Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

· Registered
256 Posts
One more irritation I keep having - the calibration of the day/night sensor for the dash lighting and headlights seems way off - it starts thinking it is night and dimming the display and dash lights when it is about 2:30 PM and the first cloud crosses the sky - I often find myself having to manually increase the brightness to max when this happens.
You can change the setting for when the headlights come on.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
I had to fiddle with the auto-headlight sensitivity for a week to find the right balance of turning on too early or too late.

· Premium Member
549 Posts
Did you actually test drive one, or even look at one, before buying???
I doubt he/she actually owns one. If he/she does, it was probably given to them.

That or Slev is just a very unsuccessful troll.

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'd love the 2.5 gasoline engine and a sunroof but our marketing department makes that decision for us too. What makes these luvvies and darlings so detached from reality is beyond me but most manufacturers have them. The factory in Japan isn't bothered. They'll configure any car to any spec if it will sell.

They will take the manual box away from us soon but that is to do with emissions.

· Registered
122 Posts
I'd love the 2.5 gasoline engine and a sunroof but our marketing department makes that decision for us too. What makes these luvvies and darlings so detached from reality is beyond me but most manufacturers have them. The factory in Japan isn't bothered. They'll configure any car to any spec if it will sell.

They will take the manual box away from us soon but that is to do with emissions.
Certainly don't want an automatic, love the manual gearbox. Wouldn't mind a sunroof and of course auto locking doors

· Registered
41 Posts
Certainly don't want an automatic, love the manual gearbox. Wouldn't mind a sunroof and of course auto locking doors
I initially considered buying a CX-3 when they were first released, but discovered there would be no manual offered in Canada. There were hints that there might be a manual for the 2017 model year, so I put off my purchase for a year. They did the same thing here with the new Mazda 3... originally the new model was auto only, and the manual was offered in the second year.

Alas there was no manual for 2017. I considered a Mazda 3 GT 2.5 with a manual, but in the end opted for the CX-3 GT. Mazda's automatic tranny spends most of its time locked up (80% compared to the usual 50%) so at least it feels more connected and sporty than other automatics I've driven. I'd still buy a manual in a heartbeat if it was offered, but have no regrets buying a CX-3 auto.

P.S. I wrote to Mazda Canada suggesting a manual be offered here, and they assured me my suggestion has been noted and forwarded to the powers that be. I suggest everyone wanting a manual contact their country's Mazda headquarters and do the same. I'd sure hate to see the manual die out for good.

· Registered
41 Posts
It seems the ideal car for Americans is an all wheel drive 600hp cupholder.....
You said AN all wheel drive cupholder... you mean just a single 600hp cupholder? Don't you need multiple cup holders? Of course that would require even more horsepower. How about a supercharged twin-turbo V8 DUAL cupholder!

Joking aside, I don't understand either why some people think the CX-3 needs more power. Apparently it is already faster AND has better fuel economy than anything else in the subcompact SUV class (at least in the NA market). Also, I live in British Columbia near mountain highways with sustained grades of up to 8.5% and have no issues whosoever passing people on those grades.

The problem is that the average person seems to think that you can just bolt a turbo on or shove the 2.5 engine in there and call it a day. Sounds simple, but it isn't. I read a very interesting interview with the program manager for the Miata (another car that many people think needs more power). He explained that power can't exist in a vacuum. In other words, adding power has consequences for every other component in the car. For example, adding more power means you must balance that with better brakes. It means more stress on drive components like the transmission, clutch pressure plate, bearings, U-joints, not to mention the chassis itself. All these things are engineered together in harmony. If you add more power you MUST design all other components accordingly. Beefing up those components means more weight, so you really haven't gained as much as you think. And how do you combat the added weight? Add more power! And so goes the endless cycle of chasing horsepower. You end up where many other cars are today... 5000 pound monstrosities that have lost all the great handling, nimbleness, and road feel that light weight offers. And to be clear, no amount of suspension tweaking or better shocks or anti-roll bars can make up for added weight. When it comes to handling, weight is ALWAYS the enemy.

So personally, I am happy there is a car company like Mazda who thinks differently and doesn't get caught up in the "more is better" philosophy of automotive design. I buy Mazdas primarily because they drive better than anything else on the road (that I can afford!). I will happily accept modest horsepower levels, fewer accessories and options (even cupholders!) for a car I love to drive. But that's just me.

P.S. My Miata came from the factory with NO cupholders whatsoever... and damn it I'm proud of it!

Reactions: drs88

· Registered
44 Posts
There aren't many things I would change - I love my CX-3. I did enough research to recognize the lack of storage/console/arm rest/etc. so I can't really complain about those things. But here are some options I'd like to see (In Canada)

- Manual Transmission Option
- Leather Seat Option (the leatherette is already starting to sag a bit on the driver side; owned the car for 12 months.. Not too pleased that the leatherette is starting to look loose already)
- Auto Seats; but really not a big deal
- Better windshield washer sprayers. There is very little oomph to mine which means I use way more to clean the windows
- Higher clearance in the front. Granted i've taken the little car through some thick snow and pot-holed roads and it managed but i'd love even just a bit more lift
- Don't care about the arm rest; haven't missed it at all
- Ability to use the touch screen while driving. I understand why it is how it is but it would be nice for the passenger to be able to look up directions
- Don't need the CD player. Maybe put a cubby there instead?

· Registered
256 Posts
The car needs a real coolant temperature gauge ... other gauges would be nice too, but the coolant temperature indicator as blue when cold and red when it is about to overheat doesn't cut it.
To be fair, the manual says it will flash when temp. gets too high and fully light up when overheating. So it'll warn You first and I've only had one car where the temp. gauge actually moved above normal and that was 20 years ago. Every car I've had since has been able to hold the temp. at normal level, even in summertime (ok, we only get up to 30C in summer but still).
It would be nice to have an app on the infotainment which could show oil temp., oil pressure and coolant temp. and perhaps other things, but it's not needed as such.

· Registered
893 Posts
There aren't many things I would change - I love my CX-3. I did enough research to recognize the lack of storage/console/arm rest/etc. so I can't really complain about those things. But here are some options I'd like to see (In Canada)

- Leather Seat Option (the leatherette is already starting to sag a bit on the driver side; owned the car for 12 months.. Not too pleased that the leatherette is starting to look loose already)
- Better windshield washer sprayers. There is very little oomph to mine which means I use way more to clean the windows
- Higher clearance in the front. Granted i've taken the little car through some thick snow and pot-holed roads and it managed but i'd love even just a bit more lift
- Ability to use the touch screen while driving. I understand why it is how it is but it would be nice for the passenger to be able to look up directions
You don't have real leather up in Canada? The GT here has leather while the Touring has leatherette.

· Registered
41 Posts
You don't have real leather up in Canada? The GT here has leather while the Touring has leatherette.
For the Canadian market:
GX - Black cloth only
GS - Black cloth or black leatherette
GT - Black leather or white leather

· Registered
41 Posts

There's been lots of grumbling about the "missing" armrest, but I totally agree with you. I was initially concerned about the lack of an armrest and had fully intended on buying the optional one when I first bought the car. The salesman actually talked me out of it (strange but true!!). He said just about every one of his CX-3 customers was concerned about it initially, but after driving the car realized they never missed it. He was right. It doesn't even cross my mind that there isn't one. I started paying attention when I drive my other vehicles, and it turns out I don't actually rest my arm in other vehicles either, even though I thought I did.

Strange about the windshield washers, I haven't noticed that with mine. I wonder if you have a small blockage or maybe a bad washer pump? Maybe you could compare yours to demo at your local dealership.

Reactions: st3v3cx-3

· Registered
44 Posts
There's been lots of grumbling about the "missing" armrest, but I totally agree with you. I was initially concerned about the lack of an armrest and had fully intended on buying the optional one when I first bought the car. The salesman actually talked me out of it (strange but true!!). He said just about every one of his CX-3 customers was concerned about it initially, but after driving the car realized they never missed it. He was right. It doesn't even cross my mind that there isn't one. I started paying attention when I drive my other vehicles, and it turns out I don't actually rest my arm in other vehicles either, even though I thought I did.

Strange about the windshield washers, I haven't noticed that with mine. I wonder if you have a small blockage or maybe a bad washer pump? Maybe you could compare yours to demo at your local dealership.
I'll check about the washer.. I had heard from someone that it was set up like this to be more 'eco-friendly' or something by using less fluid. I end up using more since it only sprays like half the windshield. It's done it since day 1 of owning the car and it's been one of those irritating things but not big enough a deal to actually do anything about it. I'll bring it up next time it gets serviced

· Premium Member
549 Posts
I've noticed mine spray very strongly but are aimed too low.

I plan on futzing with them in the next couple of weeks (once I finish moving to a place with a private garage!).

41 - 60 of 74 Posts