Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
I agree with nearly all of your picks remorej (unsure of a few)

The top of my list
- STANDARD ARM REST (with storage)
- some more front seat storage space
- standard roof rails
- folding electronic side mirrors (I've become very aware of late just how big those buggers are, and vulnerable to being knocked).

I though anchorman made a good point about your location (do you agree)?

· Registered
136 Posts
I agree with nearly all of your picks remorej (unsure of a few)

The top of my list
- STANDARD ARM REST (with storage)
- some more front seat storage space
- standard roof rails
- folding electronic side mirrors (I've become very aware of late just how big those buggers are, and vulnerable to being knocked).

I though anchorman made a good point about your location (do you agree)?
I'll second all of those for Mazda Oz - as long as I can still put my latte under the arm rest lol

Also, paddle shifters for the auto and since you are already sending the AWD manual to the UK with our identical emission standards ..... allow that as a no cost factory option order like BMW do with almost all their cars in Australia. Scabs don't buy manuals anymore, people who like driving do.

· Registered
7 Posts
I've had mine for a year of city commuting now, so here's my wish list:
1.) Replace handbrake with electric parking brake to free up more room for usable central cup holders that get pushed forward.
2.) Replace embarrassingly cheap afterthought center armrest with more substantial one that has actual storage underneath.
3.) Replace cheap plastic dash-top area with better-quality material similar to that in the 3.
4.) Auto up/down for all 4 windows.
5.) Electric driver & passenger seats. Driver seat memory function (how on earth does your top range model not offer this?)
6.) External audio controls somewhere in that central padded deadspace.
7.) Option for full leather seats (although I like the alcantara-ish stuff).
8.) LED lights above rear license plate if I have the LED package.
9.) A glove box lid that actually fits well (I'm on my 2nd one so far).

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've had mine for a year of city commuting now, so here's my wish list:
1.) Replace handbrake with electric parking brake to free up more room for usable central cup holders that get pushed forward.
2.) Replace embarrassingly cheap afterthought center armrest with more substantial one that has actual storage underneath.
3.) Replace cheap plastic dash-top area with better-quality material similar to that in the 3.
4.) Auto up/down for all 4 windows.
5.) Electric driver & passenger seats. Driver seat memory function (how on earth does your top range model not offer this?)
6.) External audio controls somewhere in that central padded deadspace.
7.) Option for full leather seats (although I like the alcantara-ish stuff).
8.) LED lights above rear license plate if I have the LED package.
9.) A glove box lid that actually fits well (I'm on my 2nd one so far).
And as some of these issues involve Mazda US, then they too will hopefully accept this feedback information.

· Registered
451 Posts
You know I really love this Alcantara type stuff. It helps keep my butt from sliding around as it had a tendency to do in my previous Forester. While they are at it, I would love it if they covered the armrest in that same material and also the steering wheel. Those are the areas that make sense to cover with a suede type fabric like Alcantara.

Reactions: drs88

· Registered
136 Posts
You know I really love this Alcantara type stuff. It helps keep my butt from sliding around as it had a tendency to do in my previous Forester. While they are at it, I would love it if they covered the armrest in that same material and also the steering wheel. Those are the areas that make sense to cover with a suede type fabric like Alcantara.
Agreed. You have more chances of the manufacturers developing better quality synthetics than using actual leather products. Even most fashion brands are moving this way too including some premium brands. The leather industry is fairly barbaric and expanded well beyond the myth that it is just a byproduct of meat production which most people tend to believe.

· Registered
16 Posts
Scrap the whole car. I can't find a redeeming feature.

- Less storage than a 3 hatch
- More weight than a 3 hatch
- Giant side mirrors that aren't even electric folding
- Arm rest that is useless
- No storage anywhere, even the glovebox is a joke
- Ground clearance is the same as a 3 hatch
- Engine is the same as a 3 hatch, but the car is heavier
- MPG with AWD is, adequate
- Terrible freeway speed, once you hit 70 and need to pass anything you can tell the engine is tapped out
- Rear visibility is awful
- Seats are barely comfortable

Only positive is how it looks...

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

- Terrible freeway speed, once you hit 70 and need to pass anything you can tell the engine is tapped out

Something tells me you skipped the reading motor magazines part. skipped the nosey in the showroom part, skipped the test drive part (quite useful), skipped the joining a forum and and went straight to having it sat on your drive. Its a shame you are not getting on with it but I can’t help thinking you should have noticed at least some of these things before you committed to it.

· Registered
256 Posts

Looking at the specs (at least here in Europe) You're wrong about the weight.
The CX-3 is lighter than the 3.
My CX-3 2.0 auto has a kerb weight of 1195 kg (which I think is quite light for that size vehicle).
The 3 2.0 Auto has a kerb weight of 1315 kg.
Even the CX-3 2.0 AWD auto is lighter than the 3 with a weight of 1265 kg.

· Registered
268 Posts

According to the UK brochure, the CX-3 has a ground clearance of 160mm whereas the latest 3 has 155mm.

· Registered
6 Posts
My irritations (the ones that I think could have been fixed without making it a different car...)

1: The armrest. I took it out, so scratch this one... But it was a complete disaster.

2: The visibility / small windows : I want more glass, the blind spot monitor helps, but I like to be able to see when I drive. I get that there is a certain currently in vogue styling that swoops with smaller windows, but I would trade some style on the swoop for a lower window line with better visibility in a minute. Plus the sunroof is small, why, it seems the roof could have a much bigger sunroof.

3: The FM radio preset system. Having 6 hard buttons with FM1/FM2 to give quick access to 12 stations was MUCH better. If I have 12 starred stations, it is a PAIN to go to the 11th one... Why can't I have 15 big buttons on the touch screen in a 5x3 grid with station names? This one is probably hackable, I have yet to get into the entertainment system hacks, but since I know Linux programming, I can probably fix this myself.

· Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My irritations (the ones that I think could have been fixed without making it a different car...)

1: The armrest. I took it out, so scratch this one... But it was a complete disaster.

2: The visibility / small windows : I want more glass, the blind spot monitor helps, but I like to be able to see when I drive. I get that there is a certain currently in vogue styling that swoops with smaller windows, but I would trade some style on the swoop for a lower window line with better visibility in a minute. Plus the sunroof is small, why, it seems the roof could have a much bigger sunroof.

3: The FM radio preset system. Having 6 hard buttons with FM1/FM2 to give quick access to 12 stations was MUCH better. If I have 12 starred stations, it is a PAIN to go to the 11th one... Why can't I have 15 big buttons on the touch screen in a 5x3 grid with station names? This one is probably hackable, I have yet to get into the entertainment system hacks, but since I know Linux programming, I can probably fix this myself.
The easiest way to access the radio channels is by voice command.

· Registered
451 Posts
It seems the ideal car for Americans is an all wheel drive 600hp cupholder.....
That would certainly be in the same league as Jeremy Clarkson's V8 powered blender!

· Registered
6 Posts
It seems the ideal car for Americans is an all wheel drive 600hp cupholder.....
Our problem with the armrest for the most part I think isn't that it blocks the cup holders-

The problem with the armrest is that it blocks the control knobs and buttons and the handbrake.

To use the controls with the armrest, you have to bend your wrist down at a 90 degree angle.

But, worse, for me, If you grab the handbrake and yank it, the corner for the armrest will bruise the back of your hand.

The first day I had the car, the first time I parked, pulled the brake, and the back of my hand almost abraded through the skin.

The cupholder I didn't care about.

· Registered
11 Posts

Did you actually test drive one, or even look at one, before buying???

· Registered
21 Posts
Standard transmission!

Nobody here is interested? I guess that tells the story - I've seen photos of the CX-3 with a stick in other countries so I know they make it. I'd buy the vehicle at the drop of a hat if it had a manual 6-speed.

· Registered
6 Posts
One more irritation I keep having - the calibration of the day/night sensor for the dash lighting and headlights seems way off - it starts thinking it is night and dimming the display and dash lights when it is about 2:30 PM and the first cloud crosses the sky - I often find myself having to manually increase the brightness to max when this happens.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts