Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been looking for a small crossover. We thought the HR-V was it, but test drove the day it came out and were underwhelemed. We decided to see what the CX-3 is. From what we can find, we are really excited for the CX-3. It seems to have for us what the HRV is missing.

Our dealer is getting one on this weekend and we have an appt. to see, test drive, and order a new CX-3.

Poking around, it seems that the HRV has some basic features that the CX-3 doesn't. I've read that the CX-3 does not have a tilting/telescoping steering column and that it does not have an available alarm system.

Will the CX-3 steering column adjust, and if so, what adjustments will it have?

Is there an alarm system available on any trim?

Also, is there an armrest and/or center console?

Thanks, Chapin

·
Registered
277 Posts
I saw a video where the tester stated there was no telescopic wheel and he was mistaken. All models come with tilt and telescoping wheel.

Best I have been able to determine, only U.S version not to offer a center arm rest is base Sport model.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw a video where the tester stated there was no telescopic wheel and he was mistaken. All models come with tilt and telescoping wheel.

Best I have been able to determine, only U.S version not to offer a center arm rest is base Sport model.
Thanks.

That's great to know.

It would be nice if Mazda US would get the specs and pricing online. Would be fun to play around with configuring one before I go and do this for real.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Or head to the nearest Mazda dealer. Although it's not up on the website yet they all have the complete CX-3 brochure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One item not in any cx3 is power seats not in any trim, I don't understand that one.
Is it that they expect these will be primariy driven by one driver?

Is it weight savings? That's a lot of weight for a little (for most?) benefit.

·
Registered
872 Posts
One item not in any cx3 is power seats not in any trim, I don't understand that one.
Because Mazda2 parts. No duel zone climate either.

I'm glad it doesn't have power seats. I have them on my x1 and painfully slow to adjust.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We've been looking for a small crossover. We thought the HR-V was it, but test drove the day it came out and were underwhelemed. We decided to see what the CX-3 is. From what we can find, we are really excited for the CX-3. It seems to have for us what the HRV is missing.
New to the forum...not going to say I am in the same boat, but I said in the beginning I was going to wait until the CX 3 came out. I like the HRV...rather a lot in the EX-L trim.
The CX 3 and the Subaru CrossTrek are my 3 likely options. The CrossTrek is getting an interesting refresh and...don't think it will be out until December.
Therefore...it's likely to be the HRV EX-L or the Grand Touring CX 3 for me...just need to drive on first.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I test drove Honda's HRV several times before deciding to buy my CX-3 GT. Here's what I found.

Handling: The CX-3 is much tighter when going through the twisties. The HRV rides like an Accord. By that I mean it's smooth and relaxed but disconnected from the road.

Speed: Best numbers I can find were 0-60 9.7 for HRV AWD vs 8.4 for CX-3. When I need to get on the highway 8.4 doesn't thrill me but 9.7 is white knuckle time when an 18 wheeler is coming up fast. My seat of the pants meter told me the HRV was just too slow.

By the way....on full acceleration the HRV's CVT was pretty noisy.

Storage: This one is a big win for the HRV. If you need storage the HRV maybe the way to go. It has lots more storage. Seats down approximately 64 cu. ft vs about 42. Behind rear seat storage is 24 cu. ft. vs 12.4 or even less with the Bose system. Like Mazda says...CX-3 for young people or empty nesters. If I needed storage it would be the HRV vs a CX-5.

Looks: Personal choice here but IMO it's the CX-3 hands down. EX-L was nice but for about the same money my GT with parchment interior wins.

Technology: CX-3 GT vs HRV EX-L My GT wins big here. HRV only has right side blind spot monitoring which is a camera turned on when signaling. CX monitors both sides passively (in mirror) and beeps when turn signal used. CX-3 has rear cross traffic alert. CX-3 in GT trim also had active display. HRV center display has been criticized in press for being difficult and no buttons..touch only. CX-3 has center console commander. HRV's rear backup camera does have the predictive lines vs. CX-3 fixed lines.

HRV assembled in their new Mexico plant. Google for all the quality control issues Honda has there. CX-3 assembled Japan.

In the end drive both as much as the dealers will let you and then decide. Whatever you get---enjoy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like this revew.
People complaining about the fast that most of CX-3 parts are made in Mexico, however the car is assembled in Hiroshima

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like this revew.
People complaining about the fast that most of CX-3 parts are made in Mexico, however the car is assembled in Hiroshima
My CX-3 windows sticker said 84% of the parts are Japan. The sticker listed the Engine & Transmission as Japan and assembly as Hiroshima. Doesn't seem that too many parts can be Mexican on the current CX-3's.

Maybe some confusion as I believe the Mazda 3 is assembled in Mexico. I don't know the % of parts origin for the 3.

Honda HRV sticker shows engine and transmission as Japan, assembly Celaya Mexico. I don't recall the % of parts countries.

·
Registered
304 Posts
New to the forum...not going to say I am in the same boat, but I said in the beginning I was going to wait until the CX 3 came out. I like the HRV...rather a lot in the EX-L trim.
The CX 3 and the Subaru CrossTrek are my 3 likely options. The CrossTrek is getting an interesting refresh and...don't think it will be out until December.
Therefore...it's likely to be the HRV EX-L or the Grand Touring CX 3 for me...just need to drive on first.
Just curious -- what are the rumors for the 2016 Crosstrek?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I test drove Honda's HRV several times before deciding to buy my CX-3 GT. Here's what I found.

Speed: Best numbers I can find were 0-60 9.7 for HRV AWD vs 8.4 for CX-3. When I need to get on the highway 8.4 doesn't thrill me but 9.7 is white knuckle time when an 18 wheeler is coming up fast. My seat of the pants meter told me the HRV was just too slow.
Correction to what I wrote above: I just received the October 2015 Consumer Reports which states an even slower 0-60 for the AWD Honda HRV at 10.5 seconds.

Consumers did a tiny SUV review. They said the CX-3 wasn't on sale early enough for their class comparison but they did do a First Drive. Their last paragraph on the First Drive states:
"So far, the CX-3 feels like the most finished, polished product in this class-one that's desirable and a great value. Stay tuned for our full test results."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just curious -- what are the rumors for the 2016 Crosstrek?
I did not save the link. Try googling 2016 CrossTrek.
It was just little things as I recall...it should be quieter...better center console...but I remember thinking after I had actually driven a Crosstrek that those very items were what needed to be addressed.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
By the way....on full acceleration the HRV's CVT was pretty noisy.
And the CX-3 was not??

Technology: CX-3 GT vs HRV EX-L My GT wins big here.
Agreed...but I'm almost willing to put that actual camera view with the right side camera over much of it....insanely practical on the interstate vs little images appearing in the corner of the side mirrors. Cross traffic though is nice backing out of your space in parking lots when everyone around you have a giant truck/SUV. Judicious parking though can make up for that rather a lot. Forward collision....well, I'd LOVE for everyone else to have that as people do not pay attention sometimes and I don't want to get rear ended.

Handling: The CX-3 is much tighter when going through the twisties. The HRV rides like an Accord. By that I mean it's smooth and relaxed but disconnected from the road.
Agreed...but that 'Accord like' handling sure is nice on straightaways and the interstate, where I drive mostly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts