Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

CX-3 Recall in US

12K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Vipre77 
#1 ·
I noticed that there was a recall posted on nhtsa for the CX-3 when they updated the crash test ratings. Did any of you guys get a notice from Mazda? My car falls within the build range and I have not been notified. I will probably just check the torque myself... easy enough to do and it avoids incompetent dealers.

Attachments

#8 ·
I performed this recall on my own CX3 and found that my driver side lower bolt (affected nut/bolt from recall) was no where near tight (about 1/4 un-threaded). This is at about 5900 miles on it. This recall is currently a pending recall on our employee accounts which means they will be rolling out recall notices soon and soon a stop sale on affected models. Also the parts required for this recall is only on a VIN specific order basis meaning the bolts/nuts have to be ordered when it is confirmed the inspection, failed like mine. So many people would be put into rentals till this gets sorted out.

#10 ·
Unfortunately this is common to happen with most recalls. When being issued they are based on VIN order and send these out in batches. Some people for example with the takata air bag recall many are still receiving their recall notice now, months after the announcement. There is a sort of "order" so recall notices and availability of parts are just rolling out slowly and not in mass notices. Also the current status of the recall according to my work account is that it is labeled as a "SOON TO BE RELEASED" recall so that may explain why most people still have no information or current notices about this.

#11 ·
Looks like I'm going to need to drop my car off this weekend or early next week to get the infotainment module replaced to correct an infinite boot loop problem that they couldn't correct with a reflash. Should I mention this pending recall while I'm in there to have them check it even if I haven't seen the notice on it yet? Or do I need to wait until I officially have been notified? This is something that is potentially disastrous if it falls apart at highway speed, so I would say that it shouldn't be put off just because I haven't received a paper about it in the mail.

#14 ·
An update...
So the service tech said that his system didn't show that my car is affected by any recall. I showed him the recall document that I printed out. He verified that my VIN is in the range of affected vehicles, but since it's not appearing in their "Oasis" system, he wasn't authorized to act on the recall. Guess I'll have to wait until I get the official letter in the mail.

#17 · (Edited)
This. As I have stated before, my experience with Mazda dealer service has been worse than awful. On my speed6, it took my dealer over 1 month to replace a smokey turbo. They first couldn't reproduce the problem. Then they claimed abuse (car had 8000 miles) due to tire ware. After they finally approved the work, it took them 3 weeks to replace a turbo. And after I got my car back, there was an 8 inch deep scratch on my fender. They claimed it was there. Luckily due to the awful service previously (airbag clockspring), I took pictures of the car the day I dropped it off. They approved the fender repair and I was again out of a car for a week. When I FINALLY got it back, I could hear a clunking coming from the engine. They didn't tighten the motor mounts. I called and asked them for torque specs, and while waiting I could hear the techs talking about me and how I was probably modding the car and that they should have voided my warranty. This was the last straw. I took the car to a different mazda dealer, they replaced the motor mount and bolts. I also wrote a very long letter to MNAO about my experience and they were apologetic (from what I remember they covered a month of the car payment). After my experience with Mazda service/dealers, I avoid them like the plague.

#18 ·
Thank you for posting all this! I got mine in January and we are about to take it on a very twisty and turning west Texas trip that could have been very bad if this failed. My husband went out and visually inspected the area under recall since my vin fell within the range and all looks good. I will wait for the recall and have them go over it with a fine tooth comb, but I am thankful we found out about this in time to check before this trip even though we were good.

#21 ·
Off topic but My last car was a Saturn ion redline which is supercharged and was a pocket rocket with 200 HP and they had a redline forum where I learned a lot of things.
I was having a little trouble with it and told the service manager about the trouble with it he stated that was normal I said no it isn't.
The service manager and myself went back and forth on the trouble.
A tech heard us going around and around and he walked up to the service manager and stated that I knew more about this car than the service manager would ever know and that there was a TSB on the problem I was describing,it was promptly fixed after that and I never had anymore trouble from the service manager.

#26 ·
I took my wife's CX in today with the paperwork on the recall. Our car did not show as needing a recall, so service writer got the service manager (a friend of mine). He called Mazda and was told that our car did NOT need the recall. Mazda told him that a lot of the cars were caught and fixed at port before shipping to the dealer. Sounds reasonable. Anyway we shall see; but I already got under and checked the bolts and all is good (didn't tell them that).

#27 · (Edited)
If the work was done already, there should be a sticker somewhere that indicates the recall number and possibly the date the work was done. They usually put the stickers in one of three places: On the firewall in the engine bay, underside of the hood, or inside driver's door jamb.

Edit: Also, if the procedure was followed as specified, there should be paint marks on the bolts. The paint marks are a visual check to see if the bolted joint turns at all when proper torque is applied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.