Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my low fuel warning light illuminated for the first time (bottom right hand corner in attached picture) when I had a range just under 50km and 2 bars left on the gauge. I was a bit worried for awhile since I had travelled over 700km on one tank of unleaded fuel without it coming on. Now I am wondering how low I can drive the CX3 before running out of gas. The owner's manual states when the fuel light illuminates there will be 9 litres of gas so in theory you should be able to drive well over 100km with this light on assuming 6.1 litres per 100km but my range is saying I only have 44km left. Could I keep drive when the number passes beyond 0?

Has anybody else tested the limits of the CX3 fuel gauge past the zero value on the range indicator? I am so nervous about running out I am carring a can of gas in my car at the moment just in case and with the iStop feature how would you know it has run out if you are waiting at the traffic lights and then the car does not start.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
just to say i was able to push my cx 3 about 15 miles on 0 bars b4 i was really thinking i was empty and filled up at the pump for 11.5 gallons (11.9 USgal tank). this will vary of course but i do not recommend to ever run ur tank that low. U run the risk of sucking up sediment and eventually gunk as time goes on and clog the fuel filter and possibly injectors down the road which is a somewhat costly repair. I would mentioned also if it ever gets really cold in Australia (20 degrees F) runnng the tank that low will introduce moisture buildup and will slowly cause corrosion in the fuel system. im not very familiar with how low temps get there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is good to know you can still drive the CX3 on 0 bars which means you really need to get to a fuel station without too much delay possibly within 20 minutes. 11.9 gallons would mean you are driving the AWD version I assume with the FWD with slightly bigger tank capacity. There are almost no place in Australia that will experience extreme cold of 20 degree Fahrenheit for prolonged periods but I can see what you mean about not draining the tank dry and its impact on the fuel system.

It is interesting to read the owners manual says there can be some incosistances between the expected range and fuel remaining when driving the car for the first time or after a reset of the fuel consumption values which could make the available range less or more depending if you were driving on the highway or city areas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On an 11.9 gal tank, mine hits 0 bars and 0 "range" at 10 gallons consumed. That leaves 50-60 miles range left in the tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I decided to fill up my CX3 today with only 1 bar and 15km left on the range indicator and it drank 44 liters (11.6 gallons) of gas. My FWD has a 48 Liters (12.7 gallons) tank. So I am guessing I may have had another 40km or so maybe less with city driving.

I am thinking the fuel capacity might be a little more than Mazda official figures as when the gas pump clicked to tell me I had a full tank, I pulled the nozzle out and slowly filled the neck pipe of the tank for another 2 litres or half a gallon in U.S measurements.

Another way to determine if you are very close to empty is if a "Check Engine Light" illuminates in the instrument panel along with a low fuel warning light according to the owners manual. Has anyone seen the Check Engine Light illuminate when driving on a near empty tank? I am not really a risk taker so unless I am in area where I don't mind running out of fuel I don't think I will be testing the limits of that warning feature anytime soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an interesting experience with this driving down to Toronto the day after we picked up our CX-3. We took a wrong turn during our road trip, middle of the night, and in what looked like a suburb, with the fuel light on and about 14kms of range left.

We eventually found our way around and to a gas station, where we filled up with 5kms left...and by "filled up," I mean we put in about $40 of gas, which going by the 48 litres of capacity, and the $1ish price per litre of gas in Ontario, meant we still had about 8 litres left to drive on.

It's been a struggle reassuring my gf that she doesn't have to worry when the light comes on and she has limited range left. My only concern is that the car doesn't "learn" based on your mileage and driving habits, and keeps going low when there's well over 50kms or more left in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The light is fixed and will always come on at the same time (on level ground) but the miles to empty will vary depending on the driving style at the time. You need to note the mileage at the time the light comes on and after say three times, you can be confident about how much is left. You can then establish a reasonable “miles to empty”.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bottom line,on all our cars,you fill upnat a quarter left,never gobdo low that a light goes on,its bad for fuel pumps

·
Registered
193 Posts
My experience has been... There is approximately 10 percent of the listed gas tank capacity remaining when the low fuel indicator light illuminates. However, one should not try to see how low can I go. If you run the fuel tank almost or fully dry, then I believe the fuel system can ingest potentially harmful products. It is best to fill the tank before reaching or at the low fuel indicator light.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There's no harm in running your fuel tank low. Fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel moving through the internals of the pump. Further, the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the tank, which means whatever crud or debris might be in the tank will get picked up regardless of fuel level. Besides, that's what the fuel filter and other filter elements/screens are for.

Running your tank dry is another matter.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The diesels are interesting. As there is no practical way of venting the system, it is not possible to completely run out of fuel. It will first go into limp mode and then eventually stop with a small amount of diesel still in the tank.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ive always been pretty hard on things like these, never really letting it go below 1/4 mark, so I cant say just how much more you can push. What I do understand is, is that the KM (Mi) left before tank "runs empty" (Lets say 50 km) is based on how you have been driving for that run. So if you turned off your vehicle, and say next day you got in, and drove it like it was in eco mode, the number that was originally 50 km would actually increase, because you are gaining more range to your newly adopted driving style. I say this because Ive witnessed it increase rather than decrease if I takes things easier, or say get on the highway or something.

Im also under the impression that 0 range is safe zone, rather than a end zone, like that there is still some in the tank once you reach 0. Kinda like "You should fill up before 0, but don't worry, there is still another "insert amount" of litres or whatever left", you know what I mean?

Of course, I could be totally seeing things the wrong way, but from my understanding, the gibberish above is all correct.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive always been pretty hard on things like these, never really letting it go below 1/4 mark, so I cant say just how much more you can push. What I do understand is, is that the KM (Mi) left before tank "runs empty" (Lets say 50 km) is based on how you have been driving for that run. So if you turned off your vehicle, and say next day you got in, and drove it like it was in eco mode, the number that was originally 50 km would actually increase, because you are gaining more range to your newly adopted driving style. I say this because Ive witnessed it increase rather than decrease if I takes things easier, or say get on the highway or something.

Im also under the impression that 0 range is safe zone, rather than a end zone, like that there is still some in the tank once you reach 0. Kinda like "You should fill up before 0, but don't worry, there is still another "insert amount" of litres or whatever left", you know what I mean?

Of course, I could be totally seeing things the wrong way, but from my understanding, the gibberish above is all correct.

The owners manual recommends refueling at 1/4 mark but it does not give any reasons such as poor engine performance or fuel pump deterioration if you drive with below 1/4. The fuel pump/filter does get replaced at regular intervals if you look in the owners manual so in my opinion I don't think it is bad for the CX3 unleaded version to run low on fuel.

Now as Anchorman was saying about Diesel engines that can be a real problem if you run empty as it is not as simple as refueling with diesel and driving of. It is most likely you will need a tow truck and mechanic to get the diesel flowing in the right areas of the system not an easy task.

I wonder if the Check Engine light along with the fuel warning light illuminate together if there is danger to the fuel pump at critical fuel levels. Personally I can't see myself running that low to find out. For me filling up just before the range indicator hits 0 is good enough but I can't see the point filing up at 1/4 as you are missing out in hundreds of km or miles of range.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I think the 1/4 tank warning is just precautionary - its much easier than running out as a few will inevitably do. The gasoline system is far more straight forward. There is a fuel immersed pump to prime it up if the fuel runs out.....

The low fuel alarm here refers ONLY to diesel models.

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
OK, the CX-3's low fuel warning and range to empty calculations are clearly broken, never have I owned a car where it was so off. Yesterday the low fuel light came on and the range indicated 22 miles left. So I pulled into the nearest gas station and filled up, approximately 9.1 gallons, leaving 2.8 gallons of gas in the tank. I was driving very normally, not aggressively, not stop and go, so I don't believe the range and low fuel indicator depends on your current driving conditions. So based on the low estimate of 27 miles per gallon, I should've had enough fuel for 75 miles, yet the range tells me 22. This is ridiculous and unacceptable, and quite honestly pisses me off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts