Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mach 1 and I got off topic on the AWD vs FWD thread. Ok, it was mostly my doing. Anyway, here is a thread dedicated as to why you would chose one over the other.

Those interested in active sense driving aids will find them available in the 3 only with the S GT package for 29919 (hatch automatic)

You can have them on the FWD CX-3 GT for 27790

To be fair, you do get the i Eloop regenerative braking and active grill shutters in the 3 tech package not available on the CX-3.

Folks often say the CX-3 is overpriced but I don't think those equivalent features are available anywhere else for near the price.

Canadian pricing is different for those who might like to weigh in from that angle.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone here driven both a CX-3 and a 3? I would like to hear from someone who has been able to make a direct comparison.

·
Registered
48 Posts
GT CX-3 only available as AWD in Canada. $28,995, $30,495 with tech, + $1895 shipping $CDN
The models are packaged differently which is often the case USA VS Canada when reading reviews. Europe etc. different again.
Some reviews say tech package includes adaptive cruise control along with smart brake support but I do not see any reference to adaptive cruise in the brochure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Happy to dig out the 2016 U.S. 3 and CX-3 brochures for specific queries.

Incidentally there are no substantial differences between the 2015 and 2016 U.S. Mazda3s.
Some I-Activesense offerings might have changed and there is no longer an appearance package on the GT sport.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Happy to dig out the 2016 U.S. 3 and CX-3 brochures for specific queries.

Incidentally there are no substantial differences between the 2015 and 2016 U.S. Mazda3s.
Some I-Activesense offerings might have changed and there is no longer an appearance package on the GT sport.
Also no SV trim now and Touring model has sun roof standard.

I also notice you get a power drivers seat and dual zone climate control on the 3 i GT (25115) two items needed and not available on any trim for the CX-3.
But black leatherette only. Don't know about that stuff, and I'm definitely not a fan of an all black interior as the only one available on that particular trim level.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The CX-3 is the vehicle which first piqued my interest in the Mazda brand. After reading more about the various Mazda models and visiting a dealer for release date info, I discovered the Mazda3, which seemed to have everything I want/ need in a car. Even though I'm currently more interested in the 3, I feel I should at least give the CX-3 a test drive and look at it a bit more closely before making any final decisions.

Originally most interested in the 2015 Mazda3 itouring automatic hatchback, I am now waiting to check out the 2016 Mazda3 isport with the preferred equipment package. Originally thought HID headlights are available with this model, not so sure anymore.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CX-3 is the vehicle which first piqued my interest in the Mazda brand. After reading more about the various Mazda models and visiting a dealer for release date info, I discovered the Mazda3, which seemed to have everything I want/ need in a car. Even though I'm currently more interested in the 3, I feel I should at least give the CX-3 a test drive and look at it a bit more closely before making any final decisions.

Originally most interested in the 2015 Mazda3 itouring automatic hatchback, I am now waiting to check out the 2016 Mazda3 isport with the preferred equipment package. Seems like there are a few extra features on the newer model; the HID headlights are definitely worth waiting for, as far as I'm concerned.
At 21415(including destination) The 3 iSport hatch with Auto and preferred equipment pack looks like a good deal to me too.

Alloy wheels
Blind spot and rear cross traffic alert monitoring
Auto on headlights
Rain sensing wipers
Front AND rear seat arm rests.
Sand colored cloth interior option.

Kick in 400 more for the plug in navi and you have a tech laden bargain.
Just the road noise thing is all that holds me back.

I would be haunting the salvage yards looking for a stitched steering wheel though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
2016 U.S. Mazda3s are supposed to be arriving at dealers late August/early September.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Test drove Reynolds Mazda's lone CX-3. Odd for mid-August , it was raining in Norman all morning.

I was reluctant to take their pristine loaded Soul Red GT out in the muck, but the salesman , James , incouraged me to do it.

It is beautiful inside and out. quite a bit more so than the 3 to my eyes.

Back seat is as everybody says, real tight. Set for my 5-10 height up front, when I sit in back, I have to hold my knees together to fit them in the seat back scoop or spread them wide to straddle the whole seat. The 3 is much better. On a one/ten scale front/back , for my physique only, I would give the CX-5 a 8/4, HRV 6/4, M3 7/3, CX-3 5/2

Front seat is a real hugger, even though I am relatively narrow. Cushion feels a little high at the front, with too much rake. Of course you sit lower than in the my CX-5, but with gobs of headroom as the cushion can be set close to the floor or jacked up quite a bit, lots of range.

I would give the seat high marks if you are thin and value lateral support
over height. I'm old. I much prefer the wide chair position seats in my CX-5.
I have a preference for the seats in the 3 as well, but not so much difference there. Hands down the seats in CX-3 are nicest to look at as is the whole cabin.
Its my favorite to look at on the outside as well, but that's purely subjective.
Even prettier in person than in photos.

If you don't like small cars, forget about it. In FWD form it is a small hatch, nothing SUV-like here. It has much more in common with a Ford Fiesta than it does to an HRV, The handling is equal to any little sedan I have ever driven, Including my friends GTI. the Mazda 3 or my Focus. That's pretty a good league putting it well up on My CX-5 or an HRV. With its tight turn radius and short overall length, this is the king of tight parking lots.

The engine is not such a delight. Not as strong and a bit louder than it is in the 3. A bit stronger than the straining HRV, but just as noisey. All are ok at cruise.
The 6 speed auto seemed to work better in this than my 5, not lugging the engine at low rpm so much. I like it much better than the CVT in the HRV.

Sport mode as advertised holds shifts to a higher rpm level, as I prefer, but is very reluctant to upshift even when you ease the throttle. Doubt if I would use it much accept to hustle down a tight cornered road, not many around here.

Both wind and road noise seemed less than the 3, similar to HRV, but it was raining and my perceptions might have been skewed.

Right now, a local dealer is offering a 2015 3s GT hatch in soul red with the beautiful wht/blk interior for 25 grand. It has a power seat and dual zone climate control. If offers better interior space and materials, better fuel economy and much more power than Than the 28k (active sense included) CX-3.

I know some need the AWD, but I don't. Forced to make a choice now (thankfully I'm not), I would certainly go with the 3. noise be damned.

But because of that noise, I will wait on something as good as the 3 but without that deal killer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks for the review. a little disappoint that the addition ponies + torque isn't as good as advertised. good thing I'm not in a need to buy situation and can wait until the market is plush with these CUVs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks OKHick. Surprised to hear some of this and I wonder if it was a letdown of sorts. Any word on the noise dampening in the 2016 Mazda 3?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Don't want to discourage anyone from trying it. I think me 15 yrs younger would have found its looks in/out and handling irresistible and the snug seats (which remind me of the Recaros in Focus ST) sporty.
Noise would have been less of an issue too. Gettin too old.

Its small size does not deter me and if they get a motor in it for more speed with less effort, I'll be back. Unless they quiet down the 3 first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also no SV trim now and Touring model has sun roof standard.

I also notice you get a power drivers seat and dual zone climate control on the 3 i GT (25115) two items needed and not available on any trim for the CX-3.
But black leatherette only. Don't know about that stuff, and I'm definitely not a fan of an all black interior as the only one available on that particular trim level.
If you could get the s Touring in leatherette that was NOT all black, and could get it perforated, I would get the sTouring rather than the GT. Kills less cows that way. :( Perforated seating of that type is fairly important in Georgia due to the heat. Perforated stays a little cooler, cools off faster, and doesn't stick to your legs anywhere near like un-perforated seats.

·
Registered
29 Posts
2016 U.S. Mazda3s are supposed to be arriving at dealers late August/early September.
A dealer here in Ga already has one. They got it this morning. But only 1. The rest of the Atl dealers either say in the next week or two as they are already in port, or they have no clue yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't want to discourage anyone from trying it. I think me 15 yrs younger would have found its looks in/out and handling irresistible and the snug seats (which remind me of the Recaros in Focus ST) sporty.
Noise would have been less of an issue too. Gettin too old.

Its small size does not deter me and if they get a motor in it for more speed with less effort, I'll be back. Unless they quiet down the 3 first.
Does anyone know WHERE the noise is coming from? IOW, not what is making it necessarily, but where it leaks into the cabin? Is it through the floor, or elsewhere? I figure if it is coming in through the floor you can get a few sheets of this and put them under your floor mats all around the car:

modDIY Sound Dampening Foam Material (5mm) - modDIY.com

I test drove a few 3s and didn't notice any real loud noise/road noise. Then again my current car is an older Infiniti G35 coupe. That thing is ridiculously loud inside. So much so that talking on the phone is difficult at times, so my perspective might be a bit skewed. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Does anyone know WHERE the noise is coming from? IOW, not what is making it necessarily, but where it leaks into the cabin? Is it through the floor, or elsewhere? I figure if it is coming in through the floor you can get a few sheets of this and put them under your floor mats all around the car:

modDIY Sound Dampening Foam Material (5mm) - modDIY.com

I test drove a few 3s and didn't notice any real loud noise/road noise. Then again my current car is an older Infiniti G35 coupe. That thing is ridiculously loud inside. So much so that talking on the phone is difficult at times, so my perspective might be a bit skewed. ;)
The noise is simply unchecked high frequency vibration in the body, more specifically the cabin.
Lots of factors . Tire tread and profile. Suspension bushing material, metal thickness in critical areas, door and hatch weight, seals and stiffness, even glass thickness.

I looked at reports on the net of owner experiments to try and suppress it, with varying degrees of success. Many said the situation could be improved some, but effort taken was greater than the reward.

My brother had a 350z that had lots of road noise.Same chassis as G35. He stripped out all the carpets aft of the seats and applied that heavy foil faced sticky stuff to all the surfaces underneath. Made not much difference.

He now has a 370z that is almost as noisy, but he thinks trying to do something about is just not worth the effort.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A dealer here in Ga already has one. They got it this morning. But only 1. The rest of the Atl dealers either say in the next week or two as they are already in port, or they have no clue yet.

Whenever they come in, I'll go for a test drive or two just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My brother had a 350z that had lots of road noise.Same chassis as G35. He stripped out all the carpets aft of the seats and applied that heavy foil faced sticky stuff to all the surfaces underneath. Made not much difference.

He now has a 370z that is almost as noisy, but he thinks trying to do something about is just not worth the effort.
Most of the noise seems to be wind noise at hwt speed, at least in my older G. I dont think that there is much you can do about that. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
currently deciding between cx-3 and 3 sedan. a tough one. cx-3 awd capability or 3's 2.5 engine
I drove both the CX-3 and the 3 today.

I found the 3 to be the quieter of the two and have the nicer ride.

The 3 felt much more spacious, especially in the back seat, but also significantly in the front seat.

Really prefer the 3's console and armrest.

I thought the layout and with the dual zone climate control that the 3 felt more luxurious.

we are leaning toward purchasing the 3 instead of the CX-3 (top trim and accessories in both).

with the 2.5L 3 we prefer:
More power/Faster
More Passenger Room (Leg, Hip, Head, and Shoulder room)
More Cargo Room
Better economy
Prefer the 3 Cabin to the CX-3 Cabin
More fun to drive
Nicer ride
Way better center console/cup holder
Really like the hidden usb in center console vs. dash
Rear Armrest
More comfortable seating
Power Driver's Seat

The CX-3 tops the 3 with:
AWD
Better looking (3 still looks good)
Slightly higher driving position and view
Shorter wheel base (same turning radius though)(Will one parallel park better than the other?)
Shorter

For the small price difference, it is a hard choice. At it's basic, it is the faster/more powerful 3 vs the AWD CX-3.

For us, almost everything is in the 3's favor, except it is missing AWD.

We would like to be higher up.

The two really seem like similar values to me.

Tough choice.

2016 3 will be in stock in the next couple of weeks, I think.

The CX5 is interesting, but:
Significantly worse economy
Not nearly as good looking as the 3 or esp. CX-3.
Bigger/Heavier

I'd really like that 2.5L in the CX3 or an AWD 3.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts