Mazda CX-3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contacted local dealer and was told parts aren't even in yet. Told me to check in again early Dec.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/inside-mazda/apple-carplay-android-auto/

Launching in the month of September, Mazda Canada will begin offering Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ as a Genuine Mazda Accessory for the 2018 MAZDA6 and 2019 Mazda CX-3 at a special price of $250**. This promotion will only be available for models built prior to the production change as of September 1. Starting in November, 2018 MAZDA6 and 2019 CX-3 models will begin to arrive at dealerships with this technology included as standard equipment.

Both mobile device connectivity technologies first appeared this Summer in the 2019 CX-9 and will be standard in all 2019 vehicles with the exception of the 2019 MX-5.

Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ will enable drivers and passengers to access phone applications through the MAZDA CONNECT infotainment system, making staying informed and entertained effortless while you experience an unparalleled sense of connection to the road. Drivers can switch between different user interfaces and manage the different capabilities of each technology with ease thanks to the Mazda HMI Commander.

Retrofit options for older model year Mazda vehicles with the MAZDA CONNECT infotainment system will become available later this Fall for a price of approximately $443.

·
Registered
303 Posts
that's enough to make me ponder alternate solutions

a popular thread at mazda3revolution.com talks about

https://mazdatweaks.com/

looks promising so far... I'll bet my dealer gave me a "free" firmware upgrade

to serial or no to serial.... that is the question

wouldn't bother me if there was honesty up front .. $500 on a $30k car isn't much.

might annoy the living **** out of local parts counters for my 2019 Mazda CX-3 retrofit kit.

Give em a serial number off a car on their lot :)

damaging to the brand "in my opinion"

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yea.. having a GT with gps already I cant see any benefit justifying android auto except for bragging rights to passengers which is pointless since most other cars now already come with it. At most I use my phone through bluetooth music which is way more convenient than plugging in and connecting my phone and opening the settings every single time. Car can already make calls through bluetooth and last thing I want is my messages to show up to my passengers especially while im driving.

I think the biggest d- move is the fact that all dealers here and even mazda kept saying "android auto is coming soon, just wait for it and itl be ready for your car too :D" yet now that its out only the new models get the "premium discount" while we are hit with $400+ charge. There were some dealers here that promised me it would be included with the purchase as mazda would just push a software update to activate it. I almost believed this seeing as people were "hacking" the infotainment system to run android auto on it. Also fairly certain that dealers will push the price to 500+ citing additional things, fees, and labor needed etc. Lol that price is making my aftermarket android headunit idea looking cheaper and more efficient by the day.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Jeez..
-
Q: How long does the 2018 MAZDA6 and 2019 CX-3 Retrofit program run for?
A: The $250 offer will be available until February 2019.
-
So basically "hurry up bois and get it while its hot otherwise we will charge you even more if you wait"

Marketing perfection imo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeez..
-
Q: How long does the 2018 MAZDA6 and 2019 CX-3 Retrofit program run for?
A: The $250 offer will be available until February 2019.
-
So basically "hurry up bois and get it while its hot otherwise we will charge you even more if you wait"

Marketing perfection imo
The funny thing is when I called my dealer, they said they don't even have the parts yet and don't expect to get it before Dec. I was like what the $%^&*......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea.. having a GT with gps already I cant see any benefit justifying android auto except for bragging rights to passengers which is pointless since most other cars now already come with it. At most I use my phone through bluetooth music which is way more convenient than plugging in and connecting my phone and opening the settings every single time. Car can already make calls through bluetooth and last thing I want is my messages to show up to my passengers especially while im driving.

I think the biggest d- move is the fact that all dealers here and even mazda kept saying "android auto is coming soon, just wait for it and itl be ready for your car too :D" yet now that its out only the new models get the "premium discount" while we are hit with $400+ charge. There were some dealers here that promised me it would be included with the purchase as mazda would just push a software update to activate it. I almost believed this seeing as people were "hacking" the infotainment system to run android auto on it. Also fairly certain that dealers will push the price to 500+ citing additional things, fees, and labor needed etc. Lol that price is making my aftermarket android headunit idea looking cheaper and more efficient by the day.
I have a GT with navi too. The only benefit for me is the USB module upgrade means I can finally charge my phone without a cigarette lighter charger. But I really can't justify spending 250 just so I can charge my phone with the built-in USB ports. Orz

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had assumed my iPhone FLAC apps would play thru the USB ... no fat32, no Bluetooth, and no mp3, for that matter.

Correct?

·
Registered
303 Posts
The benefit would be a navigation system that is not the MAZDA one.. you know with the chargeable updates!!

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
The big benefit of CP/AA is that it isn't the annoying, slow and limited factory NAV system. I'm not convinced the factory nav will re-route based on changing traffic conditions and I know for a fact that its route optimization is crap compared to Google Maps for my commute home (typically 10+ minutes slower over a 45 minute commute).

Also, you'll never have to update the maps stored in memory again since the Apple Maps/Waze/Google Maps are constantly being updated.

The improved integration with various apps like music streaming, podcasts, etc which display them on the screen means you don't have to look as far away from the road to interact with the system.

·
Registered
303 Posts
might annoy the living **** out of local parts counters for my 2019 Mazda CX-3 retrofit kit.
Give em a serial number off a car on their lot :)....
Appointment Friday for the install.. ;)

zoom-zoom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just received the retrofit email today as well. All in all, $250 isn't a terrible "incentive" price to be done with Mazda's clunky MazdaConnect system, however, it does leave a bitter taste knowing that other 2019's bought 2 months after mine get it for free. IMO, if it's being offered on "new" 2019's then it should be included to anyone who has a '19. We shouldn't be penalized for buying the same production run of a vehicle a couple months before others...

If it were included on 2020's, that's totally fine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Please let us know how it went ... and how much it cost :)
$477.69 including all taxes :eek:

Touch screen is disabled for Android Auto :(

A little disappointed at price but happy to finally have it in my 2016

Looks like google assistant will be very useful as it understands my voice commands.

Attached is the dealer invoice for anyone that's looking for the part numbers.

zoom-zoom

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
$477.69 including all taxes :eek:

Touch screen is disabled for Android Auto :(

A little disappointed at price but happy to finally have it in my 2016

Looks like google assistant will be very useful as it understands my voice commands.

Attached is the dealer invoice for anyone that's looking for the part numbers.

zoom-zoom
Lot's of info ... thank you. Presumably, that's in Canadian Dollars.

Note also they checked for A/C condenser corrosion.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lot's of info ... thank you. Presumably, that's in Canadian Dollars.

Note also they checked for A/C condenser corrosion.

Page 3 of invoice indicates changed condenser .
Dealership told me it went from a TSB to a recall.
and yes Canuck bucks. ( So Alberta is plus 5% federal tax, no provincial tax)

week and a half away from becoming a 3-year owner of my CX-3
thus service due by time.

back to original topic......

the Android Auto is a great improvement in

1. voice response
- Google assistant understands me - Mazda does not.
and after understanding me, it will perform many various functions.

2. Google maps and/or Waze - vs occasional updated Mazda Nav.

Still not impressed with the way Mazda went about it, but at least I have it; apparently earlier than release date (for other than 2018 Mazda6 or 2019 CX-3)

Appears to work well ..... time will increase or decrease my evaluation :nerd:

zoom-zoom .. look Waze is warning of radar ahead >:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, you'll never have to update the maps stored in memory again since the Apple Maps/Waze/Google Maps are constantly being updated.
Just rang my dealer to check on the upgrade for a 2016 model - APPLE Carplay primarily for a better GPS, and I was told that Google Maps doesn't work within it. WTF??!!?
Can anyone confirm otherwise?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just rang my dealer to check on the upgrade for a 2016 model - APPLE Carplay primarily for a better GPS, and I was told that Google Maps doesn't work within it. WTF??!!?
Can anyone confirm otherwise?
Google Maps Version 5 and iOS 12 should work. I don't have CarPlay yet, but these are the requirement afaik.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Yes, I use Google Maps via CarPlay in my CX-3 with no problem. iOS 12 is required to make that work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Going in Nov 9 for the upgrade.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts