Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if any of the Canadian or Australian members of this forum who are already driving the CX-3 could weigh in on its 360 visibility, for the benefit of US members still waiting for the car's introduction.

The only two knocks I've read about on the CX-3 are lack of cargo space (not an issue for me) and potentially poor visibility, especially over the shoulder (behind and to the sides).

Could anyone who drives this car, particularly in heavy traffic on highways, give us the benefit of your real-world experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I do recall seeing a review (can remember which one, seen so many) that reported it won`t be an issue, but that of course depends on how tall you are as that does factor in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wonder if any of the Canadian or Australian members of this forum who are already driving the CX-3 could weigh in on its 360 visibility, for the benefit of US members still waiting for the car's introduction.

The only two knocks I've read about on the CX-3 are lack of cargo space (not an issue for me) and potentially poor visibility, especially over the shoulder (behind and to the sides).

Could anyone who drives this car, particularly in heavy traffic on highways, give us the benefit of your real-world experience?

Thanks!
I had a long term test car and it is not real flash from a side vision perspective. I have ordered ours with the safety pack which includes blind spot monitoring for that reason. If small children are in the back seat (our kids are adults) they may find it a little claustrophobic. Not a big issue though in the end for us.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have some comments on 360 visibility in my (Australian) CX3. There are some limitations, but you quickly adjust to take account of them.
Front visibility. The centre top of windscreen is blocked by the area housing the rain and headlight sensors, with the rear view mirror below that. The pillars on the sides of the windscreen are thick/wide. I need to move my head around when checking for oncoming cars when entering roundabouts and approaching pedestrian crossings - just to make sure all is safe. It does not bother me.
Side visibility. The centre pillar between the doors is also thick/wide, which restricts over-the-shoulder visibility when checking before changing lanes. But I have the blind spot warning system in the side mirrors, which works a treat. It beeps when you put your turn indicator on and have a car in your blind spot - which happens when two lanes are turning right or left at traffic lights.
Rear visibility. Quite good and the reversing camera is very good.
All this depends on your driving position - how far forward or back you need to have your seat and its height.
Final comment - I still enjoy driving the car, in both city/suburban and country areas. It is a great package.

·
Registered
265 Posts
skip blind spot monitoring and get those little convex mirrors, work like a charm every time :D
x2 and all they cost is a few bucks at the local auto parts store. Some even rotate so you can adjust them even better rather than being only static.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My other car is an SUV, a Toyota Prado. Its seat height and driving position is way higher than the CX3. But the CX3 does have a few inches on small cars.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Might be some feedback from journalists covering just this topic, considering the type of folks that will be driving it, that's a hard one to miss out on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some comments on 360 visibility in my (Australian) CX3. There are some limitations, but you quickly adjust to take account of them.
Front visibility. The centre top of windscreen is blocked by the area housing the rain and headlight sensors, with the rear view mirror below that. The pillars on the sides of the windscreen are thick/wide. I need to move my head around when checking for oncoming cars when entering roundabouts and approaching pedestrian crossings - just to make sure all is safe. It does not bother me.
Side visibility. The centre pillar between the doors is also thick/wide, which restricts over-the-shoulder visibility when checking before changing lanes. But I have the blind spot warning system in the side mirrors, which works a treat. It beeps when you put your turn indicator on and have a car in your blind spot - which happens when two lanes are turning right or left at traffic lights.
Rear visibility. Quite good and the reversing camera is very good.
All this depends on your driving position - how far forward or back you need to have your seat and its height.
Final comment - I still enjoy driving the car, in both city/suburban and country areas. It is a great package.
Thank you for the helpful info!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
CX-3 Akari AWD 2019 Today I smashed my rear window against a protruding concrete slab at the ceiling of a carpark, no warning beeps despite this model fitted with the top safety features. The dealer confirmed a lack of visibility in this area. The glass will shatter on the slightest impact so even a falling branch etc could do the damage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A concrete slab does not move a millimeter when hit and creates an impact that breaks the safety glass easily.
A falling branch which is not too heavy does a kind of soft bump that does not break the glass.
The parking sensors on the rear bumper do not protect you against high objects.
I understand your disappointment, but I think you should blame yourself and not the car ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do blame myself for relying too much on the 'safety' features that were supposed to warn when too close to an obstacle of the same colour as the wall.....in a semi-dark car park it was easy to overlook.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts