have any kids over 5 years of age you may struggle for room. Mazda are going after a particular demographic with the CX3 and it aint large families. The CX5 and CX9 cater for that crowd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I test drove the CX5 against the CX3 and I liked the higher height and spacious back seats and cargo area but I thought the FWD engine was a bit underpowered. + the CX3 gave more tech inclusions where the CX5 you have to option upgrade on many things.

I think you would have to have 4 very small adults to fit into the CX3 :laugh:

Essentially the CX3 is really a single person or couple without children's car. I think if you have any kids over 5 years of age you may struggle for room. Mazda are going after a particular demographic with the CX3 and it aint large families. The CX5 and CX9 cater for that crowd.
I won't be driving around with 4 adults in the car (if not occasionally and for very short distances). So I suppose this shouldn't be a major problem. Moreover I will be using the car mostly alone / with a passenger...

PS: I went for the cx-3 for the looks of the car and the tech inclusions... (the cx-5 looks a bit too "big" even though it's just some 26/27 cm longer

·
Registered
65 Posts
In Italy you can have the cx-5 awd only with a 2.2 diesel engine...
Australia you have a choice between FWD and AWD in petrol or diesel options for both the CX3 and CX5. Naturally the AWD and diesel cost more so petrol FWD tend to be more popular unless you have a specific need for AWD or doing lots of highway driving which I believe the diesel engine needs.

Some U.S Mazda owners on this forum have been a bit unhappy with not being offered the cheaper FWD versions so maybe Mazda are doing the same in Europe to boost their bottom line.

From a marketing prospective the Australian new car market is very competitive with a population of just under 24 million with various car brands if Mazda Australia told people you can only buy a CX3 AWD consumers would scoff at the prospect of being slugged an extra $2000 to $3000 when there are so many other SUV crossovers at more affordable prices.

Maybe consumers in the U.S and Europe are more willing to part with more money for cars or just want AWD mainly for winter driving in snow. I really do not know the logic under Mazda marketing and what the dealer orders from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Here you can read a little more about the design overview of the CX-3

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
The day I brought my CX3 home I applied conditioner to the rear seats and folded them down. That was August. The rear seats haven't been up since, except to vacuum the floor. The CX3 is best suited for an empty nester couple. Very comfortable... up front.

Even with only one infant, the CX3 will be challenged transporting the car seat, stroller, diaper bag, playpen, changing table and formula cooler which are all required to drive three miles to grandpas house. Anchorman... How did our parents ever raise our generation to adulthood without all this 'stuff'????

·
Registered
451 Posts
The day I brought my CX3 home I applied conditioner to the rear seats and folded them down. That was August. The rear seats haven't been up since, except to vacuum the floor. The CX3 is best suited for an empty nester couple. Very comfortable... up front.
I envision the same usage for my CX3 - Just one old guy and all his stuff. (guitars, amplifiers, baggage. etc.)

Right now I am even considering removing the rear seats so that there would be one rather large cargo space behind me. I'll have to look into it soon.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Why choose? Get both! I did! 2016 CX-3 AWD Touring for me and 2016 CX-5 FWD Sport for the wife. She wanted AWD, but nobody anywhere close had a CX-5 AWD in the Reflex Blue color she wanted in any trim other than the top-spec GT. She wanted Sport or Touring to keep cost down. Color was more important to her than the mechanical bits, I guess, because she turned town a Meteor Grey AWD Sport in favor of her blue FWD version. The 2.5L petrol engine is a fair amount peppier than the 2.0L in the CX-3, but it's got quite a bit more weight to haul around, too. The CX-5 handles a lot better than the wife's old Subaru Forester, but not as good as the CX-3.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I envision the same usage for my CX3 - Just one old guy and all his stuff. (guitars, amplifiers, baggage. etc.)

Right now I am even considering removing the rear seats so that there would be one rather large cargo space behind me. I'll have to look into it soon.
I was thinking of doing that too stripping the rear seats out and maybe putting some sort of cargo barrier. I wonder if Anchorman has procedure manual for removing the rear seats?

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I can't access my files until next week. The fixing bolts are usually just under the carpet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Personally I don't think I will be playing around with the seats more like an after thought. If I wanted cargo space the CX5 would be the way to go. I am thinking if you remove the seats that may also change how the car performs on the road. It might even introduce a few rattles if you then attempt to put the seats back in. I would imagine in the factory these are installed by robotic tools which are no match to the DIY spanner and wrench.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I looked at both but I just wanted a car to run around town in that both my wife and i could use.

The CX5 was huge inside compared to the CX3 but I did not need that much space. CX3 drove more like a car than CX5 and had better feel.

Wanted AWD as have been very impressed with our Audi S3 and how the AWD changes road feel, grip etc.

I have not been disappointed at all with the CX3.

Certainly not worried about taking the car apart at all, it can all go back together, just need to be carful, take your time and have the correct tools.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Hello Geezer,
Please keep us informed if you experiment with rear seat removal or other changes to improve cargo carrying capacity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can always swap in the 2.5L engine. Only thing needed is to re program the engine. People are doing it on the Miata with MRR engine and already eyeing the new Miata with SkyActiv G. Power can also be increased with a tune for 91 gas.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The Miata 2.5L MZR engine swap is very popular. With exhaust modifications and tune people are getting 200HP and 200 TQ at the wheels. This equates to about 235HP at the crank. The 2500 pound MX5 with the 2.5L can run line a forced induction engine with natural aspirated reliability.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm with @Ryan Mulhull, I'd consider, if either you require a second vehicle (For significant other, or a need for second vehicle regardless), I'd get both. I see the CX3 as more of a larger hot hatch, or something similar. Having a proper sized (Or well close enough to it) SUV as a second is a good sidekick. I'd immediately consider getting my imaginary wife (place holder until the real one walks into my life..) a CX5 (Or even CX9), so that the option is there when a larger vehicle is required. That, or hand over (Not entirely, it's still mine, all mine) the CX3, and get me (or her, if her preference is a truck) a lifted F150 FX4 *Drools* .. off topic now..

·
Registered
451 Posts
You can always swap in the 2.5L engine. Only thing needed is to re program the engine. People are doing it on the Miata with MRR engine and already eyeing the new Miata with SkyActiv G. Power can also be increased with a tune for 91 gas.
Has anyone actually tried this without also swapping the transaxle? I would be a bit nervous about an engine with the torq forces that the Miata engine applies on standard CX3 drive components.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts