Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure everyone's seen it by now, but C&D's Top Ten SUV/CUV list is out. The CX-5 loses to the new CR-V and the CX-3 loses out to the Kia Soul because of a turbo. The big argument in the article is whether or not the Soul is even a subcompact SUV because it does not offer AWD/4WD and that they only picked it because Kia shoved a turbo in it. The sad part about that is that even with 50 more horsepower, the Soul is only a tweak faster than the CX-3. Article can be found here:

2017 10Best Trucks and SUVs: The Best in Every Segment ? Feature ? Car and Driver

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Good for the Soul. I'm sure it's a very nice automobile.

Keep in mind it's just an opinion and I've rarely agreed with C&D/R&T/Motortrend.
Other people's subjective determinations aren't terribly important to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree the Soul looks to be a mutant from God knows where. With that squared off back end it draws attention, but for the wrong reason ("Boy, that's hideous!") Once inside, everything is pretty good except for some intrusive pillars that block some of the sight lines. They seem to be nice to drive, but not nearly as nice as the Mazda.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Soul is a good car. For me, when i was buying my car it was between soul and cx3. I really liked the soul and its cheaper then cx3. But it was something special with the cx3.
I do not regret for a second that i choose cx3 before soul. But i completely understand that soul won that "test" in the Magazine. It is a nice car.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
I like ugly cars like the Soul and the Juke (though the Mitsubishi Lancer SportBack and nearly identically shaped 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback are too ugly for redemption). At least they are bold and interesting.

That said, I like pretty cars better.

Honestly, I find it easy to understand why C&D weighted the turbo so heavily. I made the jump from a 2009 Infiniti G37x with 330 HP and 270 tq and I really, REALLY miss it. The teenager in me thinks that engine should be the base engine in every car. Power and torque are intoxicating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do have both and honestly I really love my "2013 Soul" is just that I needed a little faster vehicle and that is how I end up buying the CX3 three weeks ago only to discover that the new 2017 is even more powerful that the earlier version...too bad, but no regrets I do also like my new CX3

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like ugly cars like the Soul and the Juke (though the Mitsubishi Lancer SportBack and nearly identically shaped 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback are too ugly for redemption). At least they are bold and interesting.

That said, I like pretty cars better.

Honestly, I find it easy to understand why C&D weighted the turbo so heavily. I made the jump from a 2009 Infiniti G37x with 330 HP and 270 tq and I really, REALLY miss it. The teenager in me thinks that engine should be the base engine in every car. Power and torque are intoxicating.
A friend of mine just gave the opinion that people who loved the AMC Gremlin are wild about the Soul.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My wife fell in love with the CX-3 due to looks, price and prior experience with Mazda. She likes the Soul but did not even consider it.

Car buying is largely subjective... I bought a Nissan Frontier SL because I love it and it had everything I needed at a good price; even though all the magazines were complaining it is outdated compared to the Colorado/Canyon twins and the new Tacoma. My opinion is that the "bugs have been worked out". And the price is very good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts