Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting the comments about not seeing many cx3's around. I became interested in them since early 2015. Then in March 2015 they were released here in Australia. For the next year I only saw about 6, of the six, four were soul red (I think it was always the same one...never took note of the rego number). Since picking up mine on the 22nd April I've still not seen many about. The motoring press here keeps reporting excellent sales.....just must not be in my area.

·
Registered
136 Posts
They're pretty noticeable in Sydney. Not common, or over popular but I would say I see at least one a day on my 30 minute walk to or from work.

Appears that the Maxx is the weapon of choice too, which makes sense as it is probably the best value option. Also noticed the drivers are around my age bracket (27).

·
Registered
6 Posts
They're pretty noticeable in Sydney. Not common, or over popular but I would say I see at least one a day on my 30 minute walk to or from work.

Appears that the Maxx is the weapon of choice too, which makes sense as it is probably the best value option. Also noticed the drivers are around my age bracket (27).
I can totally agree with this. I have a couple of cx3 owners along my street around the same age bracket. Late 20 s

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Mexico you rarely see them around.

I asked my dealer about sales and he said they're doing ok but that they don't actively promote the car, they don't have a demo, they don't provide test drives and they only sell them on order when a customer proactively asks for it and wants to buy it.

Seems kind of weird to me but then again being priced close to the 3, 6 and CX5 I guess they don't want to cannibalize their top sellers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In Mexico you rarely see them around.

I asked my dealer about sales and he said they're doing ok but that they don't actively promote the car, they don't have a demo, they don't provide test drives and they only sell them on order when a customer proactively asks for it and wants to buy it.

Seems kind of weird to me but then again being priced close to the 3, 6 and CX5 I guess they don't want to cannibalize their top sellers.
And here you have the answer. I have noticed that Hyundai and Chrysler/Fiat are the two most aggressive companies to advertise their product with the rest trailing behind. Mazda seems to trail behind farther than most. I would guess here in Canada, if the CX3 had not been named car of the year this year the sales would be nothing short of disastrous for the company. They seem to have one TV commercial that keeps getting replayed ad nauseam and hasn't been changed since last Fall! The Mazda product line is just not getting public exposure. And they don't have any product incentives to make up for it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I still think the size of the CX-3 makes it quite niche of a product and as such, will never see great volume like the Mazda 3 Hatch nor CX-5

Sitting between the aforementioned vehicles, it's kind of stuck in a limbo. Most family with kids would probably opt for a CX-5, or younger demographics still love the Mazda 3 Sport.

All of us fall into a really a new segment in the industry that finds balance in the CUV

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think we need to start also saying Mazda Canada, Mazda US, Mazda Australia ect ;)

Mazda Australia recently became our number 2 car brand and the CX-3 made it into the top ten models by sales volume last month. They are predicting the CX-3 to become the brands second biggest seller after the 3. They are pretty aggressive with marketing with a good mix of TV adds, radio adds, sports sponsorship and probably one of the most active car brands I have seen on social media/online blogger/celebrity sponsors/'instafamous' style marketing in the country.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In France, I've only seen a few CX-3, which can probably be counted on one hand... and this is the best sale of mazda !
not enough sales, long delivery time (still not have mine since february), not enough dealers ... this is not australia !

·
Registered
327 Posts
I told my dealer that I'd be surprised if the CX-3 sells well. It hits a sweet spot for what I was looking for, but with the way pricing is, buyers have a lot of options around the same price range and not much to really distinguish the CX-3 from Mazda's other models. It's small for the sake of being small and hitting that new compact CUV market, and that's okay if you want small. But the 3 and CX-5 do almost everything else better at or around the same price. CX-3 is smaller, less powerful, and less fuel efficient than both the 3 and CX-5. My wife gets noticeably better fuel econ than I do in her CX-5 and her car is much bigger and much heavier, but still feels faster with it's bigger engine. The more powerful engine means she doesn't have to stomp on the gas as much to get it moving like I do in my car.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I told my dealer that I'd be surprised if the CX-3 sells well. It hits a sweet spot for what I was looking for, but with the way pricing is, buyers have a lot of options around the same price range and not much to really distinguish the CX-3 from Mazda's other models. It's small for the sake of being small and hitting that new compact CUV market, and that's okay if you want small. But the 3 and CX-5 do almost everything else better at or around the same price. CX-3 is smaller, less powerful, and less fuel efficient than both the 3 and CX-5. My wife gets noticeably better fuel econ than I do in her CX-5 and her car is much bigger and much heavier, but still feels faster with it's bigger engine. The more powerful engine means she doesn't have to stomp on the gas as much to get it moving like I do in my car.
I’d like to comment on the “Sweet Spot” mentioned. The CX-3 hits this spot for me in that it’s shorter than the 3 or CX-5. Two cars ago I owned a Mazda 323. It was a relatively small car that had 4 doors, a tail gate (read hatch) and more than adequate room in the front AND back. It’s only let down was its 1.5ltr engine. It averaged around 34mpg (divide by 1.2 to give US mpg).

Next came a Mazda Astina with a 1.8ltr engine (not sure what this was called in other countries). This gave 37mpg (this increased to around 39mpg with low rolling resistance tyres {tires}. (Bridgestone Ecopia)

Now the CX-3 comes with a 2lt engine giving around 42mpg (It's only done around 1800km)

I liked the 323 because its length was relatively short. The Astina was a bit longer, I accepted that to get the 1.8ltr. Now the CX-3 is longer again by 25mm. Now I can put up with that to get a 2ltr engine. If I’d opted for the Mazda 3 its length is substantially longer.

Possibly if the Mazda 2 had come with a 2ltr engine I may have considered that. Now that I’ve had the CX-3 for a few weeks I’m glad the 2 wasn’t an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts