Mazda CX-3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just ordered the AA/AC modules and cables from Amazon for $150; It'll be my first mod. My 2019 CX-3 is already on 7.x.21, the most recent software version. Looks like everything disassembles easily enough and I will use the "drill it out" method for removing the USB hub. Seems pretty simple... coming from a Jeep I have no qualms about ripping apart my brand new car :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
$150 for the kit from Amazon and done in an hour. The only issue I had was yanking the old USB hub out... tried the drilling method but ended up using a screwdriver and BFH after to pop the tabs. After that install took about an hour. Everything popped off from the inside if I fished around in the dash so I didn't even need to use a trim tool. Other than the USB thing fighting me this is the easiest mod I've ever done on a vehicle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mazda Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Retrofit Kit 0000-8F-Z34, TK78-66-9U0C https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRPSRKH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZvT9Cb0E5P7A2
Hello
If I understand correctly this kit enabled you to go from updated 70x version to a retro 56x version in order to do the MazdaTweaks install ?

Asking for a French friend with a updated 70x mazda connect version and can't use MazdaTweaks...
No. This was an AA/AC install only. I already have updated 70x firmware and did not make any software modifications.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a appt to get this installed on Monday. It is costing more than I’d like to pay but I don’t want to attempt this myself and I’d like to ensure it is done correctly not to mention they are telling I’d void my warranty if I did it myself.
The cost tho. Ugh ? oh my vehicle is a 2019 cx-3 touring(at least I think that is what it is. ) don’t mind me. My minds been a little foggy lately.
Not sure how they'd void the warranty or on what. Maybe on the infotainment module but they'd have to prove that your modifications caused the failure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a Mazda CX3 Optimum 2018. I can't find any documentation on how to disassemble the side console... ?
I didn't disassemble anything other than removing the CMU. If you're up to it, you can very carefully drill holes in the corners of the old USB module since you're throwing it away anyway. Then it's just a matter of snaking everything around. You can get the CMU panels off by reaching up under the dash from behind the glove box. Just make sure you put some masking tape around the exposed areas 'cuz when you pull the CMU there's a good chance that you'll scratch the crap out of the top of the dash.

This is where I learned that drill trick:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Since version 4.7 of AA now supports wireless conection with some Samsung models I wonder if anyone knows does MZD connect head unit in our cars can connect wirelessly with AA/CP at all?
The US version of the head unit is not wifi enabled by default. There is a hack to enable wireless, and another hack to install the wireless AA headunit app - but it's an older version. I have not tried it. https://mazdatweaks.com/androidauto/

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can you provide a step by step with pictures? I have a 2019 CX3 without android auto. I would like to install this myself. The latest firmware is 70.xxxxx. Do I have really to take out the usb hub it came with?
Yes, you have to take out the USB hub because AA/CP is handled by the hub. It's pretty easy though. I linked a YouTube video of where to drill to remove it without gutting the dash. I didn't take pictures, but here's how to do it:

• Remove the glove box (squeeze, yank)
  • Remove the passenger center kick panel (yank)
  • Reach waaaaaay up into the glove box area and push the two panels off in front of and behind the head unit screen. You can use the handle of a screw driver or something if you need additional reach. Expect your arm to get well beat up by all the pokey bits of metal in there.
  • Mask every exposed edge around the screen/head unit. When you pull it out it WILL scratch the crap out of the dash if you're not careful
  • Unscrew and remove the HU. Disconnect the cables.
  • Drill out the hub carefully as demonstrated in the youtube video. It will be destroyed. It doesn't matter. Pull it out along with the old cables.
  • Wrap the wires the new hub came with in the foam tape they came with. Be careful to do it lengthwise as indicated in the instructions.
  • Snake the wires down from the HU area to the glove box area, then out through the front of the hole for the hub. There will be lots of excess. Connect the hub. Do NOT push it into place yet.
  • Connect up the HU. Test everything.
  • If it all works, bundle up the slack and tuck it somewhere nice and neat, then reassemble your car.

Once you have the various panels removed everything should be pretty readily apparent.

·
Registered
114 Posts
TO:WebDevDan
I am confused because the usb hub in my car looks exactly like the picture from the link you attached in Amazon.

So why I should I buy the same thing I have? What I am thinking is that I need is the software so I can mirror my phone to the dashboard screen? Any thoughts on how to this?
So then it sounds like you already have an AA/CP hub. The standard hub doesn't have the phone icon on top. Have you tried connecting your phone? There's no additional software to install in the car, and you should be able to download android auto on your phone.

This is what a standard hub looks like:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can you send me the link for the software? I do not want to buy a usb hub since the car came with it. Do you have the usb hub with your car?
I have a CX-3 2019 Grand Touring but I know I do not have Android Auto, they only gave me a navigation card instead of Android Auto.

To WebDevDan
I am not sure if I have the phone icon next to the usb port.
There is no software. I'm not entirely sure you understand what it is you're after.

• Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay) requires both an app on your phone and USB ports (the hub) that support it (Or a hack, which on our cars requires disassembling the dash, wires, serial ports... a lot of work, instructions can be found at https://mazdatweaks.com/, and I have no further information nor have I tried that).
  • If the USB ports on your car do not have a phone icon then they do not support android auto natively, they are only designed for media files. You must install a USB hub that does.
  • If the USB ports on your have that icon, then you already have android auto. Download it on your phone, connect it with a USB cord, and you'll be done.
  • The navigation SD card has no bearing on Android Auto whatsoever.

·
Registered
114 Posts
theres a good chance mazdatweaks isnt an option depending on your software level.

[...]

I believe its usb 3.0 speed/power as opposed to 2.0 or 1.#(?) which is in the default usb hub. It does allow better data transfer speeds + charging power. The other thing is mazda's programming in the headunit for official aa/cp checks for this hub. Im not sure if its a power/speed check or maybe even proprietary serials or added chipsets in the usb hub but long story short it wont work without it.
Haven't tried it on mine yet but there are instructions on how to do it with a serial cable for newer software versions. I have a serial to USB adapter and all of the wires necessary, just don't feel like disassembling everything again.

And yes, the official hub is quick charge (I think it's USB 3.0, but Quick Charge 2.0 standard), which is awesome.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, you have to take out the USB hub because AA/CP is handled by the hub. It's pretty easy though. I linked a YouTube video of where to drill to remove it without gutting the dash. I didn't take pictures, but here's how to do it:

• Remove the glove box (squeeze, yank)
  • Remove the passenger center kick panel (yank)
  • Reach waaaaaay up into the glove box area and push the two panels off in front of and behind the head unit screen. You can use the handle of a screw driver or something if you need additional reach. Expect your arm to get well beat up by all the pokey bits of metal in there.
  • Mask every exposed edge around the screen/head unit. When you pull it out it WILL scratch the crap out of the dash if you're not careful
  • Unscrew and remove the HU. Disconnect the cables.
  • Drill out the hub carefully as demonstrated in the youtube video. It will be destroyed. It doesn't matter. Pull it out along with the old cables.
  • Wrap the wires the new hub came with in the foam tape they came with. Be careful to do it lengthwise as indicated in the instructions.
  • Snake the wires down from the HU area to the glove box area, then out through the front of the hole for the hub. There will be lots of excess. Connect the hub. Do NOT push it into place yet.
  • Connect up the HU. Test everything.
  • If it all works, bundle up the slack and tuck it somewhere nice and neat, then reassemble your car.

Once you have the various panels removed everything should be pretty readily apparent.
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the write up so far. I've gotten the old box removed via the drill method, however I'm having a hell of a hard time snaking the new cables through. Head unit/screen to glove box will be no problem but I can't get cables from the old/new usb box area to the glove box. Did you have a CD player in your cx3? it seems like mine is blocking most of the area, I even tried fishing a bent coat hanger through with no luck.

Cheers,
A
Nope, no CD player. 2019s don't have them, which I've come to hate. But... I can see how that might be a problem. If you haven't already yanked the old cables entirely, you could zip tie the old one to the new one and pull it through (gently) as you pull the old one out. Otherwise there will likely be some contortions and a lot of swearing involved trying to snake it through. With the hole wide open in the front though where the old one was you should be able to shine a light through and start finding places to poke things though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts